Value of: Make a Trade with Boston

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but any chance Carlo might be available?

No.

McAvoy, Carlo, Vaaks will be the golden Rd duo this blueline will be build around.

I would imagine the #15 pick (with perhaps a late pick or C-level prospect going to Montreal). Urho was taken at #18 two years ago and has developed nicely for the Bruins. He should be ready for a full-time NHL spot next season and has the makings of a solid top 4 defenseman. The Bruins have a plethora of LHD and can afford to deal Urho for a younger prospect.

What are you on about?

None of the LD's have the potential Vaaks has, it's one of Krug/Grzelcyk that's out one day.

Trading Vaaks for a pick would be a massive mistake.

What are Boston's needs this offseason?

A long term top 6 wing to replace Backes?

At some point they really need to be able to acquire high end C talent, and for near future new Rw or re-sign Johansson.

Last edited:

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
yeah, Vaak is in the "untouchable unless a stupid overpayment gets offered" group.

What are you on about?

None of the LD's have the potential Vaaks has, it's one of Krug/Grzelcyk that's out one day.

Trading Vaaks for a pick would be a massive mistake.

We'll agree to disagree. It's unlikely UV ever becomes a true #1 defenseman so I don't see why he would be deemed untouchable and he doesn't have the high-end upside that would result in a "stupid overpayment". Right now he is behind Chara, Krug, Grzelcyk, and Moore so unless one or two of them are traded, he won't likely be in the NHL full-time next season. Now it's very possible Chara and Krug are gone after next season but if they believe Lauzon and/or Zboril are NHL players then I think you can afford to deal from a position of strength and UV has the most value out of any of our D prospects.

I agree that ideally any trade chips would be used to upgrade the #2 RW spot but, assuming Gallagher is not an option, Montreal doesn't have a RW worth trading for. Maybe that (and the whole sworn enemy thing) makes Montreal a bad trade partner but I still think the #15 pick would be fair value and give Boston an important prospect who would be ready in 2-3 years as Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, etc. are winding down.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
One of Miller, Clifton or Moore probably has to go. Most teams could use one of those three.

Would want an equivalent RW in return if possible. Would be willing to add a guy like Zboril or Bjork to get it done.

That said, the Bruins don't have any real needs and they don't have a cap crunch. They can bring back the exact same team next year. Maybe they let Johansson go to open up a spot for a rookie and replace him at the deadline if it doesn't work.

In that case, the only guy 100% available is Celarhik, who would have to clear waivers after training camp. I'd say he's maybe worth a 6th but in the right situation he could thrive so a team like Edmonton should do it. Can we have Colby Cave back? I think he's a solid player.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Any interest in Hornqvist? Penguins could take back some salary, but would ultimately be hoping for futures/cap space for Hornqvist.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Any interest in Hornqvist? Penguins could take back some salary, but would ultimately be hoping for futures/cap space for Hornqvist.

He's the right kind of player and would look good with Krejic and Debrusk but 4 more years at 5.3m is a tough sell for a 32 year old. I'd be scared of getting another Backes.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
He's the right kind of player and would look good with Krejic and Debrusk but 4 more years at 5.3m is a tough sell for a 32 year old. I'd be scared of getting another Backes.
His contract is fairly large, but I don't think Hornqvist is going to really drop off until maybe the last 1/2 years of his deal. The injury history is certainly there, but Hornqvist had a pretty good Worlds (doesn't count for much, but it's good to see him producing somewhere.) 17-18 he was good for 29 goals and 20 assists, and he would fit well in Boston. The last 2 years we've seen Hornqvist in the bottom 6 a lot away from Crosby and Malkin a lot, so that could also be a reason he has struggled to produce. Not sure how much time he spent with Brassard this year, because nobody could produce with him.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
JFK has returned to Sweden to play there. Miller can be had for a third- or fourth-round pick. As for Zboril, do the Kings have any right-shot RW prospects?

Sucks to hear about JFK as he could have been a good 3C/4C in LA. The only Right-shot RWs we have would be Drake Rymsha and Matt Luff. Both not as highly regarded as Zboril, but decent. Luff played some time in the NHL last season and looked good. He most likely has a spot in LA next year as the 11-13 forward.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Give you the works for Toffolli.

I really don't think Boston would do that. I don;t see the Bruins going out and getting an expensive 1 year rental. If they are going to spend that much money, might as well just keep Johansson who we already know is an exceptional team fit

I could maybe see Boston picking up a younger less expensive longer term RW option if there is one to get, and they do have some defense and other to dangle, but a 27 year old with 1 year left on the contract makes no sense.

I said it before and I'll maintain. The Bruins one real long term need is a developmental center who could become first line in the 2023 timeframe. If I am moving a player I'm probably looking for ammunition in the 2020 draft. Maybe trying to get a pick, where they could get lucky and have it end up in the top 10-15 range in what is supposed to be a very good draft.

but at the same time, the goal is to be back where they are today in 12 months, so they aren't going to be gutting the roster

Sucks to hear about JFK as he could have been a good 3C/4C in LA. The only Right-shot RWs we have would be Drake Rymsha and Matt Luff. Both not as highly regarded as Zboril, but decent. Luff played some time in the NHL last season and looked good. He most likely has a spot in LA next year as the 11-13 forward.

Well, it was a mutual decision. It seems like there may have been some things going on back home for JFK this year, so he can go home and work on those. BUT more than that, he is waiver eligible next year if in Boston, and there is no clear roster spot for him. So Boston would have lost him next October for nothing, By finding him a home in the Swedish league, and they placed him where they wanted him. They can watch him develop for the next 2-3 years, let him grow into a mans body, and then potentially at age 24 or 25 if his game matures and he is ready for full time NHL duty they will still own his rights, and can bring him back over.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
Boston as one fairly obvious need and that would be in nets for the future. So teams give me your best prospect goalie trade offers.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Boston as one fairly obvious need and that would be in nets for the future. So teams give me your best prospect goalie trade offers.
Tuukka is under contract for 2 more seasons. The bruins have as good a chance as any team at having the future netminder already in their system as goalie is such a shot in the dark position. Keyser, swayman, vladar all could become star goalies or could be career ahlers. Nothing surprises me with goalies.

Boston needs RW help badly and they also need top end talent at forward and left defense in the system (who doesn’t). Krug, Miller, Moore, grzcelyk, maybe even carlo could be had if he wants a crazy amount of money this offseason. Boston needs young cost controlled top 6-9 RWs, top end forward prospects for 1st round picks. That’s really all they need with Marchand-debrusk looking like a long term 1-2 at lw with a bunch of mid tier talent in the system I.e studnicka, steen, bjork, Frederic, heinen, UV, zboril, lauzon, jfk etc etc

Boston is loaded with depth. Need top end though

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

No, Boston needs young, talented Cs (first-line and second-line centers) and right-shot RWs. Swaymann, Keyser and Vladar are all strong G prospects.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
His contract is fairly large, but I don't think Hornqvist is going to really drop off until maybe the last 1/2 years of his deal. The injury history is certainly there, but Hornqvist had a pretty good Worlds (doesn't count for much, but it's good to see him producing somewhere.) 17-18 he was good for 29 goals and 20 assists, and he would fit well in Boston. The last 2 years we've seen Hornqvist in the bottom 6 a lot away from Crosby and Malkin a lot, so that could also be a reason he has struggled to produce. Not sure how much time he spent with Brassard this year, because nobody could produce with him.

problem is Bruins need to move space, not take it on.

McAvoy, Carlo and Heinen are up for RFA this offseason

DeBrusk is up for RFA next offseason, in addition to Krug's UFA

they cant take afford to take on someone else's "yeah, he'd overpaid, but he might play up to the value" contracts.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Will to trade a Stanley cup game 1 victory for a round of golf as that’s what my team is doing. I would rather them be in the playoffs.

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
Defense that are available: K Miller, Moore
Defense that we will listen to offers on: Krug, Gryz
Defense that are untouchable(ish): Carlo, Cmac

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bruins have chemistry and good contracts for their core. Theyve been a top 5 team 2 years in a row and clearly are in a win now frame of mind

That said, their is some cap issues

A team need is a right shot wing for top 6.

The trade that stands out to me is puuljujarvi if his price is reasonable. His cap hit fits... he has a couple years under his belt. It aint happening in edmonton but in Boston's more supportive system there is a chance

So whats my whacky idea?

How about
Kevan miller
Jaroslav halak
Anders bjork
Jacob zboril
And boston first round pick

For
Puulujarvi
Milan lucic 2 mill retained
And oil first round pick

Its quite a huge culture change for edmonton improving their depth alot

Boston needs a new backup but thats not impossible for a strong defensive team. We loose top prospects at our 2 deepest positions but we add a special 3rd/4th liner for playoffs and 2 swings at getting an impact young forward

If heinens contract demands arent doable id prob swap him for bjork

I am thinking backes has to go and id like lucic in that spot for a bit less money still healthy enough to fight

So put together a second trade where maybe backes goes to carolina for darling at 1/2 retained

I think darling isnt old... he was a great backup on a good chicago team. We took halak off the scrap pile. I think darling is salvageable too

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Sam ersson from philly for halak. Boston gets a promising prospect and cap space philly gets a proven backup to challenge hart

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Unless top 2 dman is coming to flyers I don't feel like we should move that pick.. rather throw money at Duchene.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I would imagine the #15 pick (with perhaps a late pick or C-level prospect going to Montreal). Urho was taken at #18 two years ago and has developed nicely for the Bruins. He should be ready for a full-time NHL spot next season and has the makings of a solid top 4 defenseman. The Bruins have a plethora of LHD and can afford to deal Urho for a younger prospect.

Urho is expansion draft exempt (Honka rule). I think the Bruins will value that a lot more than you think here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad