Makar vs Hughes

Who would you take?

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Watch a hockey game! Hughes might move the puck better and have slightly better hands and that’s it. Care to explain why more people have voted for Makar in these polls? Do they see what you’re seeing?

Done, now it's your turn. Watch Hughes play a couple of times and you should be able to see that he's much better with his stick against the puck, he reads the play quicker, and his positioning is better, than Cale's right now. Which makes sense, as Cale was a lot rawer when drafted & despite the great progress he's made since then, he's still not as polished as Hughes. I like Cale's defensive tools more in the long run, so do expect him to eventually become the better defender, but he simply hasn't been this season and saying that he has really only exposes how little you know about Hughes :dunno:...nevermind implying that Hughes can't defend lol

And since you seem to be having so much trouble understanding this:
I voted for Cale in each of those polls, including this one.

There's nothing wrong with preferring Cale. The issue is talking out of your ass about Hughes, to artificially prop Cale up. There's simply no need for that s***. There are legitimate reasons to prefer Makar -- which are why I voted for him and was driving his bandwagon on our board when the rest of you were still convinced that he would be the dumbest top 10 pick ever and "Barrie 2.0, if we're lucky" -- but his being better defensively right now, is just not one of them. The tape doesn't reflect that, nor do the #s, so there's no justification for claiming it to be true, this season.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Done, now it's your turn. Watch Hughes play a couple of times and you should be able to see that he's much better with his stick against the puck, he reads the play quicker, and his positioning is better, than Cale's right now. Which makes sense, as Cale was a lot rawer when drafted & despite the great progress he's made since then, he's still not as polished as Hughes. I like Cale's defensive tools more in the long run, so do expect him to eventually become the better defender, but he simply hasn't been this season and saying that he has really only exposes how little you know about Hughes :dunno:...nevermind implying that Hughes can't defend lol

And since you seem to be having so much trouble understanding this:
I voted for Cale in each of those polls, including this one.

There's nothing wrong with preferring Cale. The issue is talking out of your ass about Hughes, to artificially prop Cale up. There's simply no need for that s***. There are legitimate reasons to prefer Makar -- which are why I voted for him and was driving his bandwagon on our board when the rest of you were still convinced that he would be the dumbest top 10 pick ever and "Barrie 2.0, if we're lucky" -- but his being better defensively right now, is just not one of them. The tape doesn't reflect that, nor do the #s, so there's no justification for claiming it to be true, this season.
You voted for Makar in each of these polls ‘cause you’re a homer? Hughes might be better than Makar at a couple things, but defending isn’t one of them, lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You voted for Makar in each of these polls ‘cause you’re a homer? Hughes might be better than Makar at a couple things, but defending isn’t one of them, lol.

...no...I voted for Makar because he's more explosive & powerful, has a much better shot, and his skillset better fits a team that does so much of its damage in transition; while featuring MacK n Mikko on our PP so that we don't need our PPQB to do all of the creating.

The bolded is what makes you a homer btw. Hughes has been the better defender this season. You can laugh at it all you want, but that won't stop it from being true. All laughing at it does is show us that not knowing what you are talking about won't stop you from trying to act like you do :dunno:

Last edited:

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
...no...I voted for Makar because he's more explosive & powerful, has a much better shot, and his skillset better fits a team that does so much of its damage in transition; while featuring MacK n Mikko on our PP so that we don't need our PPQB to do all of the creating.

The bolded is what makes you a homer btw. Hughes has been the better defender this season. You can laugh at it all you want, but that won't stop it from being true. All laughing it does is show us that not knowing what you are talking about won't stop you from trying to act like you do :dunno:
Hahahahhaahahahhahahahahaha

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Quinn Hughes has come a long way defensively since he entered the league and might be a touch better than Makar defensively he’s still a minus player and Makar is + 10. While people say plus/ minus doesn’t matter, I think it does to some extent. Especially when these guys are playing top defensive mins on their respective teams.

Reactions: Makar27

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
30 pounds of Ketamine actually...but I'm still not homering as hard as you :dunno:

I don't get why such a big chunk of our fanbase is so insecure about other teams having special talents too. Do y'all not realize that we don't need to be petty homers anymore? We can be objective & still hype the s*** out of our core. We don't need to get butthurt about other teams having nice things; like we did when McDavid arrived on the prospect scene & stole all of MacK's thunder.

I prefer Cale and the explosiveness he brings to the table, but Hughes is a similarly extraordinary talent who is shiftier & more polished. It doesn't take many Vancouver games to see that.
Thank you for your good repping for Av's fans.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Once you reach a certain level of elite this discussion becomes redundant. It's like jordan vs kobe.

You can build around hughes or makar. They are both franchise dman.
Didnt Ghostisbehere have an amazing season?

Not saying either or will fall off but lets not go claiming franchise defenseman quite yet.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hughes with the Trifecta

1) All-Star level scoring
2) All-Star level underlying numbers
3) He Triggers opposing fan-bases.

Do You Kid

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
it's been a while since a good Coffey vs Bourque, Niedermayer vs Lidstrom, Karlsson vs Doughty debate

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Bump. Have to say Hughes and its not even close. Makar just simply does not have nearly the same skating ability or hockey IQ and Hughes can rip it with the best of them. I can see Hughes consistently outperforming Makar for the Norris while Makar will fall behind Miro and Dahlin.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Hughes’ statistical picture this postseason has been pretty ridiculous thus far: 64% CF, + 30% CFrel, with almost 73% defensive zone starts.

Makar is right there, though: insane 73% CF, + 21% CFrel, with majority defensive zone starts. He’s also independently created more offense and been less reliant on the PP for production, and didn’t get the luxury of playing Minnesota.

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Anyone who says AINEC is expressing to the world the fact that they dont know anything about hockey lol

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hughes’ statistical picture this postseason has been pretty ridiculous thus far: 64% CF, + 30% CFrel, with almost 73% defensive zone starts.

Makar is right there, though: insane 73% CF, + 21% CFrel, with majority defensive zone starts. He’s also independently created more offense and been less reliant on the PP for production, and didn’t get the luxury of playing Minnesota.

I wouldn't call Minnesota a luxury when it comes to offense. They had the 2nd lowest xGA in the league all situations and the lowest 5v5 during the regular season. Dubnyk was terrible this season, but he didn't play and Stalock was ok. Plus, Minnesota had much more to play for than the round robin teams.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad