Makaveli's 2019 MOCK DRAFT 3.0

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
These are my draft rankings, and I don’t see anything special at all from Dach, besides size, which doesn’t mean much in the modern NHL. His skill isn’t really that impressive, although he does read the game fairly well. His numbers are not really outstanding in a very poor league

I think there is quite a difference between a mock draft and draft rankings just due to teams having a preference/bias towards certain types of players.

In terms of Dach I agree his point totals are a bit concerning and the WHL tends to get quite a bit of shit for its qualitity of talent, but Dach’s hands and vision are extremely impressive and his size allows for him to protect the puck better than most players especially as he develops more into his frame. Based on reading about him and watching highlights I can see him turning into a Kopitar light type of player.

Reactions: Makaveli

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Montreal is in a perfect position to grab a LD here. I can see them going with any of Broberg, Harley or York at that pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
I think there is quite a difference between a mock draft and draft rankings just due to teams having a preference/bias towards certain types of players.

In terms of Dach I agree his point totals are a bit concerning and the WHL tends to get quite a bit of **** for its qualitity of talent, but Dach’s hands and vision are extremely impressive and his size allows for him to protect the puck better than most players especially as he develops more into his frame. Based on reading about him and watching highlights I can see him turning into a Kopitar light type of player.
I see a lot of Anze and Joe Thornton in his game. I'm not saying he'll have the same career as them, but he plays a very similar game as them.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Welll yeaah, I really don’t see him becoming more than a top 9 grinder who is good in both ways, and I wouldn’t draft a guy like that in the top 15.
That is your opinion and that is fine. I personally think he has the tools to be a top line winger that works hard at both ends of the ice. I also think he has a higher floor than most because his skill set could be placed anywhere in the line up.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Then you obviously haven't watched him play. Not a strong assessment whatsoever.
”Then you haven’t watched him play”. His IQ is questionable. He works hard and is good defensively which makes him have a high floor in my books, but the kid has never produced except some tourneys. Literally his junior career stats have never been impressive. And yes, stats are a big thing when drafting ”skilled offensive players”, because their job is to produce.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

In terms of Dach I agree his point totals are a bit concerning and the WHL tends to get quite a bit of **** for its qualitity of talent, but Dach’s hands and vision are extremely impressive and his size allows for him to protect the puck better than most players especially as he develops more into his frame. Based on reading about him and watching highlights I can see him turning into a Kopitar light type of player.

This wasn't a mock draft, just my draft rankings, as I said. Kopitar light seems like a stretch to be honest, I believe he certainly has upside but the risk of drafting such a horrible skater is very high, I am not sure how that will translate to the NHL. His shot is really underwhelming too, and from what I have seen and heard, his hands are decent but there isn't anything extraordinary about them.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
This wasn't a mock draft, just my draft rankings, as I said. Kopitar light seems like a stretch to be honest, I believe he certainly has upside but the risk of drafting such a horrible skater is very high, I am not sure how that will translate to the NHL. His shot is really underwhelming too, and from what I have seen and heard, his hands are decent but there isn't anything extraordinary about them.

I realize that, but what I'm saying is that Mak's list is a Mock Draft and not necessarily the order of his top prospects which can lead to the discrepancy between the two lists. Based on what I've seen he's at the very least an average skater, I agree his shot needs to develop quite a bit, but I do think his hands are top end. I guess we can agree to disagree on him, maybe you've had more viewings/knowledge of him than I.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I realize that, but what I'm saying is that Mak's list is a Mock Draft and not necessarily the order of his top prospects which can lead to the discrepancy between the two lists. Based on what I've seen he's at the very least an average skater, I agree his shot needs to develop quite a bit, but I do think his hands are top end. I guess we can agree to disagree on him, maybe you've had more viewings/knowledge of him than I.

Fair enough, time will tell I guess.

Reactions: Perratrooper

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
”Then you haven’t watched him play”. His IQ is questionable. He works hard and is good defensively which makes him have a high floor in my books, but the kid has never produced except some tourneys. Literally his junior career stats have never been impressive. And yes, stats are a big thing when drafting ”skilled offensive players”, because their job is to produce.

His IQ is definitely not questionable. He made one pass into open ice that resulted in a negative.. otherwise, he made at after play to set his team up in the zone. His does get a little overzealous at times and try to punch it in, but he is also great at misdirecting the play.

He's played on 6 or so teams this year.. so his stats are a bit all over, and it's hard to develop chemistry. He is solid defensively and very very good offensively.

He's getting a lot of criticism because he's both Russian committed for the next 2 seasons and stat watchers have nothing to base their argument on.

I've spent the time to go back and watch a ton of games (not just highlights) to see that he is both highly criticized and very underrated.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
His IQ is definitely not questionable. He made one pass into open ice that resulted in a negative.. otherwise, he made at after play to set his team up in the zone. His does get a little overzealous at times and try to punch it in, but he is also great at misdirecting the play.

He's played on 6 or so teams this year.. so his stats are a bit all over, and it's hard to develop chemistry. He is solid defensively and very very good offensively.

He's getting a lot of criticism because he's both Russian committed for the next 2 seasons and stat watchers have nothing to base their argument on.

I've spent the time to go back and watch a ton of games (not just highlights) to see that he is both highly criticized and very underrated.
I’ve also seen 6-8 shift by shift’s from Russia and while I’ve been fairly impressed, but not ”top-10 pick impressed”. There are at the very least 10 players who project better. And his production has been average during all of juniors, not just this season. IN MY OPINION, his ceiling could be a 55-60 two-way player, but nothing to drool over. Players like Krebs, Zegras, Turcotte are miles ahead of him in terms of potential in my opinion.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

9: ANA: Trevor Zegras, C/LW

Zegras in an exciting player with great puck skills. He has superb vision and is a crafty play-maker. He can play center or the wing making him a very versatile forward in
Anaheim's top 6. He projects as a top 6 play-making forward that has a chance of being a top line player.

11: PHI: Matthew Boldy, RW

All feedback is welcomed!

I think ANA would take Boldy over Zegras. Awesome list btw.

Reactions: Makaveli

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3