Makar vs Mackinnon

Who would you keep if you had to choose?

• Total voters

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Mackinnon is phenomenal there is no doubt about that, but how long has it been since we've seen Mack take over a game the way Makar has the last 2. Obviously this is a 1a 1b situation, but with how frustrated and whiny Mackinnon has been the last 2 years, I'd take Makar any day.

Besides, a Mackinnon trade pretty much guarantees you a top 10 center, a 1st round pick, and a top tier prospect as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
MacKs game is built on being a more powerful skater than anyone else. Skating is one of those things that tends to go fast. His decline will be 12 times worse than Crosby.

I really dont agree at all.

With the amount of time and effort Mack puts into his off season regime, his meal plans, his training, etc. He will prove to be a guy who has a very slow decline. If his skating does slow down, he'll reinvent his game. Just like how Crosby has reinvented his game in his 30s.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mackinnon is phenomenal there is no doubt about that, but how long has it been since we've seen Mack take over a game the way Makar has the last 2. Obviously this is a 1a 1b situation, but with how frustrated and whiny Mackinnon has been the last 2 years, I'd take Makar any day.

Besides, a Mackinnon trade pretty much guarantees you a top 10 center, a 1st round pick, and a top tier prospect as well.
Like a week or two?

I said Makar but let’s not pretend Mackinnon is going anywhere. He’s still playing peak levels of hockey.

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Take MacKinnon out of the equation and then we're running either Kadri or Newhook on the top line. Kadri had a good few games but he was looking like dog shit the previous 10-20 games so I wouldn't be too happy with him as C1.

Makar on the other hand has all the tools and the intangibles and he's a RD as well. Those are always in short supply and in need. Still voted for MacKinnon though but you couldn't go wrong with either and it's a good problem to have too many good guys then not enough.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar is the rarer talent for the position. He does shit that no other defenceman really does. I’m not even talking about points... the things he can do with the puck is so damn rare for a defenceman.

I’m glad to see more people recognizing the rarity of his skill-set, because I do feel defenceman tend draw more scrutiny than forwards.

MacKinnon is a beast and is probably still the better player by a small margin. He’s incredible and is having another fantastic season. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him win a Smyth in the next couple years.

In this scenario, I’d lean a little towards Makar because he’s three years younger. MacKinnon might be more valuable to the Avs because the centre depth on this team isn’t good, but if I was Seattle picking between the two, I’d take Makar.

I can’t imagine losing either guy right now though. Both of them are a treat to watch and make it incredibly fun to be an Avs fan.

Reactions: jabubenice

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Take MacKinnon out of the equation and then we're running either Kadri or Newhook on the top line. Kadri had a good few games but he was looking like dog shit the previous 10-20 games so I wouldn't be too happy with him as C1.

Makar on the other hand has all the tools and the intangibles and he's a RD as well. Those are always in short supply and in need. Still voted for MacKinnon though but you couldn't go wrong with either and it's a good problem to have too many good guys then not enough.
Good point. I answered this more of the mindset of starting a team from scratch. But yeah for this Avalanche team, Mackinnon is more important. I’d agree with that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mackinnon is phenomenal there is no doubt about that, but how long has it been since we've seen Mack take over a game the way Makar has the last 2.

Not long ago...but more importantly did you miss the last playoffs? Compare that to Makar having 4 pts in 2 games against a bottom feeder.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Makar is the rarer talent for the position.

I don't know about that. Being 100% honest here what Fox, Hughes and Heiskanen are doing are playing against him being that special (even if he's the best one of those 4).

Now had Makar joined the league 5 years earlier and putting up numbers like prime EK in his first 2 seasons my opinion would have been different for sure. :laugh:

IMO Mack is up there with Sakic and Forsberg as the best 3 players in Avs history and we don't know yet where he'll rank. He's that good.

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Mack. I agree it’s a lot closer than many realize. Makar game is getting better and could overtake Mack that many already consider the 2nd best player in hockey.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't know about that. Being 100% honest here what Fox, Hughes and Heiskanen are doing are playing against him being that special (even if he's the best one of those 4).

Now had Makar joined the league 5 years earlier and putting up numbers like prime EK in his first 2 seasons my opinion would have been different for sure. :laugh:

IMO Mack is up there with Sakic and Forsberg as the best 3 players in Avs history and we don't know yet where he'll rank. He's that good.

What has Heiskanen done to be on Makar’s level? Makar was better last year, equally as good in the playoffs and WAY better this season. Hughes hasn’t even been close to Makar this year. I still think a lot of his upside, but the difference in play this year is huge. Fox has had a great year. Makar’s been better.

And Makar is putting up EK numbers, literally right now... in his second season.

I think both MacK and Makar are going to be two of the best all-time Avs. Like I said, the 3 year age difference is the biggest determining factor for me.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
What has Heiskanen done to be on Makar’s level?
Fair enough, but he was damn good against us last post season and MORE IMPORTANTLY he doesn't have a the Stars boards constantly pumping his tires. He is as advertised and I would say he is the 2nd best young D in the league, even if that doesn't put him in striking distance of God, I mean Makar.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Fair enough, but he was damn good against us last post season and MORE IMPORTANTLY he doesn't have a the Stars boards constantly pumping his tires. He is as advertised and I would say he is the 2nd best young D in the league, even if that doesn't put him in striking distance of God, I mean Makar.

Fox is better than Heiskanen. I like Dahlin and Hughes more long term too.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I really dont agree at all.

With the amount of time and effort Mack puts into his off season regime, his meal plans, his training, etc. He will prove to be a guy who has a very slow decline. If his skating does slow down, he'll reinvent his game. Just like how Crosby has reinvented his game in his 30s.

I don't think MacK has the same head for the game to reinvent himself.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What has Heiskanen done to be on Makar’s level? Makar was better last year, equally as good in the playoffs and WAY better this season. Hughes hasn’t even been close to Makar this year. I still think a lot of his upside, but the difference in play this year is huge. Fox has had a great year. Makar’s been better.

So much recency bias going on in this thread. At the end of the playoffs last year a ton of people had Heiskanen ahead of Makar, including some people on this board that I won't name.

And Makar is putting up EK numbers, literally right now... in his second season.

Hence my "5 year earlier" comment.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is a scorching hot take.

Wait. It's a "scorching hot take" to believe that Hughes and Dahlin will be better than Fox in the future?

Yep. The recency bias really is off the chart in this thread.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
To be fair, if the avs win that game 7 against the stars I don’t think Heiskanen gets half the recognition that he gets. He hasn’t been a very impressive regular season player in the last two seasons

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Wait. It's a "scorching hot take" to believe that Hughes and Dahlin will be better than Fox in the future?

Yep. The recency bias really is off the chart in this thread.
You read this wrong, it is a scorching hot take to take Hughes or Dahlin over Heiskanen. Re-read it.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
So much recency bias going on in this thread. At the end of the playoffs last year a ton of people had Heiskanen ahead of Makar, including some people on this board that I won't name.

Hence my "5 year earlier" comment.

Just because he advanced further in one playoff, doesn’t mean he’s as good as Makar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad