Value of: Madison Bowey

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd consider trading Bowey for a talented forward prospect. Washington could use a little D<->F exchange in the system.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sounds like DSP is a notorious dough boy and can't keep his fat under the limit. I don't mind putting him in the lineup for some playoff games but he looked like trash through the regular season last year. Dont think much would change this time around.

Not looking for a fight here....but you are woefully undervaluing what DSP did in the playoffs.

Far as Bowey...I’d like to see him traded. I’d want a prospect that has more time in juniors, but with good upside. Don’t care the position.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Not looking for a fight here....but you are woefully undervaluing what DSP did in the playoffs.

Far as Bowey...I’d like to see him traded. I’d want a prospect that has more time in juniors, but with good upside. Don’t care the position.
I kind of never downplayed what he did in the playoffs. The point was about his regular seasons performances.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd consider trading Bowey for a talented forward prospect. Washington could use a little D<->F exchange in the system.
Meh. With Kempny hurt and Orpik aging, I'd rather keep the defensive depth at this point. I don't think we'd get a forward prospect that's a substantial upgrade over what we have (teams aren't eager to trade those types of prospects, especially for a stalled prospect like Bowey).

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Caps have a full defensive unit

Carlson- Kempny
Nisky-Orlov
Djoos-Orpik

If Kempny's hurt it looks like Siegs is the #7D. They need to keep the following slots open for young dmen to cycle through. THEY DONT NEED ANOTHER MARGINAL NHL DMAN. If they ditch Bowey, it's to give other young players a chance. Send draft picks or prospects 1-2 years away.

Bowey would be a good pickup for a rebuilding team to play on their bottom pair, hoping he makes the jump to top 4 in a couple years.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers will trade you Kassian with half retained so you can flip him in every time Wilson does something stupid.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Caps have a full defensive unit

Carlson- Kempny
Nisky-Orlov
Djoos-Orpik

If Kempny's hurt it looks like Siegs is the #7D. They need to keep the following slots open for young dmen to cycle through. THEY DONT NEED ANOTHER MARGINAL NHL DMAN. If they ditch Bowey, it's to give other young players a chance. Send draft picks or prospects 1-2 years away.

Bowey would be a good pickup for a rebuilding team to play on their bottom pair, hoping he makes the jump to top 4 in a couple years.

Orpik is gone after this year and both Orpik and Kempny are question marks. There's no reason to trade Bowey until absolutely necessary, if he has an impressive stretch his value as a potential physical right hand PMD will skyrocket. He's not so different from Montour if he puts it together

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I havent given up on Bowey yet, D sometimes just take more time to develope. But that being said Capitals just dont have the roster space and time to wait forever for it to happen either. He has already been passed by Djoos, is about to be passed by Siege, and Hobbs/Johansen/Alexeyeev/Fehervary are next on the line waiting to pass him. And we even have few more in the mix. Bowey is entering the territory where we need to think about moving him just to give some room for our incoming wave of young Ds.

Though timing doesnt work for now. Pretty much everyone is settling their roster after the camps and theres no real order for a struggling young D that nobody knows what to do with. Value right now wouldnt be worth to move him. And Kempny being injured is another thing. So propably its not about doing it right now, but the leash is getting short.

But what would be his value? He was drafted on the later half of second round. His stock was rising on junior level after breaking Shea Webers record and getting us all excited etc, but since turning to pro he hasnt really made anything noteworthy, except of the fact for being a part of Stanley Cup winning team. He brought all the weaknesses he had from the juniors with him, but havent been able to bring enough of the upside to cover it. Still, he broke down records in juniors and since that basicly has been stuck behind a really strong D-group. He still has some serious upside that should collect some interest. Id say his actual value is close from late second where he was originally drafted to early 3rd. It could even be more, but our situation propably encourages slight downgrade on whatever we think his worth.

On that base and purely value wise, maybe a rebuilding team that has time and patience to see him struggle to find his path is a good fit. But for whatever AHL/NHL fringe player or that sort of struggling prospect for struggling prospect swap you would offer, we are not interested. That sort of guys we have plenty of in our own system. Only need is top end prospects and draft picks right now and Bowey isnt returning a top end prospect.

So at the end, im not sold an early 3rd or something like that as very interesting offer for us either. Why not rather just push the decision forward and wait another year to see it out. Or use him as an add-on piece for a more interesting TDL-move. And like the poster above said, getting icetime due injuries and pulling a good scretch might do wonders to his value too, or you know, he might break out too.

So long story short, Too early for that decision.

Last edited:

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Orpik is gone after this year and both Orpik and Kempny are question marks. There's no reason to trade Bowey until absolutely necessary, if he has an impressive stretch his value as a potential physical right hand PMD will skyrocket. He's not so different from Montour if he puts it together

For this year, Kempny's only questionable for the start of the season. Seigs has the inside track on Orpiks spot next year. With Bowey no longer waiver exempt, he needs to be on the bottom pair, but he hasn't earned it. The Caps have other dmen waiting in the wings (Seigs, Lujo, and Hobbs) who need to be playing some NHL games each year.

There is clearly a logjam for that 6/7d spot. Bowey makes the most sense to trade. He may pan out, but he needs to be playing every night - that doesn't work well right now for the Caps.

That makes him an ideal trade candidate.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
For this year, Kempny's only questionable for the start of the season. Seigs has the inside track on Orpiks spot next year. With Bowey no longer waiver exempt, he needs to be on the bottom pair, but he hasn't earned it. The Caps have other dmen waiting in the wings (Seigs, Lujo, and Hobbs) who need to be playing some NHL games each year.

There is clearly a logjam for that 6/7d spot. Bowey makes the most sense to trade. He may pan out, but he needs to be playing every night - that doesn't work well right now for the Caps.

That makes him an ideal trade candidate.

Again, he has no trade value now but could have legit value if he impresses by virtue of the type of player (lower end Dumba, who also took his sweet time becoming top 4 NHL caliber) he could be for a team. Bowey on the bottom pairing over whoever else won't make or break the caps. Orlov, Niskanen, Carlson, Djoos could all easily get injured over the course of the season. Do you think Bowey just stumbled into 50 games played last year?

Waive whoever can clear waivers, sit Orpik half the season and between that and inevitable injuries we'll have plenty of playing time for everybody. Plus a lot can change in a year, Siegs and Bowey could easily flip tracks by next spring/fall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad