Makar vs Mackinnon

Who would you keep if you had to choose?

• Total voters

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
We are blessed to have arguably the second best d man and forward in the league. If you had to make a decision on who to give a max contract to and who to let walk, who would it be?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Well i would give them both max years and i try to negociation with both of them a reduce among of money. They need to leave some money on the table if they also want good players arround them.

I do believe that Mac understand this concept already , with what we heard.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Keep MacKinnon because otherwise the Avs center depth would fall apart and the team is not competing for anything.

Without thinking about team needs Makar is more likely to live up to the hypotetical 8 year contract. Only entering his peak and I expect him to be the best Dman in the league during that contract.

Last edited:

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I think MacKinnon but it is pretty close and neither guy can be replaced. It is all about who to build the team around going forward a #1 Center or a #1 RHD both guys being hands down top 5 at their position and both young.

I would almost make the argument that Makar is more valuable overall but it would be almost impossible to replace what MacKinnon does for the top line where I would be ok moving forward with a Toews/Girard top line for a while.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Can’t really choose if you want to win. you need a 1D and you need a 1C

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Hard to say for me, tbh. I went with Mackinnon because as they say a bird in the hand is better than two birds in the bush, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Makar ends up to have a better career altogether.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would say Makar purely due to age.

Essentially why I went with Makar as well.

Assuming we are talking about the hypothetical scenario where they both were in need of new contracts this offseason, and a max contract is both length and salary...

Maakr for 8 years right now means we have him for his 23-30 year seasons. Essentially all of his prime years with next to no expected drop off even in the last years of the deal.

For Mack, an 8 year contract starting this summer would mean his 26-33 year old seasons. I think he's going to age quite gracefully, similar to Crosby... but even Sid has seen a slow decline over the last few years and I expect by the time Nate is 31 or so to start seeing a similar slow decline.

So for that reason alone I'd take Makar. But really I'd give both guys an 8 year max extension deal tomorrow if I could. They are two players worth the money and you figure out the rest afterwards.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Essentially why I went with Makar as well.

Assuming we are talking about the hypothetical scenario where they both were in need of new contracts this offseason, and a max contract is both length and salary...

Maakr for 8 years right now means we have him for his 23-30 year seasons. Essentially all of his prime years with next to no expected drop off even in the last years of the deal.

For Mack, an 8 year contract starting this summer would mean his 26-33 year old seasons. I think he's going to age quite gracefully, similar to Crosby... but even Sid has seen a slow decline over the last few years and I expect by the time Nate is 31 or so to start seeing a similar slow decline.

So for that reason alone I'd take Makar. But really I'd give both guys an 8 year max extension deal tomorrow if I could. They are two players worth the money and you figure out the rest afterwards.

MacKs game is built on being a more powerful skater than anyone else. Skating is one of those things that tends to go fast. His decline will be 12 times worse than Crosby.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is actually not that easy a question which speaks volumes for Makar whose only in his second year.

I think it speaks volume about Mack being underrated by his own fanbase. There's no defenseman in this league who's worth the 2nd or 3rd best center in the game.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Makar didn’t make everyone throw away Duchene jerseys. He also wasn’t around for the dark years. Why is it not surprising that people fall in love with what’s new and overlook who’s done most of the heavy lifting?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think it speaks volume about Mack being underrated by his own fanbase. There's no defenseman in this league who's worth the 2nd or 3rd best center in the game.

Pretty much. Makar can be the best D but he’s not one of the top 3 players in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00