Makar Ranks 186th in 5v5 Goals Against per Hour Despite Being Stapled to Nathan MacKinnon (He’s Getting Lit Up Defensively)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This is one of those threads that will probably be fun to look at next season.
Why would it be fun to look at next season? I don’t think you’re able to comprehend what was said in that clip or what has been said on these boards about Makar. So let me try to make it very simple for you:

The criticisms about his defensive game are with regards to how he has played THIS SEASON. I don’t recall people on this site or media members trying to say he is now a bad defensive player now and forever. Every criticism I’ve seen of him defensively is specifically focused on the 23/24 season.

Next season Makar could have the best defensive season of any player in NHL history and it wouldn’t make this thread “fun to look at” because what is being suggested in this thread is factual regardless of what has happened previously or what will happen in the future. Or are you suggesting that next season you’ll look back and try to explain how Makar’s hypothetically improved play next season changes his objectively poor defensive play this season?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think it's physically possible for any thread on this entire website to discuss Makar without bringing up Hughes, and vice versa.

Holy f***. They are both incredible. Just enjoy the fact that we have two superstars in their prime blowing through the skylight.
It's impossible because both teams' fans, in particular the Avs, feel compelled to pump up their guy. The * fact * is (used loosely) is this year Hughes is the better player and it's not close. That doesn't mean Makar can't be considered the best d-man in the league "in general", but not this year. Also, some seem to like putting him in his own tier. That's not true either.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why would it be fun to look at next season? I don’t think you’re able to comprehend what was said in that clip or what has been said on these boards about Makar. So let me try to make it very simple for you:

The criticisms about his defensive game are with regards to how he has played THIS SEASON. I don’t recall people on this site or media members trying to say he is now a bad defensive player now and forever. Every criticism I’ve seen of him defensively is specifically focused on the 23/24 season.

I'll try and make it equally simple for you.

When someone posts "OVERRATED CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP" I think it'll be a bit amusing to see if that holds up next year.

I hope that provides a level of clarity and comprehension for you.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

When someone posts "OVERRATED CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP" I think it'll be a bit amusing to see if that holds up next year.

Ok so at least we’re at the heart of it now. You’re worked up about one poster who posted something childishly. It doesn’t change the facts of what’s being said to evaluate his defensive game this season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ok so at least we’re at the heart of it now. You’re worked up about one poster who posted something childishly. It doesn’t change the facts of what’s being said to evaluate his defensive game this season.

I think there's only one person who is worked up here.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024

Look at Makar’s numbers sliding year over year, literally every year of his career. There is a litany of guys who burst onto the scene and faded, it won’t be shocking if he becomes another.

And yeah, he is in fact overrated.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Look at Makar’s numbers sliding year over year, literally every year of his career. There is a litany of guys who burst onto the scene and faded, it won’t be shocking if he becomes another.

He already set a career high for assists in a season this year.

BTW, this post also has a projection about next year so my original comment about reading it again in the future holds up if the thread police is tracking this.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Enter ANY QUOTE FROM WAYNE GRETZKY

No kidding, you'd think that Oiler fans specifically would be hyper aware of this. Like, Gretzky has pumped so many players tires that it's basically a meme at this point.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Sorry, i got distracted cuz i thought the Q was talkin to me.

*advanced numbers

His possession and WOWY numbers have gotten worse every year.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

He's talking about defense and possession numbers.

Also do you not see the connection between that and MacKinnon setting a new career high in goals, probably hitting 50 for the first time? 70% of Makar's ice time has MacKinnon on the ice.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sorry, i got distracted cuz i thought the Q was talkin to me.

*advanced numbers

His possession and WOWY numbers have gotten worse every year.

I guess we'll find out.

Rowlet said:
He's talking about defense and possession numbers.

Also do you not see the connection between that and MacKinnon setting a new career high in goals, probably hitting 50 for the first time? 70% of Makar's ice time has MacKinnon on the ice.

Personally I'm not convinced that he's already played his best hockey at 25.

Defencemen often lose a bit on the offence but can improve on the defensive side of the game as they age anyway.

I have been putting Quinn Hughes as my pick for the Norris all over the place this year so the Canucks army contingent can relax and stand down.

BTW, is it possible that MacKinnon is also setting a new career high in goals in part because of all that time he spends with Makar on the ice?

Last edited:

tanti9

Dec 18, 2023
As a poster said previously, enjoy both of these phenoms as they are both great players. I love watching both Hughes and Makar skate on the ice and their offensive instincts. Makar has had a better career thus far but this season Hughes has been the best defenseman in the NHL. I look forward to these two phenoms battle each other in the upcoming years.

Cheers

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I guess we'll find out.

Personally I'm not convinced that he's already played his best hockey at 25.

Defencemen often lose a bit on the offence but can improve on the defensive side of the game as they age anyway.
i figure he will probably still have a long good career. Don’t tell anyone, but i am intentionally overhating as a reaction to the overrating. *shhhh*, it’s a secret.

He shouldn’t be a norris finalist *this year* regardless.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I would take Makar over any d-man in the league but I do think Hughes should win the Norris this season.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
BTW, is it possible that MacKinnon is also setting a new career high in goals in part because of all that time he spends with Makar on the ice?

It's not super likely, when you look at Makar's corsirel and fenwickrel numbers, MacKinnon is so far ahead of the rest of the team. If you isolate Makar's icetime to just when MacKinnon isn't on the ice, he has numbers below 50% in basically every stat, some as low as 40-45%. Additionally, Makar's ES offensive WAR numbers have been uniquely bad. Toews - Makar had Corsi and Fenwick numbers of about 30% during last week's 7-4 win over Nashville, that's like Brett Lebda being -3 in a Leafs 8-3 win levels of bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad