Value of: Make Your Proposal for Sean Monahan

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This is horrible. Please tell me you are joking with this garbage. Sean is still first in goals scored in his draft class, a draft class that includes HF darlings MacKinnon, Barkov, Mantha, and Guentzel. Monahan would fetch much much more than this :laugh:

Better, but still not good enough. I'm one of the few Flames fans open to a futures package for Sean. LA is in our division as well so there's no way a Monahan trade with them doesn't include one of those C prospects. Should probably include another A asset like a 1st round pick as well.

I don’t disagree, but the Kings’ first round pick next year very well could be top five again. Two years of Monahan isn’t worth several years of, say, Owen Power. If this was next offseason and the Kings had either made the playoffs or pushed hard for a spot, then making some trades for immediate help might make sense. But as it stands, LA ought to should bide their time and let their rookies earn spots. Even guys like Bjornfot and Kaliyev are likely worth more to LA than Monahan, simply because the timeline doesn’t really make sense.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Yeah, as a Kings fan, that’s a pretty brutal offer. If I’m LA though, I’m not trading Byfield/Turcotte/Vilardi for Monahan. A package of Kupari + Clague + Grundstrom + our two second round picks might be an interesting package, but that’s a lot of second-tier pieces for one premium piece. I wouldn’t be interested in trading any more than that though, mostly because Calgary is in-division (excluding next season).

Monahan - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Turcotte - Byfield - Vilardi
I wouldn’t expect any of the 3 you mentioned in a deal. I think the package you put together is solid, but a bit lacking like you mentioned. Kupari+Kaliyev+Bjornfot would be my proposal. I think it slightly favours Calgary, but there’s a divisional factor involved. Maybe Calgary could throw in a lesser piece?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think Monahan would be a good fit on a team with an a lot of good playmakers but lacking high slot finishers.

That team IMO is Carolina.

I think something around Monahan for Niederreiter + Bean could make a lot of sense for both teams with both guys coming off of down years.

Nino can be a dominant power forward and a capable finisher who would look good with a Gaudreau - Bennett/Lindholm pair. He'd probably approach 30g 60p in a role like that. Bean could become a solid top 4 offensive RD for Calgary.

Monahan would be an excellent fit on the wing with Aho and TT.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think Monahan would be a good fit on a team with an a lot of good playmakers but lacking high slot finishers.

I think something around Monahan for Niederreiter + Bean could make a lot of sense for both teams with both guys coming off of down years.

Nino can be a dominant power forward and a capable finisher who would look good with a Gaudreau - Bennett/Lindholm pair. He'd probably approach 30g 60p in a role like that. Bean could become a solid top 4 offensive RD for Calgary.

My guess is that’s a easy no for Calgary

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

On the wing? Lol, Monahan is a center.

Get him a play making winger and/or a strong two-way winger. It worked in Calgary, the problem is that he would be better suited as a 1B.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

It makes sense for him to go to Carolina. It doesn't make sense for the return to be unimpactful, and as drab as Nini Niederreiter who has struggles mightily to produce outside of a few good years in Minny and one good year in Carolina, and seems to be about a 30-40 point player at his current stage. He's not a 'dominant' power forward, if he was he'd produce like one. He's a power forward, sure, but no way do his stats suggest domination. Bean is a nice piece to get back but not as the only + piece in return for Monahan.

Reactions: Ciao and Mrfenn92

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I don’t disagree, but the Kings’ first round pick next year very well could be top five again. Two years of Monahan isn’t worth several years of, say, Owen Power. If this was next offseason and the Kings had either made the playoffs or pushed hard for a spot, then making some trades for immediate help might make sense. But as it stands, LA ought to should bide their time and let their rookies earn spots. Even guys like Bjornfot and Kaliyev are likely worth more to LA than Monahan, simply because the timeline doesn’t really make sense.

Monahan is under contract for the next 3 seasons at 6.35 per. Again, he is the highest goal scorer of the 2013 draft class. He's kind of in the prime Jeff Carter range of centers. Not at the top but still pretty damn good.

Would understand the Kings reluctance to part with one of their A pieces, but you've got to give to get. I know fans like to get excited with prospects, but it is unlikely they all hit their ceilings; even the bluechips. Just no reason for the Flames to part with Monahan for anything that's less than fair value or a collection of 2nd rate pieces, especially in division.

edit : but I agree with you, the Kings shouldn't really be rushing anything and are better off playing the patient game

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

The Flames get:
1. Older.
2. Less productive.
3. Less deep at centre.
4. Much less productive in the playoffs.
5. Less well off in terms of contracts, as Neiderreiter become a UFA a year earlier.

The Flames do have interest in a couple of your RWs, but the good ones you don't want to move.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The Flames get:
1. Older.
2. Less productive.
3. Less deep at centre.
4. Much less productive in the playoffs.
5. Less well off in terms of contracts, as Neiderreiter become a UFA a year earlier.

The Flames do have interest in a couple of your RWs, but the good ones you don't want to move.

I'm not a hurricanes fan

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Monahan is under contract for the next 3 seasons at 6.35 per. Again, he is the highest goal scorer of the 2013 draft class. He's kind of in the prime Jeff Carter range of centers. Not at the top but still pretty damn good.

Would understand the Kings reluctance to part with one of their A pieces, but you've got to give to get. I know fans like to get excited with prospects, but it is unlikely they all hit their ceilings; even the bluechips. Just no reason for the Flames to part with Monahan for anything that's less than fair value or a collection of 2nd rate pieces, especially in division.

edit : but I agree with you, the Kings shouldn't really be rushing anything and are better off playing the patient game

Totally. Like I said, I like Monahan and I think Carter is a good comparison. I think he’s a really good 1B center and would be great behind Kopitar. But the package I mentioned is the most I’d be willing to give up right now, because of the Kings’ current circumstances.

A trade for Monahan makes a lot more sense for LA next offseason.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ledge And Dairy

Totally. Like I said, I like Monahan and I think Carter is a good comparison. I think he’s a really good 1B center and would be great behind Kopitar. But the package I mentioned is the most I’d be willing to give up right now, because of the Kings’ current circumstances.

A trade for Monahan makes a lot more sense for LA next offseason.
Totally understandable that LA wouldn't offer what he is worth. Calgary will have a very hard time finding a buyer willing to part with the value the Flames would want, especially this year. which is why he wont be traded at all. Lets say LA was further along in their curve and Calgary was in sell mode, I dont see any situation where the ask for Monahan wouldnt be Turcotte/Vilardi +. Both players were drafted roughly around the same spot and should in theory all have similar ceilings, the difference is the guarantee with Monahan.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Oh your an oilers fan. That explains why you know nothing. Not sure how the guy who lead the team in scoring the playoffs "ghosted"
You are truly one of the most condescending people on this site, which is shocking considering how obvious it is that you blindly follow the scoresheet and don’t actually watch the games. Enjoy being a keyboard warrior my friend, it looks great on ya and ur ridiculous bias. Monahan is great and the Flames shouldn’t move him because we’re a true contender bound for years of playoff success right??

Ledge And Dairy

You are truly one of the most condescending people on this site, which is shocking considering how obvious it is that you blindly follow the scoresheet and don’t actually watch the games. Enjoy being a keyboard warrior my friend, it looks great on ya and ur ridiculous bias. Monahan is great and the Flames shouldn’t move him because we’re a true contender bound for years of playoff success right??
Pot calling the kettle black much? Flames clearly need to scorch earth and tank for a couple seasons after spending 10.5M in free agency on 2 30+ players on 4 and 6 year contracts right? Do everyone a favor and stop making your absurd threads about destroying the core and tanking when you have zero understanding of how economic work.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Pot calling the kettle black much? Flames clearly need to scorch earth and tank for a couple seasons after spending 10.5M in free agency on 2 30+ players on 4 and 6 year contracts right? Do everyone a favor and stop making your absurd threads about destroying the core and tanking when you have zero understanding of how economic work.
Lol Zero understanding of how economic work? Smart. We aren’t a contender, keep lying to urself and it’ll turn out just like the iggy years. Oh no but we cannot possibly make some core changes for.... economic reasons?? Definitely not someone I’d want running my franchise. We have some very valuable core pieces. Monahan isn’t the one we need to keep to win those tough playoff matchups. Stop making it seem like trading Monahan and possibly one other core member is some sort of economic disaster that will ruin this franchise. We can become a better team moving Monahan for the right pieces that put up less on the scoresheet. But apparently since you just condescend, check the stats, and lash out to random strangers, you must know best! Next year when we struggle with Monahan at 1C and move him down the depth chart, away from Johnny, and his production (and value) dips accordingly, you will see. Until then, enjoy the stat watching and angry posting

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Lol Zero understanding of how economic work? Smart. We aren’t a contender, keep lying to urself and it’ll turn out just like the iggy years!!! Oh no but we cannot possibly make some core changes for.... economic reasons?? Definitely not someone I’d want running my franchise. We have some very valuable core pieces. Monahan isn’t the one we need to keep to win those tough playoff matchups. Stop making it seem like trading Monahan and possibly one other core member is some sort of economic disaster that will ruin this franchise. We can become a better team moving Monahan for the right pieces that put up less on the scoresheet. But apparently since you just condescend, check the stats, and lash out to random strangers, you must know best! Next year when we struggle with Monahan at 1C and move him down the depth chart, away from Johnny, and his production (and value) dips accordingly, you will see. Until then, enjoy the stat watching and angry posting
Are you even aware that before the Covid crisis Calgary barely made a net positive income? Rebuilding would put the team well into the negatives and thats not even including the funds going into building the new stadium. Calgary literally cant afford to rebuild like you are so obsessed with doing. If Treliving went to the owners and told them he wanted to rebuild they would laugh at his face.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lol Zero understanding of how economic work? Smart. We aren’t a contender, keep lying to urself and it’ll turn out just like the iggy years. Oh no but we cannot possibly make some core changes for.... economic reasons?? Definitely not someone I’d want running my franchise. We have some very valuable core pieces. Monahan isn’t the one we need to keep to win those tough playoff matchups. Stop making it seem like trading Monahan and possibly one other core member is some sort of economic disaster that will ruin this franchise. We can become a better team moving Monahan for the right pieces that put up less on the scoresheet. But apparently since you just condescend, check the stats, and lash out to random strangers, you must know best! Next year when we struggle with Monahan at 1C and move him down the depth chart, away from Johnny, and his production (and value) dips accordingly, you will see. Until then, enjoy the stat watching and angry posting

We cannot afford to rebuild.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Are you even aware that before the Covid crisis Calgary barely made a net positive income? Rebuilding would put the team well into the negatives and thats not even including the funds going into building the new stadium. Calgary literally cant afford to rebuild like you are so obsessed with doing. If Treliving went to the owners and told them he wanted to rebuild they would laugh at his face.
Do you watch the games? Monahan isn’t this piece holding us together hahaha. You sound aaaabsolutely nuts thinking trading Monahan is this laughable suggestion. We literally know Brad was considering making some changes. Thinking Monahan is this core piece who is our fearless leader is just clear indication you either stat watch or overlook the defensive aspect of the game. Or transition aspect. We have core pieces, we don’t need a complete rebuild. We need a Re-tool. Otherwise we continue to lose money!!!! Like do u get how the economics work? We need to make changes to improve or we’ll continue to get eliminated early and miss out on playoff revenue and more can engagment. Do you honestly think making changes to the core = economic downturn? Do you really think it can get much worse than it is right now, maybe playing 2-3 home playoff games and no excitement?

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
We cannot afford to rebuild.
Imo we can’t afford to spend the 10 mil we spent in FA and continue to be a middle of the pack team lucky to make it out of round 1. If we don’t make changes (re-tool, not re-build) we will continue to bleed money and miss out on important playoff revenue. Staying the course is a recipe for disaster, just as it was in the iggy days. No need to be so dramatic about a re-tool, I’m not saying ship out every core member. We can be a much better playoff caliber team with some personnel adjustments to match our desired style of play, not a complete overhaul

Last edited:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Imo we can’t afford to spend the 10 mil we spent in FA and continue to be a middle of the pack team lucky to make it out of round 1. If we don’t make changes (re-tool, not re-build) we will continue to bleed money and miss out on important playoff revenue. Staying the course is a recipe for disaster, just as it was in the iggy days. No need to be so dramatic about a re-tool, I’m not saying ship out every core member. We can be a much better playoff caliber team with some personnel adjustments to match our desired style of play, not a complete overhaul
See, making the playoffs and getting 2-4 1st round home games in the playoffs is massive for a team who is struggling to make ends meet. That's the bottom line. The extra "10 mil" is expected when spending to the cap but not getting the actual profit from people coming to see games would sink the team.

Ledge And Dairy

Do you watch the games? Monahan isn’t this piece holding us together hahaha. You sound aaaabsolutely nuts thinking trading Monahan is this laughable suggestion. We literally know Brad was considering making some changes. Thinking Monahan is this core piece who is our fearless leader is just clear indication you either stat watch or overlook the defensive aspect of the game. Or transition aspect. We have core pieces, we don’t need a complete rebuild. We need a Re-tool. Otherwise we continue to lose money!!!! Like do u get how the economics work? We need to make changes to improve or we’ll continue to get eliminated early and miss out on playoff revenue and more can engagment. Do you honestly think making changes to the core = economic downturn? Do you really think it can get much worse than it is right now, maybe playing 2-3 home playoff games and no excitement?
I have never said Monahan is elite. He is a fringe 1st line center at best. That's widely known by everyone. However, he is also the best available option at this time and Calgary is not rebuilding. Nobody is going to trade Calgary a better established center than Monahan in a package involving Monahan, that's really basic logic. So a retool involving upgrading Monahan on the fly is not plausible. Now there is the 'option' of trading Monahan for futures that include a prospect with 1C potential like Turcotte, Glass, or Patrick. That is called a rebuild. If Calgary decides to rebuild they are guaranteed not to be making the playoffs for a few years and ticket sales take a massive drop (assuming live audiences open up again in the next year). In 18/19 when Calgary was eliminated in 5 games to Colorado, they made a net income of 3.6M. Roughly 30% of the leagues income comes from gate revenue so if Calgary takes a major hit in gate revenue they will be loosing money every year, all this while spending billions on building a brand new stadium for the 2025 season. Tell me if you were a fan of the Red Wings right now would you buy season tickets? Would you have bought them during the Datsyuk era?
However, there is a solution to not loosing so much money. Keep the core and make adjustments in different areas to try again next year. Try a different approach. A team doesn't need an elite top 10 center in the league to make a deep playoff run and we've seen it happen many times. San Jose in 15/16 and 18/19, Nashville in 16/17, Vegas in 17/18, NYR in 13/14, NJD in 11/12, the list goes on and on.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Lol Zero understanding of how economic work? Smart. We aren’t a contender, keep lying to urself and it’ll turn out just like the iggy years.

Yes, who could forget the dark days of the Iginla years.

Well, except you, of course, because the Flames lost in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final during that era. What a nightmare.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
However, he is also the best available option at this time and Calgary is not rebuilding.

That's highly debatable. I think both Lindholm and Backlund are pretty obviously better choices than Monahan. They are significantly better defensive centers and they both outscored Monahan at ES last season.

Derek Ryan has actually been more productive at 5v5 over the last 100 games despite playing with pretty poor linemates, while also being far superior defensively. And if we go by Sam Bennett's recent performance as a center, he might be too.

Monahan is probably Calgary's best option for a mid slot PP triggerman, and he's become a very good faceoff man, but outside of that it's clear Calgary has several options that are just as good, if not better.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Yes, who could forget the dark days of the Iginla years.

Well, except you, of course, because the Flames lost in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final during that era. What a nightmare.

You’re right, I should’ve said the later Iggy years. When we consistently moved futures in desperate attempts to get over the hump and then didn’t make it past the first round again. Sound familiar?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
On a Cup competing team would Monahan be considered more of the number two minute centre? I’m wondering where he’d actually be a good fit? Maybe Buffalo? What about something like Sam Reinhardt + for Sean?

Liked for continuing the discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad