Post-Game Talk: Make it 6!

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I like Z. He's never been my favourite or anything though. I accept what he is. I've accepted his ****** shots/finish for years but now more than ever I feel the offense shouldn't be built around him nor should the PP. The PP looked so good with Green being the main guy and Frans/Tatar kinda holding the puck a bunch. Z needs speed. Tatar and Sheahan aren't slow but not Larkin fast.

To say "he's been great" with a straight face is puzzling. Zetterberg has to be absolutely the slowest player in the league. No amount of elite passing skills can make up for such debilitation. He travels close to the net and will not shoot, he can only pass at this point. The OT shifts, wow I realize how dense is Z's ego and belief in himself, there is no way he steps down.

We're winning but to get excited the Wings have a shot with a 6.5 million former super star being carried along like this is preposterous.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
He might not be able to skate but he's as strong as an ox and his passing is as good as anyone..

Hes no longer even that. Cant win a puck battle to save his life anymore. Being able to pass is not the reason he should be no1 TOI and out there in 3v3 situation. I wonder by what game he will finally get his first goal.... Rocking 2 EVS points despite getting 18mins+ TOI.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
SndMC95.gif

Marchenko made a nice defensive play on Tarasenko to set up the shorty.
While it was a great play to steal the puck, it seems to me he fanned on it and he was lucky it came to the wings.
The whole game is running through Z, 21:18 most TOI again. I've stated my disagreement with his usage but am accepting this is one of those Red Wings things that won't change. He might not be able to skate but he's as strong as an ox and his passing is as good as anyone. Unbelievable vision. I find it a corny decision to depend this much on the captain but it's something I've come to terms with.
I think it will change after 10/20 games.
We also sorely missed Vanek.

Vanek is just a PP beast. Always has been.

I did not know he was injured. Our best player so far along with Howard .

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Was really hoping for a big game from Sproul, pretty sure he's on a tight leash :/ Sure hope that smith gets benched once kroner gets back

Green-dd
Kronner Sproul
E-marchenko

If Kronwall somehow can come back and play as a 2/3# Dman ( unlikely maybe) then we could have a capable defense on our hands. Hence "capable", not good.

Oct 18, 2006
Boys are playing well. Tough game, big two points.

Can I just say that Riley Sheahan absolutely stinks right now. Worst player on the ice.

Marchenko impressed me.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think if we took any team's best two players away from them, we'd be better than that team.

Ha! Yes probably! I guess what I mean is that despite their size and speed, the skill level of much of the Blues core isnt any better for ours.

Ironically of course, its probably much harder to work out our two best players than it is for most teams...

Blues fan here, coming in peace! Full disclosure, I have hated the Redwings for almost 30 years as the Redwings ended Blues postseasons year after year when we were in the same division. Tonight was a fun, end to end game that didn't have the animosity or hatred the two teams had in the past. Good game, both teams had their moments, I feel your goalie stole two points tonight. I learned that I no longer really hate the Redwings, lol. Now it is only the Blackhawks. And maybe the Kings and Sharks in the West, lol.

Everyone should hate the Blackhawks!

A good end to end game I thought, where Mrazek was better than Allen. Allen's shorthanded save % this season is mad though...it was at .963 even before last night.

Embarrassing show from Helm. The second I start raving he goes and has a game like this. So many stumbles, fumbles, getting burned multiple times. Most the team wasn't great. Meh Mrazek was a superstar again the 1st half of the game saved us.

The overtime was a little annoying, the face-palming mistakes and lack of discipline. Zetterberg takes over a minute shift, also Tatar way too long out there. I'd describe OT as amusing rather than entertaining.

Helm wasn't great in the Ozone, but was excellent defensively.

Tatar shouldn't be with Z. Z frustrates me so much. I cannot stand him grinding into a corner and throwing a bank shot at the net. Thats just me though. I feel whoever plays long-term with Z will struggle to score, besides Larkin maybe

He is slow as hell, and his shot has gone, but he is still the best passer on this team by a mile. With better finishing by his teammates he'd have had 3 assists tonight.

We also sorely missed Vanek.

Vanek is just a PP beast. Always has been.

This. His positioning around the net is so so smart

Hes no longer even that. Cant win a puck battle to save his life anymore. Being able to pass is not the reason he should be no1 TOI and out there in 3v3 situation. I wonder by what game he will finally get his first goal.... Rocking 2 EVS points despite getting 18mins+ TOI.

Funny, I thought his board play and cycling down low has been really good the last three games. Ultimately though he should be at about 14 TOI at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
You could really tell Vanek wasn't in the game. His passing and play around the net being missing was very obvious.

Tatar shouldn't be with Z. Z frustrates me so much. I cannot stand him grinding into a corner and throwing a bank shot at the net. Thats just me though. I feel whoever plays long-term with Z will struggle to score, besides Larkin maybe

Funny you say that considering how many great passes to Tatar from Z has lead to absolutely nothing because Tatar couldn't finish.

Zetterberg is very slow and can barely shoot the puck at all because of his back, so it's very obvious he needs to play with faster players that can finish his amazing passes. Guess that's not Tatar?

I wish Larkin was ready for center, so we could run Zetterberg on his wing along with AA or Nyquist.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA

Tatar playing with anybody will struggle to score. Has to be my least favorite player on the roster right now.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
stop it I still hate the blues. :popcorn: I still have no feelings about the teams in the Wings conference.

Really? I really cannot stand the Lightning. I'll root for anybody over them, including the Penguins.

??? According to the write up on NHL.com we've won our last 5 games in STL?

Anyway, I loved Z's troll-face at the end. Someone needs to meme that sucker.

Correct.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
To say "he's been great" with a straight face is puzzling. Zetterberg has to be absolutely the slowest player in the league. No amount of elite passing skills can make up for such debilitation. He travels close to the net and will not shoot, he can only pass at this point. The OT shifts, wow I realize how dense is Z's ego and belief in himself, there is no way he steps down.

We're winning but to get excited the Wings have a shot with a 6.5 million former super star being carried along like this is preposterous.

Z was a little high in icetime in this one but almost 5 minutes of PP time will do that. 63% on faceoffs (Glenny, Helm and Nielsen all got destroyed in the circle), 5 SOG (team-high), many nice plays including one that should have been the game-winner if Tatar had any finish this season. And when no one else would, he stepped up and got us the SO win.

Yes he is extremely slow. No, he is no longer a goalscorer at all. But you guys are underrating the good things he is actually doing. Still the team's best playmaker by far. Killing it in the faceoff circle. Making tons of smart little plays with the puck. Imo enjoy the last of Z's brilliance on display instead of only focusing on the negative. Soon he will be gone too, basically the last remnant of the Wings golden era.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
You could really tell Vanek wasn't in the game. His passing and play around the net being missing was very obvious.

Agreed. Speaks in favor of his previous performances. Hoping for him to get back just in time for the game on Saturday. Luckily we stole those two points without him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Imo enjoy the last of Z's brilliance on display instead of only focusing on the negative. Soon he will be gone too, basically the last remnant of the Wings golden era.

Don't you go making me sad on a Friday morning.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Z was a little high in icetime in this one but almost 5 minutes of PP time will do that. 63% on faceoffs (Glenny, Helm and Nielsen all got destroyed in the circle), 5 SOG (team-high), many nice plays including one that should have been the game-winner if Tatar had any finish this season. And when no one else would, he stepped up and got us the SO win.

Yes he is extremely slow. No, he is no longer a goalscorer at all. But you guys are underrating the good things he is actually doing. Still the team's best playmaker by far. Killing it in the faceoff circle. Making tons of smart little plays with the puck. Imo enjoy the last of Z's brilliance on display instead of only focusing on the negative. Soon he will be gone too, basically the last remnant of the Wings golden era.

Good point.

Agreed. Speaks in favor of his previous performances. Hoping for him to get back just in time for the game on Saturday. Luckily we stole those two points without him.

Vaner has been our MVP so far, so yes we missed him. With him, we win this game.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Yeah Zetterberg has been an absolutely beast on faceoffs this season. 60% thus far.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nielsen chilling at 41% on faceoffs on the season... What the hell?

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Z has been great imo. He's so smart, and still hard to take the puck from when he has it. Slow as hell but he has been setting up a lot of plays. Tatar should have scored another 3-4 goals this season off Zetterberg passes.

Good point..have to finish those: grade a chances:

Maybe a old guard line..Frans, z and the tv :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Then make a speed line with the kids...The Pubescents. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad