Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
As one of the biggest Makar fans out there, you take the known excellent quantity here every time. That said, I do believe Makar will be an elite talent, and might flip my answer by November of next year.
I choose mystery box. Makar. But your logic is absolutely sound.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
This is too early. I want to vote Makar so bad but that would be disingenuous. Heiskanen is already a top pairing or lower end 1 who will evolve very quickly into an elite 1 d.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Homer vote for Makar. Logical choice is Heiskanen because he had a fantastic rookie campaign and looks primed to be a legit #1D very soon.

But as an Avs fan I have paid close attention to Makar for a while now and the kid has done some truly unbelievable things since being drafted. Straight up dominated College hockey tonight, essentially made it look like a kids league on many nights with the way he was able to skate circles around the other team and did things with the puck nobody else on the ice could even imagine.

He's grown since being drafted, he turned his one weakness(Defense) into a real strength of his game in his first college season and now he actually looks like a very strong two-way Defender that will have the ability to put up crazy offensive numbers going forward. I truly believe he can be a 60-70 point Dman in the NHL in a few years with a Defensive game as strong as a guy like Pietrangelo still, and someone who will give Dahlin a run for the Norris every year.

Reactions: Dominance

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
You take Heiskanen because he's proved himself in the NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Makar ends up better.

He's the best drafted prospect in the world right now imo.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Silly poll

Every argument will boil down to the proven commodity angle

Meaning even the few voting people that actually follow Makar (let alone both) dont really have any solid ways to compare beyond that

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Makar might end up better? Heiskanen has arguably been the Stars best defenseman from the get go, is already a legit #1 and will be the cornerstone of the Stars franchise for the foreseeable future.

If Makar has "better-than-a-franchise-defenseman" potential, than sure.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
This purely depends on the team imo. Miro will be the more well rounded of the 2 and Makar will have more dynamic and game breaking ability. Whichever one your team needs more is the one you take.

I think both guys will be super starts.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Makar might end up better? Heiskanen has arguably been the Stars best defenseman from the get go, is already a legit #1 and will be the cornerstone of the Stars franchise for the foreseeable future.

Let's wait and see him play in the NHL before we start crowning the "franchise defenseman". I have no problem saying that Heiskanen is better than Makar but from what we've seen/heard from Makar in UMass boy he looks promising and I watched a couple games in the frozen four (small sample size I agree) we Avs fans have a reason to be excited about him. Heiskanen is no McDavid's level so it isn't impossible that Makar could end up better.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Let's wait and see him play in the NHL before we start crowning the "franchise defenseman". I have no problem saying that Heiskanen is better than Makar but from what we've seen/heard from Makar in UMass boy he looks promising and I watched a couple games in the frozen four (small sample size I agree) we Avs fans have a reason to be excited about him. Heiskanen is no McDavid's level so it isn't impossible that Makar could end up better.

Doesn't the frozen 4 not start until Thursday?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We need to see maker play some games first. He does have attributes that points him to be a offensive juggernaut.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I see no reason why Makar can't have a better rookie season than Miros current season. Difference he's a year behind. We won't know until a few seasons down the road but I think it could go either way.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Makar has potential to be the best defenseman of this generation. Whether he hits it is another story.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I see no reason why Makar can't have a better rookie season than Miros current season. Difference he's a year behind. We won't know until a few seasons down the road but I think it could go either way.
He is actually 2 years behind because he is 8-9 months older. Makar was one of the oldest player drafted and Heiskanen was one of the youngest top prospects back in the draft. If we look at the pure age it is closer to compare Makars first year in college to Heiskanen this year. At 18 year old Makar played tier 2 junior hockey and got drafted. Heiskanen was chosen best defenseman in Liiga at same age.

Developement sure is not linear and Makar has incredible potential but looking at their age and resume. Heiskanen was/is much further in developement. Makar has talent to surpass Heiskanen but that is really hard task to do.

I have watched a lot of Avs this year and i believe Heiskanen would be their best overall D. He is already that in Dallas.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Makar has proven nothing in the NHL, and he isn't a McDavid franchise changing level of prospect where they are basically a sure thing. There is no guarantee with Makar as of now, and I would guess 31 NHL GMs would also take Heiskanen at this point simply because he has proved himself at the NHL level.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
One is still playing at junior level and one has 3 seasons as a pro under his belt, one of which is in the NHL. There's no denying Makar's talent and potential but the comparison really isn't relevant or even fair at this point. This question should be asked at the earliest when Makar has a full NHL season behind him. Perhaps not even then. Development isn't linear. Especially with d-men. Miro might hit a ceiling in a year or two (unlikely, but you never know) while Makar takes a giant leap forward in a year or two, surpassing Miro in a big way.

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I have watched a lot of Avs this year and i believe Heiskanen would be their best overall D. He is already that in Dallas.
Heiskanen would be our best D hands down. But Makar likely would aswell.

I don't buy your argument about Makar being 2 years behind either. They've had the same amount of development time and I can see Makar having the same level of impact as Heiskanen if he plays this playoff.

This poll is too early but regardless we both got players at 3/4 that seem to be on track to be better than the 1/2 picks and we should be thankful. Makar is just what our team needs and Heiskanen is the same to the Stars.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I don't buy your argument about Makar being 2 years behind either. They've had the same amount of development time and I can see Makar having the same level of impact as Heiskanen if he plays this playoff.

Problem is Makar is 8-9 months older. He is basically playing his 20 year old season this year and Heiskanen 19 year old season. 8-9 months is 1 hockey season and that is huge in developement at this age. Same amount of developement time is false. Again developement isn’t linear and Makar could jump ahead of Heiskanen but it is hard task to do because Heiskanen is still 19 year old and learning.

Makar would likely be best overall D in Avs? Would likely have same impact in playoffs? That is just pure speculation. I wouldn’t say he would not be or have similar impact but there is pretty huge gap between NCAA and NHL. It’s far from certaintity but there is possibility. To me it is extremely rare for young D’s to come into this league without any growing pains. Especially playoff hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad