Eklund Rumor: MAF to LA Kings?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I can see the logic. Apparently Quick is out for 3+ months. Cam Budaj/Zatkoff hold the load? Maybe. If the Kings management don't think so, they could make a move.

The problem is cap space. The Kings have less than $2mil I believe. They'd need to free up almost $4mil. The Pens will absolutely not retain on MAF. So it will have to be contracts coming back. I can't imagine who would be moved from LA that the Pens would need/want that the Kings would be willing to move.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If this was MAF's last year of his contract then I can see it. But he still has a couple years left after this year and Quick is only gone for a few months

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
''It appears''

''could be''

This is a joke.

How would LA fit in Quick and MAF come February or March once Quick is healthy and off LTIR? Not to mention the potential cap disaster if Vegas did not grab MAF in the expansion draft.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I can see the logic. Apparently Quick is out for 3+ months. Cam Budaj/Zatkoff hold the load? Maybe. If the Kings management don't think so, they could make a move.

The problem is cap space. The Kings have less than $2mil I believe. They'd need to free up almost $4mil. The Pens will absolutely not retain on MAF. So it will have to be contracts coming back. I can't imagine who would be moved from LA that the Pens would need/want that the Kings would be willing to move.

What about the next two seasons. Kings gonna spend 20% of their cap on goaltending?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I wish. On the ice Fleury is far and away the best option. However the cost will probably be too high and his contract is a couple years too long for the Kings.

With Quick on LTIR cap space isn't really a problem this year. However it is in the future.

MarcusKane*

Feb 4, 2013
MAF is signed through 2018-2019..... so what the kings are going to keep both?you think their going to rent a 1a goalie for what could be 3-4 month? Definately not this doesn't even make sense. Eklund has always been a joke but this just takes the cake.

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Flower is not UFA this summer: a Quick-Fleury tandem would be more expensive than a Niemi-Lehtonen one. There's no way this happens...

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Flower is not an UFA this summer: a Quick-Fleury tandem would be more expensive than a Niemi-Lehtonen one. There's no way this happens...

Thats not really a comparable though. Quick and Fleury are two top 10 goalies that are underpaid compared to similar goalies. Niemi and Lehtonen are 1Bs at best and have 2 of the worst contracts for goalies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, Quick out for 3 months...
Trade for a goalie who makes 5.75 a year for next 3 seasons...:laugh:

This "rumor" = Humor

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Thats not really a comparable though. Quick and Fleury are two top 10 goalies that are underpaid compared to similar goalies. Niemi and Lehtonen are 1Bs at best and have 2 of the worst contracts for goalies.

I agree, but contractually speaking, that's a cap hit of almost 12 millions, that's huge!

How about a trade with Minnesota for Darcy Kuemper?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I just find it frustrating how ever Eklund thread if full of people complaining about Eklund instead of talking about logistics of the deal.
Nobody called out Friedman and he gifted even less of a source.

I get it, Friedman has a recorded reliability (and I love Friedman, don't mean to knock him), but it's Eklund has a recorded history of passing on all talks he hears.
So instead of talking about Eklund, talk about the rumours he has heard; teams talk literally all the time and you better believe the Kings have talked to other teams about goaltenders. Let's talk about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This is beyond dumb for so many reasons. Fleury is signed for two years past this season and needs to be protected at the expansion draft...he makes sense for a handful of teams, but not for one that has Jonathan Quick locked up long-term and will get Quick back likely with plenty of time to spare before the trade deadline, to say nothing of the playoffs.

"Could be a target" is nothing more than piecing together that LA needs a goalie right now, and Fleury is going to be available at some point before the expansion draft...but beyond those two very basic points it doesn't pass any further scrutiny.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dont really see Pittsburgh in any rush to trade him TBH ,having him around for another year as they try to defend their championship has value too

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
MAF to the Kings makes absolutely zero sense, Eklund has lost it on this one.:laugh: Get real around $5.8 million for 3 more years this is worse then Howard. Unless Lombardi plans on dealing Dustin Brown to Pittsburgh this will definitely not happen and JR isn't taking on that bad Brown contract. What little credibility Eklund had and it wasn't much. Is definitely gone on this one.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If it's for a 3rd round pick and the hope that Vegas claims him, then maybe.

Otherwise doesn't make sense.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
He's clearly just guessing here....

But you all do realize they could trade Fleury again after quick gets back, right?

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
only way this make sense to me is brown going the other way and dean planning on fliping quick somewhere when healthy for a better return

I think we can safely assume the Pens aren't going to touch Brown's contract as the whole purpose of moving MAF would be cap.space. This really doesn't make sense for either side for various reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad