Value of: Make a Trade with Pittsburgh

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Trade protection aside, Kessel would fit NYI needs pretty well.

See anything on the NYI roster/farm that you like and you reasonably think we'd deal, Pittsburgh fans?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Trade protection aside, Kessel would fit NYI needs pretty well.

See anything on the NYI roster/farm that you like and you reasonably think we'd deal, Pittsburgh fans?
The price will undoubtedly be higher for a close division rival. Probably have to part with a piece you don’t want to. There are some nice pieces, but I can almost guarantee JR does not send Kessel there haha

I’d be interested in Bailey and Wilde for Kessel if we weren’t in the same division

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Would you do this if we throw in Rust for Kap?
I personally wouldn’t. Kap is too important to our PK and our top 9. If he’s traded it needs to be in a deal for a top 4 RHD. Not sure if you’d want Brown for Rust though...

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I personally wouldn’t. Kap is too important to our PK and our top 9. If he’s traded it needs to be in a deal for a top 4 RHD. Not sure if you’d want Brown for Rust though...

Rust is probably better on the PK than Kap. Rust can slot in the top 9 as well with ease. He has a few Stanley cups under his belt and can bring leadership.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Rust is probably better on the PK than Kap. Rust can slot in the top 9 as well with ease. He has a few Stanley cups under his belt and can bring leadership.
Rust is a good player, I would just rather keep Kapanen out of the deal.

Reactions: ownal

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Jack Johnson is the only real cap dump. Maatta, Hornqvist, etc should all have some sort of value even if we have to take salary back.

How long is he going for? And as a dump...is there anything you would surrender to be rid of him?

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
How long is he going for? And as a dump...is there anything you would surrender to be rid of him?
Penguins are likely in a position where they really have to reason with any offer thrown at them more than likely. I would bite the bullet and dump him for a couple picks in the future, but considering Rask (4M for 3 years) for Johnson (3.25M for 4 years) was discussed as a side piece to the Kessel/Zucker deal, JR may be content on taking on another bad contract, so he will listen to all offers if he thinks it makes us a better team, and most deals where we get rid of JJ probably make us better.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Penguins are likely in a position where they really have to reason with any offer thrown at them more than likely. I would bite the bullet and dump him for a couple picks in the future, but considering Rask (4M for 3 years) for Johnson (3.25M for 4 years) was discussed as a side piece to the Kessel/Zucker deal, JR may be content on taking on another bad contract, so he will listen to all offers if he thinks it makes us a better team, and most deals where we get rid of JJ probably make us better.

Well if it comes down to it, depending on where those picks are, the Canucks have the space.

Oh and Johnson is 3 years at just over 3 per season, correct? Sorry I'm at work and I'm having a hard time staying focused enough to check myself.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well if it comes down to it, depending on where those picks are, the Canucks have the space.

Oh and Johnson is 3 years at just over 3 per season, correct? Sorry I'm at work and I'm having a hard time staying focused enough to check myself.
I would say if we're trading Johnson+ for nothing the difference would probably be close to a 2nd round pick, and his deal is for 4 more years at 3.25 million. The Penguins don't have any 2nds until 2021 as well.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I would say if we're trading Johnson+ for nothing the difference would probably be close to a 2nd round pick, and his deal is for 4 more years at 3.25 million. The Penguins don't have any 2nds until 2021 as well.

I've seen worse offers today.

Is he, well not redeemable, but decent as a pick mover or PP guy?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Jim Rutherford:

“Changes are coming,” Rutherford said. “Changes are in order, for sure. At this point in time, I don’t know exactly what they are going to be. It’s hard to say right now, but changes are coming. I’ll say this, though. I don’t think we’re going to make any changes that I would refer to as massive. I’d say I’m looking to re-tool more than anything.”

Penguins off season is gonna be fun.

Reactions: iFishyHD

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And certainly not as fun as 4 cups in 10 years :sarcasm::nod:

Incidentally, the list of Pens players that fit that sort of "retool" label if going, in order of most likely to least, probably runs -

Johnson
Maatta
Rust
Bjugstad
Schultz
Gudbranson
Dumo/Guentzel - very unlikely to go, but if anyone wants to knock our socks off...

Anybody else is either too big or too small in terms of contract/status to qualify.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
And certainly not as fun as 4 cups in 10 years :sarcasm::nod:

Incidentally, the list of Pens players that fit that sort of "retool" label if going, in order of most likely to least, probably runs -

Johnson
Maatta
Rust
Bjugstad
Schultz
Gudbranson
Dumo/Guentzel - very unlikely to go, but if anyone wants to knock our socks off...

Anybody else is either too big or too small in terms of contract/status to qualify.
If someone wants to take JJ off our hands without us giving a 1st, yes please.

Maatta I think we should keep unless we can get an upgrade on LHD.

I would love to trade Bjugstad I don’t really like him.

Would trade Schultz if we can get another RHD maybe via Kessel.

Don’t want to trade Rust.

Gudbranson is awful would love to trade him, again don’t want to have to pay a 1st though.

I think you should add Hornqvist to the list of probably a target trade of re-tool.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My bad, Hornqvist was meant ot be on that list after Bjugstad.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Kessel to NJ for Nashville second.
If he is on their trade list and it is only an eight team trade list we have to assume that not all those teams want him or those teams may have cap issues as well. It could be down to 2-3 teams bidding and it all depends on who his willing to give up enough to make sense for that certain teams direction at this time.
If Pittsburgh is desperate to move up they might just bite at the second and if not negotiate from there.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Kessel to NJ for Nashville second.
If he is on their trade list and it is only an eight team trade list we have to assume that not all those teams want him or those teams may have cap issues as well. It could be down to 2-3 teams bidding and it all depends on who his willing to give up enough to make sense for that certain teams direction at this time.
If Pittsburgh is desperate to move up they might just bite at the second and if not negotiate from there.

Absolutely no interest in moving Kessel for a 2nd round pick. Like, none whatsoever. Let me remind you that he's a PPG player on a steal of a contract.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Absolutely no interest in moving Kessel for a 2nd round pick. Like, none whatsoever. Let me remind you that he's a PPG player on a steal of a contract.
There are many factors that affect the value of a player. Not just his PPG.
Is he worth more than a second. Absolutely. But he was also worth a hell of a lot more than what Pittsburgh paid for him.
At the time he was traded from Toronto there wasn’t many teams that could afford his contract or where willing to take on that type of player.
Of the 8 teams he named on his list. How many have no cap room and can’t afford him? How many are rebuilding and don’t want him as it doesn’t fit their current needs? How many just don’t have the assets or are not compatible with Pittsburgh when it comes to swapping assets? Is he a PPG player without a power play that consists of two of the best offensive players in the league? What about if doesn’t play on a line with a Malkin or Crosby caliber player? What if he is traded to a team like Minnesota for example and he isn’t player with an elite player? Or NJ where maybe playing with a rookie in Hughes?
If Pittsburgh is desperate to get rid of a contract his value might not be what we think it is. He is still only 31 which is normally when players leave their prime.
Rutherford has said that Kessel isn’t likely to be traded probably because of the reasons that I have listed. But if they ended up desperate to trade him I am not saying he is worth a second. NJ would have to add more but I am sure that’s what they would start with when negotiating like I explained in my original post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad