Proposal: MAF to the Hurricanes

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Canes fans that think Bishop wants to play with us are being a little too optimistic, and I don't think RF would really pursue him that hard. MAF has always made more sense to me, but not at the apparent price pens fans want. The top young guys wouldn't be available. Rask is kinda comical, he's essentially our number one center. MAF has years left on a decent sized contract, I don't think he's that easy for the pens to trade and they are under the gun because of the expansion draft. Especially in season. I don't see him bringing back a huge bounty at this point.

The canes would take him but it would have to be a reasonable price. RF hasn't overpaid for a single thing yet, other than Semin's buyout where he had no choice.

What would you want the Canes to offer? I don't actually care if the penguins get "fair" value back, as if it weren't for the expansion they'd happily keep both. Just gotta get rid of the contract

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
Fleury
Simon

For

Lack
Saarela
McKeown

Don't see Carolina wanting to move Saarela and McKeown for Flower. Think the best deal is a simple one anyways. Ward or Lack + a 2nd round pick for Fleury.

Everyone wins then. Carolina gets their number 1 goalie. Pens build the net around Murray and add a pick since they have so many NHL-ready young forwards. Fleury gets to be a number one.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Don't see Carolina wanting to move Saarela and McKeown for Flower. Think the best deal is a simple one anyways. Ward or Lack + a 2nd round pick for Fleury.

Everyone wins then. Carolina gets their number 1 goalie. Pens build the net around Murray and add a pick since they have so many NHL-ready young forwards. Fleury gets to be a number one.

But you also have to offer something to the other team.

A 2nd doesn't do it.

Lack, 2nd, (something good).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why would he even consider Carolina when he can go to Dallas, Maybe Calgary if Elliott doesn't sign, Edmonton if Talbot struggles which I suspect he will.

There are WAY more appealing options than Carolina

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He can go to Dallas? How?

Calgary? Cap?

Talbot?

How are these teams going to fit Fleury?

Dallas exposes Kari and Niemi and replaces them with MAF

OR buys out one of their goalies and brings in MAF

Calgary only goes after him in Elliott doesn't stay.

Edmonton can trade Talbot if he proves not to be the guy if Bernier can be traded anyone can..

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Why would he even consider Carolina when he can go to Dallas, Maybe Calgary if Elliott doesn't sign, Edmonton if Talbot struggles which I suspect he will.

There are WAY more appealing options than Carolina

What about Calgary or Edmonton is "WAY" more appealing than Carolina? Is it the taxes, location, the allure of a similar bubble-Wildcard team, etc?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What about Calgary or Edmonton is "WAY" more appealing than Carolina? Is it the taxes, location, the allure of a similar bubble-Wildcard team, etc?

Are you seriously asking why Edmonton is more appealing?

2 words Connor Mcdavid that's all that needs to be said in regards to Edmonton.

As for Calgary VS Carolina Elliott is likely stating anyway but you got 2 star forwards up front, you got Sam Bennett you got Mathew Tachuck you got Brodie, Giordano, Hamilton Calgary is close,Carolina doesn't have the core Calgary does not even close.

Carolina is a mess.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

As for Calgary VS Carolina Elliott is likely stating anyway but you got 2 star forwards up front, you got Sam Bennett you got Mathew Tachuck you got Brodie, Giordano, Hamilton Calgary is close,Carolina doesn't have the core Calgary does not even close.

Carolina is a mess.

The team that finished 8 spots ahead of Calgary and Edmonton, and has arguably the best young D in the league is a "mess?" Haha, cool story bro but your ignorance is showing

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The team that finished 8 spots ahead of Calgary and Edmonton, and has arguably the best young D in the league is a "mess?" Haha, cool story bro but your ignorance is showing

You got NOTHING in net and only a couple guys up front, yes overall you are a mess

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
You got NOTHING in net and only a couple guys up front, yes overall you are a mess

And yet, with nothing in net the Canes still managed to finish, once again, 8 spots ahead of Edmonton and Calgary. Faulk, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, McKeown, Bean could rival Nashville for a dominant D in a few years, and that lead to a lot of solid seasons for them didn't it. 3rd spot out of the playoffs is far from ideal, but even further from a mess.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think if the price was right on Fleury, this would've happened already. RF says he checked out the market on goalies, and nothing made sense for a team where the canes are. I assume he and JR talked about this and the price was either too high or JR wasn't ready to let him go yet anyway.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And yet, with nothing in net the Canes still managed to finish, once again, 8 spots ahead of Edmonton and Calgary. Faulk, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, McKeown, Bean could rival Nashville for a dominant D in a few years, and that lead to a lot of solid seasons for them didn't it. 3rd spot out of the playoffs is far from ideal, but even further from a mess.

Good for you, you managed to finish middle of the pack, not good enough to be a playoff team not bad enough to get any of the top young talent AKA no man's land.

That's where the Leafs were from 2006-2014 and trust a Leaf fan when he tells you that's not a good place to be.

That ended in 2014 when we got Nylander, then came Marner then came Mathews and we all know how it looks in Toronto now.

Ditto Edmonton they got Mcdavid and the moment that happened players wanted to join them, first came Sekera, last summer came Lucic and now the oilers are seen as an attractive team to play for that is FINALLY on the rise.

Now I don't expect either of the Leafs or Oilers to be a playoff team this year I don't think it's in the cards but both teams are loaded with young talent and now that both teams have Franchise centres they are looking up.

Carolina needs to do what the Leafs and Oilers did they need to tank to do everything in their power to get Nolan Patrick because you can sit there and say you aren't a mess because you finished 8 spots ahead of the oilers but all that means is you are a middle of the pack team and that leads nowhere all that does is keep you stuck in neutral.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But you also have to offer something to the other team.

A 2nd doesn't do it.

Lack, 2nd, (something good).

I think that was a Pens fan stating that. But even so, the biggest thing IMO being offered to the Pens in any deal for MAF is Cap space.

I doubt that MAF has Carolina on his list anyhow. I'd be ok with the Canes acquiring MAF. I wouldn't be throwing good prospects/player like McKeown, Rask (LOL), etc.. to get it done though. If it means it doesn't happen, then so be it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's where the Leafs were from 2006-2014 and trust a Leaf fan when he tells you that's not a good place to be.

That's not where the Leafs were in that timeframe. You say it "ended" with Nylander but are conveniently ignoring that from 2008-2012 the Leafs had 4 picks that were higher than the Nylander pick. It's just that they either made bad picks, traded them (Seguin), or got unlucky with a draft that wasn't as talented.

2008: 5th pick in the NHL draft (moved up from #7)
2009: 7th pick in the NHL draft
2010: 2nd pick in the NHL draft
2012: 5th pick in the NHL draft
2014: 8th pick in the NHL draft
2015: 4th pick in the NHL draft

Let's not act like the Leafs only had only mid first round picks until 2014. It's only this past year where they truly tanked for Matthews.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
That's not where the Leafs were in that timeframe. You say it "ended" with Nylander but are conveniently ignoring that from 2008-2012 the Leafs had 4 picks that were higher than the Nylander pick. It's just that they either made bad picks, traded them (Seguin), or got unlucky with a draft that wasn't as talented.

2008: 5th pick in the NHL draft (moved up from #7)
2009: 7th pick in the NHL draft
2010: 2nd pick in the NHL draft
2012: 5th pick in the NHL draft
2014: 8th pick in the NHL draft
2015: 4th pick in the NHL draft

Let's not act like the Leafs only had only mid first round picks until 2014. It's only this past year where they truly tanked for Matthews.

But...but...they only tanked one year!

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Carolina is a mess.

They already have Talbot and Elliot so they won't be trading for MAF.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland

Umm... wouldn't having "nothing" in net be irrelevant to Fleury as thats his position? If anything a chance to be an undisputed number one on a team with the potential to have the strongest defensive core in the league would be more alluring than playing with teams that offer superstar offensive threats and have little to nothing on the backend. I'm not a Hurricane's fan but this statement seems out of place in a MAF to Carolina thread thats been focused on him potentially refusing to waive.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Fleury is in year 1 of 3 at a $5.75 million cap hit...that's a pretty good contract for a fringe top 10 goalie who isn't likely to start physically declining until after his current deal is up. Especially when the alternative is being one of numerous teams lining up to sign Bishop (again, one team is going to get Bishop next year...though I've seen at least six fan bases use him as a trump card in negotiations on this board...do the math).

At the end of the day I think it's a moot point since I expect that Carolina (as well as most of the Metropolitan Division) is on Fleury's no-trade list, but I'm always baffled when Fleury's contract is brought up as some sort of negative outside of the situation in Pittsburgh. You're not getting a better goalie at that cap hit without paying a massive premium on a younger goalie.

As for the expansion draft stuff...I'll keep repeating myself here. There will be plenty of good goalies available in the Expansion Draft, so this Murray or bust mentality I've seen is a bit extreme. Plus someone like Derrick Pouliot would usually be hugely appealing for an expansion team - a former high pick with a ton of upside who plays a style of hockey that typically costs a premium to acquire, who just so happens to be blocked thanks to being on a very good team. I honestly don't think it'll be too hard for the Pens to persuade Vegas to look elsewhere for goalies...hell, I wouldn't be that surprised if Fleury is starting for Vegas next year.

Either way, if worst comes to worst the Pens will buyout Fleury and deal with ~$2 million in dead cap space rather than allow Murray to be selected and I really doubt it comes to that.

I don't expect the Pens to get a 'fair' trade for Fleury because of the expansion draft stirring the market, but I really don't think this is going to have as poor of a result for the Pens as many want to happen.

Yes. He'd be an impending UFA so there's no chance Vegas would waste a pick on him, but the expansion draft occurs before Condon's contract expires.

It is funny when Penguin fan think they will be able to dissuade Vegas from picking Murray if he was exposed. You honestly think you can offer anything worthy of Vegas not taking a young stud goalie who led his team to the SC? Not happening. Fleury has to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad