MAF: The One Guy We Can't Lose

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
First of all, I'm a MAF hater from WAY back. I've never been a huge fan and I'm willing to admit that in the past I've been all for running him out of town on a rail.

That said, I believe he has established himself as the one guy we can't afford to lose to Mumps, upper body injury or some phantom "day to day" injury. He's played so well this season they even being ravaged by injuries has hardly mattered at all. He's got basically the WBS back end playing in front of him (extremely well) and he hasn't missed a beat.

I think losing him at this point would be more catastrophic to the team's chances of winning then even Sid or Geno.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
First of all, I'm a MAF hater from WAY back. I've never been a huge fan and I'm willing to admit that in the past I've been all for running him out of town on a rail.

That said, I believe he has established himself as the one guy we can't afford to lose to Mumps, upper body injury or some phantom "day to day" injury. He's played so well this season they even being ravaged by injuries has hardly mattered at all. He's got basically the WBS back end playing in front of him (extremely well) and he hasn't missed a beat.

I think losing him at this point would be more catastrophic to the team's chances of winning then even Sid or Geno

Thoughts?

Yes, he has been great , but I'm gonna wait for the playoffs to see if he has indeed evolved into an elite goaltender. I just don't trust him. Sorry to sound like a broken record here.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
Yes, he has been great , but I'm gonna wait for the playoffs to see if he has indeed evolved into an elite goaltender. I just don't trust him. Sorry to sound like a broken record here.

Not at all. I think we all agree on that one.

I just think in terms of right this minute he's the guy that would cripple us the most if he got hurt.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
He's been great but Greiss hasn't done anything to show he'd be a weakness either. So I'd have to disagree based on who's backing him up.

Zatkoff? That'd be a different story.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Losing him to the mumps (i.e. for maybe a week) would not be an issue at all. Even with a longer injury, we'll probably coast into the playoffs.

So no, I don't agree.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
MAF has had a great regular season to this point, but they would't have any problems if he went down.

If i was making a list of players the pens could least afford to lose MAF wouldn't be very high on my list.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
MAF has had a great regular season to this point, but they would't have any problems if he went down.

If i was making a list of players the pens could least afford to lose MAF wouldn't be very high on my list.

Wow. I find that quite surprising.

Respectfully, I think an injury to MAF and a subsequent heavy dose of Greiss would be quite noticeable. We wouldn't tank or anything but I argue that more than one of the 47 shots Florida put on goal goes in last night.

Am I really the minority on this?

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base

Respectfully, I think an injury to MAF and a subsequent heavy dose of Greiss would be quite noticeable. We wouldn't tank or anything but I argue that more than one of the 47 shots Florida put on goal goes in last night.

Would we win fewer games? Probably.

Would we still make the playoffs? Easily.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

As someone who isn't a MAF fan i'l give him credit for a great first 25 games, but at some point this season hes going to regress.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I'll tell you what, let's go a different direction on this. Who, if not MAF, would be the worst player to lose?

Just one guy.

The issue here (and we're nitpicking) is we have a completely competent guy behind him. And then there's MAF's history of playoff debacles.

Whereas say Malkin goes down for the year, I'd say we're done for. You can load up Sid's line but we just wouldn't have the firepower.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The most encouraging thing about MAF is that he seems to have broken some bad habits, and become much more consistent. Last year was a step forward, i'm cautiously optimistic this year will be another one.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, MAF's been awesome so far this year, but Griess has been nearly as impressive. I don't think losing MAF would be a huge hit to us, even if we'd lose a few more games.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I'll tell you what, let's go a different direction on this. Who, if not MAF, would be the worst player to lose?

Just one guy.

Right now it's probably Geno, Sid and Letang (in that order). The first two are self-explanatory and even though the kids are playing great on defense, our transition game is really hurting when Letang is out.

Whambino

Nov 28, 2014
The thing I think has been Fleury's biggest issue in the past was his confidence. He wasn't confident in himself nor his defense in front of him. Now he is very confident in both (which I think JR had a HUGE impact on) plus he has continued to work on the little areas of his game. He's not relying on his athleticism as much and is more poised and technical. He isn't overplaying pucks as much and is doing a very good job controlling rebounds. Playoffs are still a big question, but I have no doubt he will return to the form we saw from him in '08 and '09. Yes he has proven himself weak the last couple years, but then again, so has everyone else. We can't forget how strong he was before that. He has the ability to be the best player on the ice come playoff time, so lets hope he lives up to the bill.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
Right now it's probably Geno, Sid and Letang (in that order). The first two are self-explanatory and even though the kids are playing great on defense, our transition game is really hurting when Letang is out.

I agree with Letang. He's #2 on my list.

The defense just isn't the same without him. Not to say losing Sid/Geno wouldn't be horrible but they can be replaced by the other for a period of time.

I find it interesting how much these boards think of Greiss. I like him too but as our #1 goalie for MONTHS? I don't know about that one.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Right now, for me it's Malkin, but I believe as long as we have either Crosby or Malkin in the line up we'll be fine in the regular season.

I still think it's Crosby. He's been in a vicious slump this past month or so but he will snap out of it because he's Crosby.

I honestly still think the guy is going to win the art ross. Voracek, Seguin, and Giroux are all pretenders. I'd be shocked if Sid doesn't find a way back to 100 points by the end of the year. He's just too good to play like he has.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I dislike when people have this idea that Fleury has never been good in the regular season before. He's been amazing in the regular season almost every year. His demons need to be defeated in the postseason and I thought last year was a good start.

That being said there are a few things I really like about this year. His rebound control, for the first time in his career, is pretty solid. Very controlled. I also love how he's come up big in big games. At this point, I would be okay with a ****** play here and there because how solid he's been.

But ultimately this thread is premature. I'll celebrate how well Fleury is playing, but his demons will be met in the postseason.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
I still think it's Crosby. He's been in a vicious slump this past month or so but he will snap out of it because he's Crosby.

I honestly still think the guy is going to win the art ross. Voracek, Seguin, and Giroux are all pretenders. I'd be shocked if Sid doesn't find a way back to 100 points by the end of the year. He's just too good to play like he has.

Oh definitely, but as long as Sid is slumping we cannot afford to lose Malkin.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I dislike when people have this idea that Fleury has never been good in the regular season before. He's been amazing in the regular season almost every year. His demons need to be defeated in the postseason and I thought last year was a good start.

That being said there are a few things I really like about this year. His rebound control, for the first time in his career, is pretty solid. Very controlled. I also love how he's come up big in big games. At this point, I would be okay with a ****** play here and there because how solid he's been.

But ultimately this thread is premature. I'll celebrate how well Fleury is playing, but his demons will be met in the postseason.

The thing about his demons though is Maf was really good for us in the playoffs in 07-08 when we were a more defensively minded team. Then Bylsma arrived and it was go go go and Maf started struggling in the post season.

Now that we play a more methodical puck possession style with less turnovers I think Maf is as poised as ever for success. The key won't just be Maf it will be does the team stick to the patient style that MJ preaches, or do they fall apart and start forcing offense at the first sign of trouble? If we continue to play this patient style of not giving teams anything then I think there will be few teams in the league that can beat us.

And of course we'll only get better post trade deadline as JR is bound to bring in a few more pieces. Other teams will do that too of course but given our top six winger situation I think few teams will benefit more from the TDL (assuming Jr has a good one) than us.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
I'll celebrate how well Fleury is playing, but his demons will be met in the postseason.

Again, I would agree but this topic can be extended to "Who can we not afford to lose via injury, mumps or regression in play?"

I think if anything we can all agree that MAF has to be our best player in the postseason, no? No more series like the ones against the Islanders or Habs...

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Again, I would agree but this topic can be extended to "Who can we not afford to lose via injury, mumps or regression in play?"

I think if anything we can all agree that MAF has to be our best player in the postseason, no? No more series like the ones against the Islanders or Habs...

He doesn't have to be our best player, he just can't be one of our worst players.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Yeah, MAF's been awesome so far this year, but Griess has been nearly as impressive. I don't think losing MAF would be a huge hit to us, even if we'd lose a few more games.

While I agree that Greiss has been very solid in the backup role, I can't help but look at the contrast between his record and Fleury's. In 18 more starts, Fleury has exactly 2 more losses than Greiss.

I don't think they'd crash and burn or anything like that, but they wouldn't be the force the they've been thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad