Make 5 off season predictions leading up to the 2015 draft

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Make 5 predictions about what the oilers will do or what will happen to the oilers between now and the draft

1) Oilers will end up draft 4th--Buffalo 2nd, Phoenix 3rd--a team that barely missed the playoffs gets McDavid
2) While everyone is talking about Nikiten getting bought out--wont happen
3) Oilers sign Anton Slepyshev and he becomes the new point of argument of this board (I predict very little middle ground on how people will feel about him)
4) Oilers will trade Pens first and there second for goaltending help and I got this strange feeling I will hate it
5)Martin Marincin will be traded before the draft

bonus predictions
1) Marco Roy will go back into the draft
2) Acton and Ramsey released from Contract--Buchberger back behind the bench
3) One of our player will suffer a bad injury at the worlds
4) Pens and Hawks meet in the cup final

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
1) Kevin Lowe steps down from his current role. Bob Nicholson takes over
2) The Oilers WIN the draft lottery
3) The Oilers trade the Pittsburgh pick and Marincin to Ottawa for Craig Anderson and Eric Gryba
4) Nikitin is bought out
5) Oilers trade next years 1st round pick for Brent Seabrook

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
1. Oilers Draft third and Take Strome ahead of Hanifin
2. Slepyshev resigns in russia
3. Oilers hire Todd Mclellan and Nelson stays on as Associate coach
4. Oilers sign Hammond from Ottawa for too much money
5. Oilers get 2 Dmen Oduya and Martin

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
1) Edmonton makes a trade for Craig Anderson
2) Edmonton gets bumped down to the #4 draft spot after Carolina wins the lottery
3) Edmonton goes hard after Babcock, McLelland, Hitchcock as coach... not only do they not land any of the big fish, but Nelson gets a head coaching role with another club
4) Edmonton re-signs J. Schultz to a multi-year contract
5) Kelly Buchburger is given a promotion of some type

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
1. Oilers win the lottery, everyone completely forgets how bad management is in a rush to predict a playoff appearance
2. Pittsburgh pick is traded for a mediocre goaltender as Mactavish, who just finished reading JFJ's autobiography after 10 years of reading, officially adopts the Toronto Maple Leaf guide to team building.
3. Mactavish officially hires former assistant, and close friend Kelly Buchburger as head coach; cites his solid work in OKC as justification.
4. Some superfluous member of the franchise will be let go to make it seem like Nicholson isn't just a figurehead on a retirement contract
5. The summer crew of HFboards forums make a reappearance to once again inform everyone they aren't allowed to hold negative opinions of the team, on the basis that the team is not currently losing games in June, any acquisitions can't be proven bad until they play a game for the franchise, and there is still time to fill holes in the roster in August; so any and all criticism is unwarranted and mean spirited.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
1)No Front Office Changes
2)Oilers trade picks and Scrivezina for Cam Ward
3)Oilers retain Todd Nelson as HC
4)Oilers draft #4 overall
5)Jets win the cup.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
1. Oilers Draft third and Take Strome ahead of Hanifin
2. Slepyshev resigns in russia
3. Oilers hire Todd Mclellan and Nelson stays on as Associate coach
4. Oilers sign Hammond from Ottawa for too much money
5. Oilers get 2 Dmen Oduya and Martin

I will be shocked if that happens--all indications are unless there is a last minute change he could be an oiler as early as next week

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
1. Oilers draft 4th...Philly wins lottery
2. Oilers re-sign Roy to a 1-year 2 million dollar deal
3. Oilers take Hanifin 4th overall
4. McLellan takes Philly job...Nelson becomes head coach
5. Oilers use Pens pick to get Craig Anderson plus d-man

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Make 5 predictions about what the oilers will do or what will happen to the oilers between now and the draft

1) Oilers will end up draft 4th--Buffalo 2nd, Phoenix 3rd--a team that barely missed the playoffs gets McDavid
2) While everyone is talking about Nikiten getting bought out--wont happen
3) Oilers sign Anton Slepyshev and he becomes the new point of argument of this board (I predict very little middle ground on how people will feel about him)
4) Oilers will trade Pens first and there second for goaltending help and I got this strange feeling I will hate it
5)Martin Marincin will be traded before the draft

bonus predictions
1) Marco Roy will go back into the draft
2) Acton and Ramsey released from Contract--Buchberger back behind the bench
3) One of our player will suffer a bad injury at the worlds
4) Pens and Hawks meet in the cup final

I thought that Slepyshev has signed a extension to stay in Russia?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I thought that Slepyshev has signed a extension to stay in Russia?

not as of right now

Voodoo rocks are telling me that oilers wanted to resign Yak before signing Slep because if they signed Slep first the KHL would have pushed hard for Yak leading into the worlds.

KHL is a mess off the ice right now and I think slep wants stability--believe it or not the Oilers look stable compared to some of the KHL teams

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
not as of right now

Voodoo rocks are telling me that oilers wanted to resign Yak before signing Slep because if they signed Slep first the KHL would have pushed hard for Yak leading into the worlds.

KHL is a mess off the ice right now and I think slep wants stability--believe it or not the Oilers look stable compared to some of the KHL teams
The thing is that he most likely wont be on the Oilers but will be starting in the AHL. He will have to earn everything that he gets here..
I dont think he will survive as an offensive player considering how much more his teammate Hartikainen produced. (40pts vs 25pts)

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
1) A team outside the bottom 5 wins
2) The Oilers don't trade the Pens 1st - select either a LHD (Kylington) or big winger (Bittner)
3) MacT goes all out on FA's, doesn't do that well
4) Stick with Nelson
5) Team still has too many holes, out of the playoffs by christmas, finish in the bottom 5 for next season

Unfortunately I don't see us breaking this cycle anytime soon.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The thing is that he most likely wont be on the Oilers but will be starting in the AHL. He will have to earn everything that he gets here..
I dont think he will survive as an offensive player considering how much more his teammate Hartikainen produced. (40pts vs 25pts)

of course he starts on the farm--an interview I saw that he gave earlier in the year (it was in Russian) he more or less said he knew that if he came over he would have to start in the minors. This was one of the interviews some of the bloggers use when saying he wont come over--in the interview--which a buddy of mine who speaks Russian also heard--Sleps never said he was not willing to start in the minors--the interviewer when wrapping up the interview made the assumption that is what sleps meant.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
1. Oilers resign Roy
2. Draft Hanafin 3rd, Phoenix wins lottery
3. Use PIT pick for Phaneuf and Bernier
4. Use Montreal 2nd for a young backup goalie.
5. Scrivens traded for a 5th.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Hartikainen is much older and more experienced, and pretty much every forward in the KHL under 25 is restricted to fourth line minutes.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
1) Slepyshev signs with the Oilers.
2) Fasth goes, but Scrivens stays as backup.
3) Oilers deals a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Martin Jones.
4) Oilers will entertain offers for the Pittsburgh 1st, but will ultimately keep the pick and select either Meier, Roy or Merkley.
5) Someone below them wins the lottery, dropping the Oilers to 4th. They select Noah Hanifin.

BONUS PREDICTION:

Martin Marincin is traded, likely to replace one of the picks used to bring in Jones.

BONUS PREDICTION II:

Behind the scenes, Kevin Lowe will relinquish what few Oiler-centric day to day tasks he has left to Bob Nicholson, and quietly take an extended leave of absence from the club due to poor health.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll just make general league wide ones ...

Ryan Miller to San Jose (cap dump on Vancouver's part)

Dion Phaneuf + Nazem Kadri to Colorado for Ryan O' Reilly + filler

Mike Green signs in Dallas (7 mill per x 4 years) after turning down an offer from the Oilers.

1 or more of the following will be an Edmonton Oiler next year: Cam Ward, Craig Anderson, Cam Talbot, Martin Jones.

Tyler Bozak to Nashville for Ryan Ellis.

Mike Babcock takes big money offer to coach in Buffalo, McLellan to Pittsburgh, Bylsma to Detroit.

Last edited:

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
1. Oilers draft 3rd and takes Hanifin...Buffalo wins lottery
2. Oilers re-sign Roy to a 2-year contract at 1 million per for depth, sign Slepyshev
3. Oilers buy out someone ( Nikki/Ference), trade prospect and 2016 first for top 2 defense man (seabrook?)
4. Nelson becomes head coach
5. Oilers use Pens pick to get Craig Anderson

Bonus:
Oilers will sign a couple UFA's, likely overpay Oduya. They may also sign Jamie McBain for D. They will make a big push for Martin and Meszaros, but not get either one.
If a UFA Goalie, Gustavsson (if not resigned by Detroit) or Neuvirth
Not sure on others, Ryan Malone, Daniel Paille, Sean Bergenheim, Gregory Campbell come to mind as possible targets

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
not as of right now

Anton Slepyshev, LW, Salavat Yulaev Ufa (KHL)
Drafted 3rd Round, 88th Overall, 2013

Anton Slepyshev has been garnering attention as of late. The Russian winger wrapped up a solid season with Salavat Yulaev in which he recorded 25 points in 58 games, despite receiving relatively sparse ice time (typically just over 12 minutes per night). Discussion swirled about the possibility of Slepyshev making the jump to North America as early as 2015-16, where he would presumably join the Oklahoma City Barons of the AHL, but on April 13th, the Russian forward signed a two-year contract extension with Salavat Yulaev. Slepyshev will also skate for Russia at the 2015 World Hockey Championships.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
1. Buff wins lottery, Oil draft #3 & take Hannifan
2. Oilers sign Klefbom to a ridiculously overpriced contract - 4 years @ 4 Mil per year
3. Sign Shultz to a 2 year contract at a slightly higher number than he is at. #visuallybetter
4. Sign Roy and a FA #3 or #4 dman.
5. Name Nelson a HC as all the other big names say no to Edmonton
6. Trade the 1st round Pitt pick and Marincin to LA for Jones, let Fasth walk.
7. Sign Roy to a 2 year contract worth 1.5M per
8. Hall gets reinjured during the World Championships

Oops...more than 5. A few extra for good measure :)

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
1) LA Kings or Toronto win the lottery, because it's rigged.
2) Oilers make a stupid trade.
3) The forensic audit finds "KLowe and MacT" are the only good things in the Oiler Management group and they are rewarded with multi-million dollar lifetime contracts.
4) KLowe flys to Jerusalem and builds the Oiler office in the Dome of the Rock, where he declares himself Lord and Savior of the Edmonton Oilers.

In all seriousness:

1) The Oilers DO NOT hire Nelson as head coach. I sense a disregard for Nelson's abilities by MacT. There must be some bad blood between the two. The Oilers will go in the direction of someone MacT can have more control over.

2) IF the Oilers draft Noah Hanafin, he will never sign or play a game in Edmonton. He's an American kid in college, and has no desire to play of the worst team in the history of prosports. Consequently, it is more likely the Oilers draft Strome (remember they took size of the more skilled player last year), if he is available. If he isn't they take Provorov.

3) Marincin is traded before the start of the season, perhaps leading up to the draft. Clearly management has no time for him. Wherever he goes, he will turn into a 2- or 3- D-man and the Oilers will once again lose the trade.

4) A team (which the league would want to win) other than the top 3 wins the lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad