Makaveli's 2019 MOCK DRAFT 3.0

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
1. NJD: Jack Hughes, C
The Hughes and Kakko race is very close. I feel like the Devils will go with Hughes here. Hughes is a dynamic game breaking forward. He is blazing fast and extremely skilled. He projects as a number 1 center in the NHL. Devils would be set down the middle for the next decade with Hughes and Hischier.

2. NYR: Kaapo Kakko, RW
Rangers take Kakko here. Straight up a no brainer to be honest. Kakko is a superstar in the making who is NHL ready now. Don't be surprised if he wins Rookie of the year next year. He has an amazing combination of size, strength, speed and skill as well as contributing on all areas of the ice. He projects as a first line winger at the next level.

3. CHI: Bowen Byram, D

Chicago has a tough decision here. They can either take the best defenceman in the draft. Or they can take the local kid who projects as a top 2-way center. I think they end up going with Byram here. He projects as a top pairing, two-way, minute munching defenceman. His skating and puck skills are top notch and he doesn't shy away from physicality.

4: COL: Alex Turcotte, C
Colorado is looking for a center to play behind Mack. Alex Turcotte would be the perfect fit here. He is the most complete forward in the draft. Turcotte competes hard on both ends of the ice. He has great offensive and defensive instincts to go along with great speed. If all pans out for Turcotte, I could see him getting nominated for the Selke in the near future.

5: LAK: Vasili Podkolzin , RW
Pod is a wildcard in this draft. It is possible he could go top 3 and it is also possible he could fall to all the way down to 10. LA takes the high risk, high reward player. Podkolzin offers an enticing mix of tenacity and skill. The Russian factor may scare a couple of teams off but LA feels he is the best player available. He projects as a top line winger at the next level.

6: DET: Kirby Dach, C
Detroit needs help everywhere. They elect to take the big right shot center who uses his size to his advantage. He is a pass first player that owns great offensive awareness and he skates well for a player of his size. He projects as a top 6 Center at the next level, with a chance of becoming a top line Center.

7: BUF: Dylan Cozens , C/RW
Buffalo is looking to add a top 6 forward here. Dylan Cozens can play both center and right wing. Cozens is a big bodied forward with elite skating. Plays a real bullish style. He is a shoot first player, but is a pretty good play-maker as well. He projects as a top 6 forward at the next level, with the chance of being a top line player.

8: EDM: Cole Caufield, RW
If it wasn't for Caufields size, he could have went top 5 in this draft. He is a big time goal scorer in a not so big body. Standing at 5'7 he is very undersized, but what he lacks in size he makes up for it with skill. He has an elite shot and is highly skilled to go along with good speed. He has no quit in his game and is always a threat to score when he is on the ice. He would be a good fit in Edmonton's top 6 and could be a great fit with McDavid, allowing Leon to anchor the 2nd line.

9: ANA: Trevor Zegras, C/LW

Zegras in an exciting player with great puck skills. He has superb vision and is a crafty play-maker. He can play center or the wing making him a very versatile forward in
Anaheim's top 6. He projects as a top 6 play-making forward that has a chance of being a top line player.

10: VAN: Peyton Krebs, C/LW

Krebs is an energetic play-making forward. He is very skilled, elusive and shifty. Krebs also provides great leadership with the makings of being a future team captain. If he played on a better team he would most positively put up better numbers. He projects as a top 6 forward with great character and would be a great fit in Vancouver.

11: PHI: Matthew Boldy, RW
12: MIN: Alex Newhook, C
13: FLA: Victor Soderstrom, D
14: ARZ: Bobby Brink, C/RW
15: MTL: Philip Broberg, D
16: COL: Raphael Lavoie, C/RW
17: VGK: Arthur Kaliyev, LW
18: DAL: Cam York, D
19: OTT: Moritz Seider, D
20: NYR: Thomas Harley, D
21: PIT: Phillip Tomasino, C/RW
22: LAK: Ryan Suzuki. C
23: NYI: Ville Heinola, D
24: NSH: Nils Hoglander, LW
25: WSH: Jakob Pelletier, LW
26: CGY: Brett Leason, C/RW
27: TBL: Tobias Bjornfot, D
28: ANA: Lassi Thomson, D
29: CAR: Samuel Poulin, LW/RW
30: BOS: Connor McMichael , C
31: BUF: Egor Afanasayev, LW/RW

All feedback is welcomed!

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The Hughes and Kakko race is very close. I feel like the Devils will go with Hughes here. Hughes is a dynamic game breaking forward. He is blazing fast and extremely skilled. He projects as a number 1 center in the NHL. Devils would be set down the middle for the next decade with Hughes and Hischier.

Rangers take Kakko here. Straight up a no brainer to be honest. Kakko is a superstar in the making who is NHL ready now. Don't be surprised if he wins Rookie of the year next year. He has an amazing combination of size, strength, speed and skill as well as contributing on all areas of the ice. He projects as a first line winger at the next level.

Chicago has a tough decision here. They can either take the best defenceman in the draft. Or they can take the local kid who projects as a top 2-way center. I think they end up going with Byram here. He projects as a top pairing, two-way, minute munching defenceman. His skating and puck skills are top notch and he doesn't shy away from physicality.

Colorado is looking for a center to play behind Mack. Alex Turcotte would be the perfect fit here. He is the most complete forward in the draft. Turcotte competes hard on both ends of the ice. He has great offensive and defensive instincts to go along with great speed. If all pans out for Turcotte, I could see him getting nominated for the Selke in the near future.

Pod is a wildcard in this draft. It is possible he could go top 3 and it is also possible he could fall to all the way down to 10. LA takes the high risk, high reward player. Podkolzin offers an enticing mix of tenacity and skill. The Russian factor may scare a couple of teams off but LA feels he is the best player available. He projects as a top line winger at the next level.

Detroit needs help everywhere. They elect to take the big right shot center who uses his size to his advantage. He is a pass first player that owns great offensive awareness and he skates well for a player of his size. He projects as a top 6 Center at the next level, with a chance of becoming a top line Center.

Buffalo is looking to add a top 6 forward here. Dylan Cozens can play both center and right wing. Cozens is a big bodied forward with elite skating. Plays a real bullish style. He is a shoot first player, but is a pretty good play-maker as well. He projects as a top 6 forward at the next level, with the chance of being a top line player.

If it wasn't for Caufields size, he could have went top 5 in this draft. He is a big time goal scorer in a not so big body. Standing at 5'7 he is very undersized, but what he lacks in size he makes up for it with skill. He has an elite shot and is highly skilled to go along with good speed. He has no quit in his game and is always a threat to score when he is on the ice. He would be a good fit in Edmonton's top 6 and could be a great fit with McDavid, allowing Leon to anchor the 2nd line.

Zegras in an exciting player with great puck skills. He has superb vision and is a crafty play-maker. He can play center or the wing making him a very versatile forward in
Anaheim's top 6. He projects as a top 6 play-making forward that has a chance of being a top line player.

Krebs is an energetic play-making forward. He is very skilled, elusive and shifty. Krebs also provides great leadership with the makings of being a future team captain. If he played on a better team he would most positively put up better numbers. He projects as a top 6 forward with great character and would be a great fit in Vancouver.

13: FLA: Victor Soderberg, D

I think this will be fairly accurate. All I will say is that I think Dorofeyev and Robertson will be 1st rounders.

Reactions: Makaveli

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
After all the trouble LA has with drafting Russian players and not being able to bring them across the pond, I dont see how they wait 2 years + on Podzolkin who by the way isnt even a top 5 player.. i'd but put Dach over him easily.. even Caufield, Zegras and Krebs

Reactions: KingsHockey24

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

13: FLA: Victor Soderstrom, D

I do think Broberg will be the best defenceman from this class in a few years. He has the skating, offence, physicality, defence, hard work ethic, transition game and passing to become a brilliant player. I have seen people criticize his decision making but that is absolute nonsense, from what I have seen. Dach is way too high, don't think his skating will translate. His shot is mediocre too. Höglander and Dorofeyev should be much higher. Kakko is my number 1 because of his ultra dominant puck possession, brilliant all round play and insane skill, although Hughes might be better in the long run, only time will tell.

1. Kakko
2. Hughes
3. Turcotte
4. Caufield
5. Broberg
6. Byram
7. Podkolzin
8. Cozens
9. Söderström
10. Zegras
11. Newhook
12. Boldy
13. Krebs
14. Seider
15. York
16. Dach
17. Höglander
18. Dorofeyev
19. Suzuki
20. Brink
21. Heinola
22. Fagemo
23. Harley
24. Kaliyev
25. Björnfot
26. Grewe
27. Lavoie
28. McMichael
29. Kokkonen
30. Henriksson
31. Knight

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Not a bad list. I have some things I would personally do differently but nothing unreasonable. Also surprised to not see Knight or Doro in the 1st round.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If ducks came out of 1st round with Zegras + Thomson(or Robertson) id be pretty happy with that 1st round

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I do think Broberg will be the best defenceman from this class in a few years. He has the skating, offence, physicality, defence, hard work ethic, transition game and passing to become a brilliant player. I have seen people criticize his decision making but that is absolute nonsense, from what I have seen. Dach is way too high, don't think his skating will translate. His shot is mediocre too. Höglander and Dorofeyev should be much higher. Kakko is my number 1 because of his ultra dominant puck possession, brilliant all round play and insane skill, although Hughes might be better in the long run, only time will tell.

1. Kakko
2. Hughes
3. Turcotte
4. Caufield
5. Broberg
6. Byram
7. Podkolzin
8. Cozens
9. Söderström
10. Zegras
11. Newhook
12. Boldy
13. Krebs
14. Seider
15. York
16. Dach
17. Höglander
18. Dorofeyev
19. Suzuki
20. Brink
21. Heinola
22. Fagemo
23. Harley
24. Kaliyev
25. Björnfot
26. Grewe
27. Lavoie
28. McMichael
29. Kokkonen
30. Henriksson
31. Knight

Is this a mock draft or your draft rankings??

I'd probably ruin a pair of my pants if Dach goes at 16 to Colorado

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Your mocks are always in line with what I want the Avs to do. Question about this 3.0 mock, though - why did Knight fall out of the first round? I think you had the Avs taking him at 16 in your last mock, so seeing him fall 15 spots seems unlikely.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
After all the trouble LA has with drafting Russian players and not being able to bring them across the pond, I dont see how they wait 2 years + on Podzolkin who by the way isnt even a top 5 player.. i'd but put Dach over him easily.. even Caufield, Zegras and Krebs

100% he is a top 5 player. He has top 3 talent in this draft. His problem is that it may take 2 years for him to come. Call one a development year and one a lockout year and boom! We have a ready to play Pod. I love Caufield and Zegras.. but no way are they better. Krebs for sure not. Dach I like.. and if I needed a C, I may consider Dach.

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Your mocks are always in line with what I want the Avs to do. Question about this 3.0 mock, though - why did Knight fall out of the first round? I think you had the Avs taking him at 16 in your last mock, so seeing him fall 15 spots seems unlikely.
I see Knight going anywhere from 16-33. All the prospects from the mid first to the early second are all really close. It all depends on which team wants to take the risk of taking a goalie in the first round.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

giphy.gif

I really like the top 21. After that I think Suzuki, Pelletier, and Leason are too high
I'd switch places Leason and Afanasyev, Pelletier and McMichael,

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
Very good mock. Think Dorofeyev and knight are locks to go in first round but otherwise very good

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Is this a mock draft or your draft rankings??

I'd probably ruin a pair of my pants if Dach goes at 16 to Colorado

These are my draft rankings, and I don’t see anything special at all from Dach, besides size, which doesn’t mean much in the modern NHL. His skill isn’t really that impressive, although he does read the game fairly well. His numbers are not really outstanding in a very poor league

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Lol I love Dach at 16 but skipping Byram at 4 in that scenario for Caufield might hurt a bit. That said, a Dach-Caufield draft would be sweeeeeet.

Caufield has all the tools to overcompensate for a lack of size, he should go that high. He is the second best goal scorer in the draft after Kakko. Dach is nothing special at all, he is big and has a decent hockey IQ but everything else is average.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
The high risk is him staying in Russia and not coming over. The high reward is him coming over and slotting into their top 6 in 2 years.
Welll yeaah, I really don’t see him becoming more than a top 9 grinder who is good in both ways, and I wouldn’t draft a guy like that in the top 15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad