Make Giroux Our Captain

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
And then if the team sucks next season, should we strip Giroux of the captaincy?

Giroux in 2025
Sanderson in 2026
Stützle in 2027

Just switch up the captaincy on a yearly basis, no one is worthy.
Everybody knows nothing matters more than going to the max to piss off the blue menace, so cannot be other than Captain Clapper, (Riddler) Grieg!

Reactions: PlayOn

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
Brady has 'it' but he could have definitely used a little more seasoning. The captaincy was premature and a knee-jerk reaction to the contract negotiation. We all wanted and expected it but was it the smartest decision in hindsight? - ehh...

I do believe Brady is still a tad bit immature. Understandable given his age but true 'leadership' goes a whole lot deeper than on-ice performance, media sound bites, and 'good vibes.' He has a bit too much of the 'partying' 'living my best life' type attitude which spreads to the rest of the team. Set a f***in example. Crosby, MacKinnon, Stamkos - time to leave the old life behind.

You strip him of the captaincy now or even worse, trade him, we'll be regretting it for the next half century when he finally matures and brings out the beast which dwells inside him. Wait it out and hope for the best.
Agreed 100% I like Brady but it seems to be issues with alcohol/partying in the team. I suspect the horrible record against western teams has something to do with that. There must be some explanation to us going like 0-13-1 when playing west of the eastern time zone this year!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Why? So people can complain he's not a good leader when he goes 13 games without a goal?

13 game goalless drought and still more points than our captain. And keep in mind he's a few years away from retirement. Tkachuk is in the middle of his prime in terms of offensive production.

Reactions: Adrianopolous

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think that we as fans put a lot more stock in who is wearing which letter than the guys in the room do. Leadership is kind of organic, and Giroux can do everything that he needs to do without wearing the C. The guys all respect him, and when he speaks they listen. You can see it with the officials also - Giroux gets way more rope to talk to them and bitch about calls than almost anyone else, because he is a 16 year vet who has earned the right. Just leave it like it is - doing that would cause all kinds of needless drama that I am sure Giroux himself wouldn't want...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Already now Giroux is the leader on this team. He's the one player who gives it all every single night, he's the guy who has his head down after losses, he's the guy who steps up when games are close.

I don't think Tkachuk is equipped to deal with the dissapointment that this year has been with the expectations. You can see this season was hard on him both on and off the ice.

All that to say, Chychrun talked about it the other day and said they can't rely on Giroux to be the guy every night, and then mentionned Brady. I think that's a pretty clear statement. G is the guy who leads the team on the ice by example, and in the room I would assume it's definitely the case as well. He's the captain without the letter.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I'll have to disagree with you on this man my man

first of all, Giroux will be gone after next year..

otown

Sep 4, 2009
No doubt about it that he is the leader and well respected without the "C".
Tkachuk would be out of town in no time if he was ever stripped of the C.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
If you put a bowtie on a pig does the pig turn into a Stanley Cup contender?

It's a bad analogy but switching captains would have Tkachuk asking out and the Sens would still be bad.

Reactions: Dionysus

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
So I was watching Brady during the Isles game yesterday. On the plus side, he scored 3 times and won the game. The downside is that he has moments where he floats and cheats which can create defensive gaps. He needs to be a 200’ player for the whole 60 mins if he aspires to be a great captain.

Reactions: Crosside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad