Confirmed with Link: Maksimov Signed to 3-Year ELC

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I hope Maksimov tells boyd Gordon how he shoots that when he is on the bench and boyd is clapping onetimers in TM's PP

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
That penalty shot goal @9:38...just a filthy set of hands, so dirty.

He's a very intriguing player, he not only can one time the puck but he's also got a sneaky quick wrister.

Assuming he is back in Niagara for his 19 yr old OHL season, he could put up some huge numbers on a team that could be very good with Ben Jones and Akil Thomas.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Love this player. Good skater, good shot, good hands, and more importantly RH shot who can one-time it. Kid knows how to get open in shooting areas.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Guy has very good balance on skates and he finds open ice in the slot. Would be useful when he is NHL ready. We don’t have too much RWers.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Most promising late round pick Oilers have had in forever. Really think this kid could be an NHLer. His right-handed shot would be sorely needed as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Maksimov can play with a bit of a bite as well.
Yup, and he's got good size that he could play a heavy skilled game in the NHL once he matures and fills out. Could be a James Neal type of player stylistically.

Would not be at all surprised if he looks close to NHL ready this training camp. Very intrigued to see if any of Yamamoto, Marody, Benson, or Maksimov kill it in camp and find a spot on opening night roster. I think its unlikely in Maksimov's case, but I'm excited for the skill on the wings that we have coming up. Factor in Puljujarvi hopefully breaking out this year and Safin also with loads of potential down the road, and suddenly I don't hate what the winger depth on this team might look like in a couple years.

I'd imagine we'll see Maksimov at the WJC's next year along with Samorukov and Safin returning, plus likely whoever we take at #10.

Reactions: Zaddy and LaGu

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Does he hit the bodies and score the goals similar to Slepy? Hopefully he has a bit more consistency and hockey IQ.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
How does he compare to Safin? Also, what does he have that will allow him to succeed that Slepyshev didn't have? Not hating on him at all, very excited about this prospect actually. Like Slepyshev he seems to have the tools (skating, shot, physicality, size) I just hope he can put it all together. Although I'd say Maksimov probably has a better shot, better positioning.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How does he compare to Safin? Also, what does he have that will allow him to succeed that Slepyshev didn't have? Not hating on him at all, very excited about this prospect actually. Like Slepyshev he seems to have the tools (skating, shot, physicality, size) I just hope he can put it all together. Although I'd say Maksimov probably has a better shot, better positioning.
Well for starters he was on a much better team than Safin so that is certainly a reason for some of the discrepancy between their production. I think Safin has the better raw tools (better skater, better size, wicked wrister, hands are debatable they both have a good set of hands), but I think Maksimov plays a more mature game with better IQ and playmaking, and I think he's more physically developed than Safin who still needs to grow into his massive lanky frame. I also think that Safin at times can be disengaged from a game, and thats not an area I see in Maksimov.

As for comparison to Slepy, I think Maksimov is a more agile skater with better hands, better hockey IQ, and better playmaking. I think Slepy is probably a better straight line skater, and while he does have a good shot I don't think its as accurate as Maksimov, and I don't think he reads the game as well to find open ice to utilize his one-timer the way that Maksimov is capable of.

I'm a fan of Slepy and still see him as a potential 3rd line scoring winger, but I think Maksimov has the potential to crack an NHL top 6 someday if he continues to develop. I also think Maksimov is a safer pick at this point to be an NHLer compared to Safin, who has serious boom/bust potential because there's still a lot of maturity needed both physically and within his game. If Safin does put it together though, I think he has a much higher ceiling than Maksimov because he has a rare combination of elite size, hands, skating, and shot (at the junior level). If Safin gets dealt to a better team with some actual skill this upcoming season I won't be surprised if he produces 90-100 points in the Q.

Reactions: Digger12

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Why was this guy looked over in the draft last year? He seems he would fit right in.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Ethan Bear?

True, but I was never a big fan of Bear in juniors and I'm still not sure how he ends up as a pro, although so far he has exceeded my expectations for him. I like Maksimov more. I think he could be a legit top6 forward and with that shot of his he should be able to score a lot of goals on the PP.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yup, and he's got good size that he could play a heavy skilled game in the NHL once he matures and fills out. Could be a James Neal type of player stylistically.

Would not be at all surprised if he looks close to NHL ready this training camp. Very intrigued to see if any of Yamamoto, Marody, Benson, or Maksimov kill it in camp and find a spot on opening night roster. I think its unlikely in Maksimov's case, but I'm excited for the skill on the wings that we have coming up. Factor in Puljujarvi hopefully breaking out this year and Safin also with loads of potential down the road, and suddenly I don't hate what the winger depth on this team might look like in a couple years.

I'd imagine we'll see Maksimov at the WJC's next year along with Samorukov and Safin returning, plus likely whoever we take at #10.

As a Niagara Ice Dogs fan I say send him down no matter how ready he looks :D

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
In all seriousness this should be a fun year to Watch Maximov in Junior. Ice Dogs are the early favourites to win their conference this year.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
We need a post 1st rounder to hit. That is the #1 issue with this team, is we never get the hidden gem. We are so effin due.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad