News Article: MAF Would Have Waived for Calgary

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Yea, I remember all of the worry about the MAF situation. It literally was the best scenario as he rides off into the sunset a champion, and we only lose him in the ED. I wonder who Vegas would have taken had we already traded MAF to CGY

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
At the end of the day, the best decision was taken. He goes to Vegas, we don't lose anyone else to the expansion draft and we didn't need to eat some cap like we would have in a trade.

And let's be honest, we probably don't repeat without him this year with Murray getting hurt before game 1 and the way he went into Washington and stole that series especially game 7!

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
It would have been interesting to see what kind of deal would have happened and who the Pens would have gotten back but like others have said it worked out for the best for everyone.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, couldn't have worked out better. It was awesome for MAF to get the chance to skate with the cup with his held held high. Trading him for some odds and ends would have been a waste.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Please let training camp start so reporters find something to write about instead of what should be ancient history. I guess maybe it becomes marginally relevant if or when Niemi ****s the bed and Jarry isn't ready, but right now, who cares.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Nothing but nice things to say about MAF at this point. He obviously knew he was on the outs long-term and instead of choosing to make a stink about the situation - which he would have been within his rights to do, as a player with a no trade clause - he kept his head down and did everything that was asked of him, and more.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
We make a Fleury deal with Calgary, there's a good chance we get bounced in the first round and have to watch Bryan Rust skating on the Columbus Blue Jackets in the upcoming season. I think what JR did worked out better.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We make a Fleury deal with Calgary, there's a good chance we get bounced in the first round and have to watch Bryan Rust skating on the Columbus Blue Jackets in the upcoming season. I think what JR did worked out better.

Rust for the Blue Jackets? I think you mean Vegas but maybe I'm confused.

I totally agree though. It worked out as best as it could and I'm happy to look like an idiot whining about it all year.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The Flames would have had to give up something good to get MAF after it was known he would waive for expansion. The Flames would have been a back up plan.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It's too bad a trade didn't happen between the two teams. The Pens have to gift wrap a second round pick to ensure Vegas selected Fleury. Plus, Fleury is going to rot in Vegas. It's going to be a long two years unless he can request a trade.

Yea, we won the cup so I have no regrets. But acquiring some assets would have been amazing, depending on what those assets would have been.

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
It's too bad a trade didn't happen between the two teams. The Pens have to gift wrap a second round pick to ensure Vegas selected Fleury. Plus, Fleury is going to rot in Vegas. It's going to be a long two years unless he can request a trade.

Yea, we won the cup so I have no regrets. But acquiring some assets would have been amazing, depending on what those assets would have been.

We very very likely don't win a cup without him in that Washington series.

IN JR WE TRUST!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

**** assets. We won the Stanley freaking Cup. We don't do it without Flower. If someone said to do it all again, i'd give up my first round pick for all i care. :laugh:

It's the Stanley Cup. The guy was insane against Washington.

Heliarclee

Nov 12, 2013
Please let training camp start so reporters find something to write about instead of what should be ancient history. I guess maybe it becomes marginally relevant if or when Niemi ****s the bed and Jarry isn't ready, but right now, who cares.

This. Every post on social media about this, or how Murray feels he hasn't achieved anything yet turns into a bash Murray fest. The guy is gone, no longer on the team, yet every day it's something about him in Pittsburgh news

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We very very likely don't win a cup without him in that Washington series.

IN JR WE TRUST!

Im not going to get into a Fleury debate. He's gone, thankfully. I'm just curious what the return would have been.

A capable back-up goalie would have been fine. But please, let's continue to praise Fleury for his acrobatic saves as a result of his poor positioning.

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
Im not going to get into a Fleury debate. He's gone, thankfully. I'm just curious what the return would have been.

A capable back-up goalie would have been fine. But please, let's continue to praise Fleury for his acrobatic saves as a result of his poor positioning.

I'm not too worried about what we could have got since we won.

Listen Fleury had his ups and downs but what he did in that Washington series is something no capable back up would have done. Hell, even most starters. I don't think any stater could have done better than Fleury in that series at it was our toughest series.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Flames went for the worse goalie instead, good for them, I look forward to them finishing 8th and being bounced in the first round.

Fleury might not make the playoffs for VEgas because GMGM botched the draft, but at least he's not with that mess, I think with MAF, the Flames would have a serious shot.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The Flames were not interested in MAF at the deadline, that has been confirmed by numerous people in the Flames organization. Elliot was playing great at that time and the Flames were not interested in trading assets for something they didnt need. It worked out for the Pens and MAF in the long run, thats all that matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad