Value of: Make a Trade with San Jose

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
:sharks

Had a decent run, but decent runs are not enough for a cup-hungry franchise. They traded for EK65 last season (re-signed and ready to go), and then Nyquist later on. They really want to win. Are you able to make a trade to help them remain in contending status better than most?

Make a trade with your favorite team with this team that MAKES SENSE FOR BOTH SIDES. It can be 1 for 1, taking on a bad contract, flipping 7th rounders, whatever you deem necessary to not only make your team better but the other one too. If it's a rebuilding/retooling side they obviously want something for the future.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Do they have the cap space and/or need for Bjugstad?

I guess that would depend on if Thornton retires, anybody know if he is?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Do they have the cap space and/or need for Bjugstad?

I guess that would depend on if Thornton retires, anybody know if he is?

I think Joe will play one more year... but if not I like Bjugstad. Just probably don’t have the cap space or the willingness to move the assets it would take.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I'm sure either Dillon or Braun will be dealt now that EK has re-signed. Each have 1 yr left. Dillon's cap hit is $3.2m and Braun's $3.8m.
Sharks need cap space so looking for only a pick or prospect.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Braun, Dillon, M. Karlasson, and Dell are all available for picks. I have Braun in the low 1st/2nd (mulitple?) range, Dillon low 2nd/3rd, Karlsson for a 4th, and a bag of teeth for Dell.

Picks can be in '19, '20, or'21.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Braun, Dillon, M. Karlasson, and Dell are all available for picks. I have Braun in the low 1st/2nd (mulitple?) range, Dillon low 2nd/3rd, Karlsson for a 4th, and a bag of teeth for Dell.

Picks can be in '19, '20, or'21.
Braun doesn't get you a 1st (even a low first) with one year remaining on his contract and he's 32 now. You're looking at a 2nd + medium prospect at best IMO. Muzzin a better/younger defenseman with an extra year left got a late 1st + good prospect + medium prospect.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
NJ will give you a first second and third for Meier if you choose not to match our offer sheet of 8 million X 5 years

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Braun doesn't get you a 1st (even a low first) with one year remaining on his contract and he's 32 now. You're looking at a 2nd + medium prospect at best IMO. Muzzin a better/younger defenseman with an extra year left got a late 1st + good prospect + medium prospect.

Got to start high right?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks’ biggest needs at this time are a top-4 LHD (bonafide 2nd pair is fine) and a proven top line winger. (Can be LW or RW) They could probably use a long term 3C going forward.

Their cap situation is a bit weird, but they could potentially have a lot of space if they let some players walk and trade some players as well.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
NJ will give you a first second and third for Meier if you choose not to match our offer sheet of 8 million X 5 years

We would match that in a heartbeat and I don’t think Meier would sign it.

What's the price on Kevin Labanc?
Unlikely cap casualty but the potential is there

An upgrade at wing or an LD. I don’t see him going for pennies on the dollar.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Sharks’ biggest needs at this time are a top-4 LHD (bonafide 2nd pair is fine) and a proven top line winger. (Can be LW or RW) They could probably use a long term 3C going forward.

Their cap situation is a bit weird, but they could potentially have a lot of space if they let some players walk and trade some players as well.

We don't need a top 4 LHD w/ Vlasic and Simek. Probably just looking for a good 3rd pairing LD with a lower AAV than Dillon. Ideally, a good PKer, too, so we don't have to rely on Burns and EK.

And we need a winger for the top line but not a "top line winger". Someone who can pair w/ Hertl and Couture but not shit the bed. Solid 2-way player, good along the boards and can set up Hertl or Juicy - who should be the main goal scorers for that line.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We don't need a top 4 LHD w/ Vlasic and Simek. Probably just looking for a good 3rd pairing LD with a lower AAV than Dillon. Ideally, a good PKer, too, so we don't have to rely on Burns and EK.

And we need a winger for the top line but not a "top line winger". Someone who can pair w/ Hertl and Couture but not **** the bed. Solid 2-way player, good along the boards and can set up Hertl or Juicy - who should be the main goal scorers for that line.

Simek has 41 games of NHL experience playing soft minutes next to a Norris winner and averaging 15:13 per game. He’s also coming off of a serious injury and we don’t know how he will be upon returning. The team would be best to acquire a proven top-4 guy instead of just assuming he will be ready for it.

Right now, it’s not looking like any one of Donskoi, Pavelski, or Nyquist will be re-signed. In that case, the Sharks top RW is Kevin Labanc and he really isn’t built for top line minutes against top competition. Then, below him they’ve got Sasha Chmelevski probably coming up as the next guy. They’ll need a legit top line winger who can play top competition if they want to succeed with Labanc as their 2RW and Chmelevski at 3RW. That can be an LW to push Meier to the right side of the top line or an RW but that’s their biggest need if they don’t re-sign any of Nyquist/Pavelski/Donskoi.

Kadri and Nylander...

Ahhh...no. I don't think EK will be healthy enough to fulfill that contract.

Yeah, I’ll take either one of those guys. What are you asking for?

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
We don’t know - those kinds of things don’t generally reported in San Jose until they’re done - but I would guess he is looking at a bridge deal around 2Y/$3M.
Mate, dude is coming off a f***in 30/30 season where he potted 66 points. He sure as shit ain't signing a 3m/y deal. He might not even sign a 6m/y deal.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Mate, dude is coming off a ****in 30/30 season where he potted 66 points. He sure as **** ain't signing a 3m/y deal. He might not even sign a 6m/y deal.

I assumed that post was about Kevin Labanc.

For Meier, $3M is extremely low but it’s actually a similar cap hit percentage to what Couture took on a bridge deal coming off his ELC. Couture was a 30/30 guy with 30 goals in both seasons of his career and he took 4.47% of the cap. That’s $3.7M/2Y if Meier signs with a $83M cap ceiling.

I think something like $4-5M/2Y is more realistic for Timo but we’ll see.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Simek has 41 games of NHL experience playing soft minutes next to a Norris winner and averaging 15:13 per game. He’s also coming off of a serious injury and we don’t know how he will be upon returning. The team would be best to acquire a proven top-4 guy instead of just assuming he will be ready for it.

Right now, it’s not looking like any one of Donskoi, Pavelski, or Nyquist will be re-signed. In that case, the Sharks top RW is Kevin Labanc and he really isn’t built for top line minutes against top competition. Then, below him they’ve got Sasha Chmelevski probably coming up as the next guy. They’ll need a legit top line winger who can play top competition if they want to succeed with Labanc as their 2RW and Chmelevski at 3RW. That can be an LW to push Meier to the right side of the top line or an RW but that’s their biggest need if they don’t re-sign any of Nyquist/Pavelski/Donskoi.

Yeah, I’ll take either one of those guys. What are you asking for?

I get your concern about Simek stepping as the top 4 in his 2nd season and coming off an injury but highly doubt DW goes for a top 4 LD given our situation. I'd be happy w/ a Chiarot or Nemith at the 3rd LD if Dillon is traded.

Re: winger for the top line, I agree there's a hole to be filled but it may be semantics, we can't afford to pay a "top line winger". We need someone who can play on the top line. The difference will be in the AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad