News Article: MAF Would Have Waived for Calgary

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
You'd think JR would have been able to work something out with Calgary before they traded for Smith. Trading Fleury for a late round pick would have been better than letting Vegas take him.

Vyruz Reaper

Oct 4, 2005
Sunny SoCal
At the end of the day, the best decision was taken. He goes to Vegas, we don't lose anyone else to the expansion draft and we didn't need to eat some cap like we would have in a trade.

And let's be honest, we probably don't repeat without him this year with Murray getting hurt before game 1 and the way he went into Washington and stole that series especially game 7!

And we won a cup :)

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
You'd think JR would have been able to work something out with Calgary before they traded for Smith. Trading Fleury for a late round pick would have been better than letting Vegas take him.

And then we would have lost Rust to Vegas...

Also sure they could have worked out something but by the time Calgary came to goalie market (after Elliott exploded in the playoffs) there was already a deal with the Vegas for Fleury.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh but it will be fun to see the Flames continue to have goalie issues. I mean they have Smith and Lack, Lack was horrendous last year, like incredibly bad.

Lol, GMBT and GMGM are both clowns. One trades for a terrible goalie, the other guy drafts a solid goalie but ***** the bed defensively.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Rust for the Blue Jackets? I think you mean Vegas but maybe I'm confused.

I totally agree though. It worked out as best as it could and I'm happy to look like an idiot whining about it all year.

Jackets tried to bribe Vegas to take Rust so they could trade for him. Presumably, without the deal in place for them to take Flower, that's exactly what McPhee does.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm not surprised, considering that the NHL set up the rules of the expansion draft to encourage something like that. McPhee just kinda... screwed it up.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Oh but it will be fun to see the Flames continue to have goalie issues. I mean they have Smith and Lack, Lack was horrendous last year, like incredibly bad.

Lol, GMBT and GMGM are both clowns. One trades for a terrible goalie, the other guy drafts a solid goalie but ***** the bed defensively.

If Calgary really wants Fleury they can likely have him at the deadline, and seeing how the expansion went, for next to nothing.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Jackets tried to bribe Vegas to take Rust so they could trade for him. Presumably, without the deal in place for them to take Flower, that's exactly what McPhee does.

Wait, is this legit?

Columbus seriously tried to do that?

Yeah I don't know where this is coming from. Anyone know the original source? That's a pretty weird thing to have somehow gone public.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah I don't know where this is coming from. Anyone know the original source? That's a pretty weird thing to have somehow gone public.

It was from one of the National guys...I think at TSN (but it might have been Kevin Allen)...but I can't find it now.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
It was from one of the National guys...I think at TSN (but it might have been Kevin Allen)...but I can't find it now.

Well I Googled "Bryan Rust Columbus" and found an obit for a Bryan Rust in Columbus Georgia and got sad. If you add "Vegas" to that you get this post, which claims Mark Madden as the source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/penguins/c...rust_expansion_story/?st=j7j9u016&sh=4fe31ca7

I'm wondering if Allen (or whoever) picked it up from him or vice versa.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm wondering if Allen (or whoever) picked it up from him or vice versa.

Maybe it was something like that. I'm listening to Madden right now for the first time since the playoffs ended, so I didn't get it from him (and I don't reddit).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Calgary really wants Fleury they can likely have him at the deadline, and seeing how the expansion went, for next to nothing.

That's if you are assuming MAF doesn't play well in his new role as a leader on an unknown team. Fleury, if he plays very well and Smith just tanks as I feel like he will (same with Bishop actually, but that one is an even funnier situation)...then Fleury won't be had for peanuts.

He's then had a solid playoffs and played well for a new team in its first year. That raises his value whether people want to be petty towards him or not.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's if you are assuming MAF doesn't play well in his new role as a leader on an unknown team. Fleury, if he plays very well and Smith just tanks as I feel like he will (same with Bishop actually, but that one is an even funnier situation)...then Fleury won't be had for peanuts.

He's then had a solid playoffs and played well for a new team in its first year. That raises his value whether people want to be petty towards him or not.

Mine was more a comment on Vegas' GM rather than the Flower. I have been clear over the years that I thought that Fleury, while far from perfect, got a bad rap here and until better came along in Murray, MAF was a better option than what was out there, and said so to many who wanted him jettisoned despite having no replacement.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Mine was more a comment on Vegas' GM rather than the Flower. I have been clear over the years that I thought that Fleury, while far from perfect, got a bad rap here and until better came along in Murray, MAF was a better option than what was out there, and said so to many who wanted him jettisoned despite having no replacement.

Jaded gets it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->