Confirmed with Link: Mads Søgaard (G) signed to ELC

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Okay, what's the alternative? Gustavsson and Daccord both have 1 year of waiver exception after this season, neither are far off from being ready and to be honest both look more promising. Do we hold both goaltender's back to give Hogberg another look?
It shouldn't have come to this to begin with.

Signing Murray to that contract when we were not ready to compete and had several goalies looking primed to make a move is what created this.

A short term placeholder would have allowed for Hog to get more games and then set up Hog & Daccord to be the tandem next year.

Bottom line is that developing players to be NHL ready then losing them for nothing is bad business regardless of how you end up there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Signing Murray to that contract when we were not ready to compete and had several goalies looking primed to make a move is what created this.

A short term placeholder would have allowed for Hog to get more games and then set up Hog & Daccord to be the tandem next year.

Bottom line is that developing players to be NHL ready then losing them for nothing is bad business regardless of how you end up there.
Well one of them would have been gone anyway. Gus or daccord. Even if we protect one. Kraken probably take the other. That’s the way she goes sometimes.

I don’t know what we could have done instead honestly. We just have to hope they want tierney lmao

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well one of them would have been gone anyway. Gus or daccord. Even if we protect one. Kraken probably take the other. That’s the way she goes sometimes.

I don’t know what we could have done instead honestly. We just have to hope they want tierney lmao

Possibly, yes.

Frustration abounds...we suck yet may give away another NHL caliber goalie. I am just venting...good problem to have I guess.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I guess it depends how you view Hogberg. Personally never been a fan so it's not a huge lose to me. Willing to accept that some prospects don't turn out. Maybe he gets there eventually but wether Murray was here or doesn't change much, he would have been 26 on an expiring contract with Daccord and Gustavsson still behind him and never really shown he is NHL calibre.

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
Murray
Gustavsson
Hogberg
Daccord
Sogaard
Mandolese

Hindsight is 20/20 but boy, I wish the guy at the top of the list wasn't there going into next season. I'd honestly be fine going Daccord/Gus to start next year.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Naw, you need a vet in net along with one of the rookies.

Let see how Murray goes now, he was playing well right before injury.

I absolutely would not want to go into next season with two rookies in net. That sounds like large potential for disaster.

Let a rook battle Murray for the net next year and beyond, and I feel like Gus might win out out amongst the kids for now.

Reactions: pzeeman

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Okay, what's the alternative? Gustavsson and Daccord both have 1 year of waiver exception after this season, neither are far off from being ready and to be honest both look more promising. Do we hold both goaltender's back to give Hogberg another look?

Plus, we're going to keep developing Sogaard (20), Mandolese (20) and Merilainen (18) who all have pretty good potential. There's only 4 pro jobs to fill. I guess if Seattles takes Murray (26), then maybe re-sign Hogberg (26) 1 year but like you said, Gustavsson (22) and Daccord (24) seem very close to ready to play in the NHL.

Heck, the sens could even re-sign Anton Forsberg too. Too many options lol. Nothing against Hogberg, but the right move would be to move on from him. I always "liked" him but never had more faith than possible backup anyway

Sogaard, Daccord and now even Gustavsson all look more promising. Not to mention, the guy we have under contract for 3 more years is only 26 y/o and has already won 2 Stanley Cups by stealing the 4th All-Time Wins Leader's job twice and also totally dominated the AHL at 20 & 21 y/o. I believe Matt Murray can easily rebound if he stops being injured and we have a better defensive structure going forward. And also if we learn to play on the road. Murray has a 0.909 SV% at home this season. The problem from my POV is on the road where there's a lot of deadly turnovers right in the slot and Murray got beat on a ton of these, which has also been the case for pretty much all the guys who played that position for the Sens this season.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When we saw Pierre at dev camp 2019. He said he took sogaard A. Because they like him. B. They really like daccord and Gus and chances are any expansion team probably will like them too.

Reactions: hn777

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I can't project goalies worth a damn, but I'm optimistic about him.

6'7, good athleticism, 4 straight seasons above .900 SV%, sweet name.

Could be the goalie of the future.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Saw a recent interview with Mads on youtube, and I like his attitude. He also played well against Aalborg, his hometown club, in the playoffs semi, but as expected Aalborg had too much firepower up front for Esbjerg.

For any danes who are interested in the interview, here it is, unfortunately no english subs

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
He also played well against Aalborg, his hometown club, in the playoffs semi

I don't know about that. He left halway through his first start against Aalborg with an injury and in his two other starts he let in four goals in each game.

His overall save percentage in the playoffs were .888 with a GAA of 3.01 with Thomas Lillie outperforming him grossly at .925 and 2.81. Let's leave it at that.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Roster Notes:
The Belleville Sens will have Mads Sogaard in goal tonight for the first time,
backed up by Cedric Andree.

Who to Watch:
Mads Sogaard, a 2019 round 2 #37 overall draft pick by Ottawa Senators, is coming off a season in the Metal Ligaen – Denmark’s top professional hockey league – where he posted a 10-5-1 record and a league-leading .922 save percentage as a member of the Esbjerg Energy. Sogaard spent the past two season with the Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) and this afternoon will be his first game for the Sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad