Speculation: Make up of the Oilers roster 20/21--what might it look like?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No Hall please. We can't afford another superstar player. I'd prefer to spread that cash around the lineup to improve our depth.
Hall for non superstar money would be ideal. Get him on a 1 yr deal with full NMC @7M

Walk away from AA and his 3M+ QO or ideally package him with Puljujarvi for someone like D.Strome.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If Russell,Neal and Chiasson are gone we can afford a 1LW upgrade over AA

I've calling for Russell to be traded for a long time. I actually like the player a fair bit but the cap savings are more valuable to the team.

As much as i would like to move Russell as a betting man I doubt it happens. Oil brass love him even more and moving a 4 mill cap will be difficult this offseason.

Neal isn't going anywhere and should be noted that his play early in the season is a big reason why we are where we are.

Chiasson isn't going anywhere. Plus next year is a contract year he has a decent chance of playing well.

Even assuming we could move all three our cap situation long term does not allow us to sign a 1LW with term. So outside of the fantasy of Hall signing a one year super cheap deal a 1LW isnt possible.

Nurse supposedly is getting resigned big at some point. Bear needs to be paid. Jones moving forward. Bouchard... Yamamoto and RNH need deals at the end of next year...

Any cap space freed up for this upcoming year will be for that year only. We will need to fill a full roster and don't want to be in the situation Toronto was this year either. Some cushion is needed for transactions. Plus the cap will most likely not be going up anymore... all in all we need to dial back expectations significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad