Value of: Make a Trade with Columbus

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
CBJ fan here. I think the biggest need will be finding a top 6 center should Duchene not come back. Looking at the pending free agents, this is what will likely have to be addressed via trade. I see a winger being acquired in free agency as well.

Cap space sitting at about $31-32M right now with the exodus of free agents. (Panarin, Duchene, and Bob will get about that much, collectively). Strength of the roster is certainly defense - Jones likely being the only true untouchable, then Werenski next most valuable. And Dubois probably the third and final player that approaches “untouchable” status due to the top 6 center concerns.

Will be very interesting to see which a direction Jarmo goes with this one. Some people think all hope is lost without the big free agents, I see flexibility to make moves.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Just for information:

Wennberg is a candidate to be moved. And the Jackets have a nice batch of second-tier defensemen, including a couple names mentioned in here in Murray and Savard (who is tricky because he's upped his value but perhaps moveable because, well, he's upped his value). Also Markus Nutivaara, maybe.

It goes without saying the team is short on picks at this year's draft, and I'm sure Jarmo is planning on adding some somehow, but I don't think it's picks or bust.

Jackets also have 3 young goalies who weren't in NA last year signed to ELCs. Add them to RFA Joonas Korpisalo and I don't think the CBJ will be looking at goalies (whether or not you think it's a good idea).

Hope this helps.

I wonder given the the success in Carolina how many teams start the season with more unproven goalies. I had Columbus as one of the destinations I could see Quick playing, however I think he needs to show case himself in LA first.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Top-6 LW, Top-6 C, Top-4 RHD or high draft picks
I would trade Schultz or 21st overall for him. I don’t think he gets much more than that, and top 6 C is pretty ambitious. Murray is good but the dude is always hurt.

Last 3 seasons: 60 games played, 44 games played, 56 games played.

I don’t see him returning something stellar. Draft picks are probably the best bet.

I also don’t see you would need a top 4 RHD with Jones and Savard on the roster

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
How about something around Zatisev + Kadri for Anderson + Savard for starting a discussion.....
Any start of a deal ends with Anderson leaving unless a huge upgrade and ends period with any LHD especially Zatisev.

Reactions: cslebn

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I would trade Schultz or 21st overall for him. I don’t think he gets much more than that, and top 6 C is pretty ambitious. Murray is good but the dude is always hurt.

I don’t see him returning something stellar. Draft picks are probably the best bet.

We know he's always hurt. We know it suppresses his value. We also know he's good when he's on the ice. I don't think the FO is averse to keeping him is they don't get appropriate value.

I personally wouldn't trade him for Schultz, because he's a dman which they don't need. I don't know about the 21st overall. I think I'd rather a roster player or ready prospect.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Only reason I mentioned a top-4 RHD is so we can roll 3 very good, balanced pairs with Werenski-Jones/Nutivaara-Savard/Gavrikov-XXX

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
R.Smith+C.Miller for Savard
RW is not a position we need, so the value proposition isn't there for us. EDIT: And personally, unless we need to trade for a high quality center, I don't consider Savard to be available.

* * *​
How about something around Zatisev + Kadri for Anderson + Savard for starting a discussion.....
Don't ever ask for Anderson, no matter what. Just don't. We're not moving him. He's not available. It is impossible to create a sane offer for Anderson - either the Jackets will say no, or the other team will say no. "Disproportionately valued" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Kadri for Savard (no Zaitsev) is something we'd consider if we can't keep Duchene.

* * *​
Any start of a deal ends with Anderson leaving unless a huge upgrade and ends period with any LHD especially Zatisev.
Zaitsev is a RHD. But otherwise, yeah, his inclusion does not help.

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Biggest roster needs are top-6 (preferably top-3) LW/C. All defensemen except Jones are on the table. Something around Werenski (with potential add depending on the player coming back) for top-line forward is an option.

Murray/Savard/Nutivaara could potentially be moved for a good 2nd-line forward (i.e., one of the top 94-141 forwards in the league, not one of the 142-186) depending on age, contract situation, etc.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I wonder given the the success in Carolina how many teams start the season with more unproven goalies. I had Columbus as one of the destinations I could see Quick playing, however I think he needs to show case himself in LA first.
Funny you should mention teams trying unproven goalies and then suggest Columbus should try to get a proven goalie.

They are actually(likely) doing the very thing you suggest with Korpisalo, Merzlikins and Vevhilainen. With Bob gone it's going to be a 3 way battle for that starting spot. Korpi shined in his single season he got to start an extended period of time. And the other two goalies have shined in their respective leagues as well as international play against NHLers. I think people underestimate what competition for a starting spot can do to motivate players.

Which is partly why I'm opposed to bringing in someone like Quick who would all but immediately be handed a starting spot instead of having to earn it the way Bob did(beating out Mason and stealing the starting position)

Reactions: cslebn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad