Post-Game Talk: Make it 6!

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Which speaks volumes about how the rest of the game went if the third was considered a success. St.Louis repeatedly had more quality chances and had us chasing.

Now, it doesn't matter if Tatar and Nyquist could bury their chances, but they didn't. And stuff like that often gets you killed playing rope-a-dope against a better team. Instead, the shootout offered the best reason for why we won: our goalie was very good and no one could finish - on either team.

detroit had more net front opportunities

DETBLUE.png

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
This is fun, so far. There's no amount of money I would've bet on us being tied with Edmonton for the second best record in the NHL, even at this early point in the season.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
This is fun, so far. There's no amount of money I would've bet on us being tied with Edmonton for the second best record in the NHL, even at this early point in the season.

Yeah I agree in that respect. I'm normally one of the more pessimistic posters by far. But I have been enjoying the hot run so far. But it is nice to see the team playing with an intent on rising to the challenge so far.

This year it really seems up to this point they give a ****. Granted it could be cause the wheels are all still fresh and spinning smoothly. But they have fire, energy, and effort. Which is exactly the opposite of what they had last season.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Thank goodness for Mrazek, especially in OT when Zetterberg wouldn't get off the freaking ice. What was he doing?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
detroit had more net front opportunities

DETBLUE.png

no, they had more net front shots, which be anything from Nyquist blowing a shot off the goalie's shoulder to someone flailing a puck into the goalie's pads.

Also, that's for the whole game. Maybe the Wings had a better second period, but I've been arguing the third period was weak and if you think the third period was strong, that doesn't reflect well on the rest of the game.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
no, they had more net front shots, which be anything from Nyquist blowing a shot off the goalie's shoulder to someone flailing a puck into the goalie's pads.

Also, that's for the whole game. Maybe the Wings had a better second period, but I've been arguing the third period was weak and if you think the third period was strong, that doesn't reflect well on the rest of the game.

I think they had a weak first period which was to be expected. But the boys weathered that storm and played a solid game the rest of the way.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
As for the game, Wings need to do a better job in limiting turn over during transition but at the same time, they shouldn't be wasting too much time making pass. Maybe there's a way we can move the puck side way and up to make it easy somewhat. It's kinda hard to move the puck up through heavy traffic.

During PP, I though the low to high play was neat but since Wings have so many guys down low, it could also turn into a SH situation. Teams are already looking for SH chances against Wings so gotta be careful.

Green was good as always. It probably was Ericsson's best game in quite a while. His strength was a huge asset and tied the stick well. I wish DDK was bit more stronger. He wasn't bad and made few good read but would have helped if he was bit stronger so he can deal with fore checking a bit better in some situation.

If I remember well Helm made quite a few turn over, I think his puck handling skill is kinda failing. Tatar looked very frustrated but it wasn't that good game for him. AA was great. hmm what else... Nielson was great Ott was great.

I remember after 1st Mrazek was playing very well and then I saw those super slow mo camera of him making save and it was unreal. He was making save with hill of his glove, extending his blocker to the shot that changed direction at the last minute. He was tracking puck like a superhuman. Carey Price is obviously a very good goalie but for him, it's always about making the first save. You look at Montreal and they have 5 guys deep in their zone basically covering for Price. Taking care of cross ice and rebounds. Their whole defensive system is Carey Price essentially. Mrazek doesn't have nearly same support but he's just amazing.

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

After the first period the Wings definitely had more net front opportunities. The majority of the Blues' chances in the 2nd and 3rd consisted of point shots.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Ericsson's been the **** all year. No idea why but I'll take it. Just don't put him back with Kronner. Keep E/M. Also, man, Ott can read plays offensively. Ott>Miller I think, thus far at least.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Big E has been pretty good so far but I wonder if his hip will hold up? Surprisingly good when he's not a top pair

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
You know Ericsson has been good when he's actually being praised and recognized for doing so. It's hard to imagine it's the same player from roughly six months ago. He needs to be on the left side no matter what anyway, so no Kronwall pairing should happen again.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

On my own scoring chance data, game went like this:

Scoring attempts, DET @ STL:
0 -10min, attempts 4-4 (quality chances 1-2)
10-20min, 0-9 (quality 0-4)

20-30min, 5-6 (quality 3-3)
30-40min, 7-3 (quality 4-0)

40-50min, 6-1 (quality 3-1)
50-60min, 3-7 (quality 1-3)

Total quality chances: 12-13
Overtime: 4-3

Quality chances were 2-9 for Blues, until Nielsen tied the game "from nothing". It killed totally Blues momentum. Next 6 quality chances went to wings and those were 8-9 after 2 periods.

Red Wings had better first 10min at 3rd period (quality chances 3-1) but Blues had better later half (chances 1-3).

Quality chances were 12-13 for Blues after 60mins.

At Overtime, they went 4-3 for Red Wings. So, after 65 mins, quality chances were tied 16-16.

It was a tie game, with many huge changes side-by-side on momemtum.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
On my own scoring chance data, game went like this:

Scoring attempts, DET @ STL:
0 -10min, attempts 4-4 (quality chances 1-2)
10-20min, 0-9 (quality 0-4)

20-30min, 5-6 (quality 3-3)
30-40min, 7-3 (quality 4-0)

40-50min, 6-1 (quality 3-1)
50-60min, 3-7 (quality 1-3)

Total quality chances: 12-13
Overtime: 4-3

Quality chances were 2-9 for Blues, until Nielsen tied the game "from nothing". It killed totally Blues momentum. Next 6 quality chances went to wings and those were 8-9 after 2 periods.

Red Wings had better first 10min at 3rd period (quality chances 3-1) but Blues had better later half (chances 1-3).

Quality chances were 12-13 for Blues after 60mins.

At Overtime, they went 4-3 for Red Wings. So, after 65 mins, quality chances were tied 16-16.

It was a tie game, with many huge changes side-by-side on momemtum.

This is a great sign. Shows the Wings can hang with a great team on the road no less after they came off a loss. You knew they'd come out strong in the first

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Anyone think it's about time Glendening and Helm work on some breakaway drills?

Glendening doesnt have strong stickhandling skill but when he is coming with speed maybe he can freeze goalie with a move and then put it past him. As of right now, it seems such wasted golden opportunities and there will be time when we need those goals.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Anyone think it's about time Glendening and Helm work on some breakaway drills?

Glendening doesnt have strong stickhandling skill but when he is coming with speed maybe he can freeze goalie with a move and then put it past him. As of right now, it seems such wasted golden opportunities and there will be time when we need those goals.

Maybe Draper could help. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad