Madden 17 XBox1 PS4

Sep 19, 2008
Madden 17

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/5/...ronkowski-ea-sports-features-gameplay-trailer

EA Sports released the "first look" trailer of the game, and in their features announcement posted several in-game screenshots. In a leaked posting on the Xbox online store Wednesday, the game's bullet points described a heavy focus on improving franchise mode and mechanics focused on revamping controls as a ball-carrier. They confirmed the latter point on Thursday:

So now, expect your bigger bruising backs to be more effective with truck moves and stiff arms, while smaller, shiftier backs have more effective jukes and spins. Now don't worry if you're not a magician yet on the sticks. New Ball Carrier UI Prompts help teach moves available to you, while the new Path Assist helps you navigate and anticipate down field.

Last year's focus was on the passing game and interactions between defenders and wide receivers, while this year the focus seems to be on giving the player more control with the football in their hands. The running game did feel unpolished in last year's game, so this is a welcome change. EA also announced that lower skill levels will allow players to have the game pick the proper moves for them.

They also touted a new "Defensive AI System," which includes "Gap Play, Force Defenders and improved Zone Coverages," giving more depth to strategy on that side of the ball. The gap play is an interesting note, as the front play on the defensive line is usually on auto-pilot with player control typically designed on rushing the quarterback and not much else. If there is actual nuance to the gap play up front, it could bring a new level of strategy to the series.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Good looking trailer. Last madden I bought was 25 and I didn't really care for it. Hope this one's better.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
All I play is franchise. Be a pro mode is way to easy. win the super bowl every year. Break every record.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I only play madden for the online league HF does (well it used to be just HF, but it's kind of expanded beyond that). Personally, that alone makes it worth 60 every year.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Its hard to play these games anymore because they force you to watch the fake broadcast offline and load and sim times have not improved even a little, gotten worse if anything

Same issue with NBA, horrible load screens

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Anyone get Madden 17 through EA Access early? Or plan on getting it down the road?

Thoughts so far? I dont have it but I might get it eventually. Just want some reviews.

Jul 10, 2010
Anyone get Madden 17 through EA Access early? Or plan on getting it down the road?

Thoughts so far? I dont have it but I might get it eventually. Just want some reviews.
I like it, played a few games with Access, running seems a lot more realistic

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I haven't played a Madden in forever up until 2016 and I actually thought it was pretty good so I'll be getting 17. I mean nothing will never live up to NFL2k5 but it's good enough.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
I played two games of draft champions. The one thing I noticed was a lot more dropped passes (in coverage) which I don't really mind. I honestly don't think the changes to the run game are that drastic, but I do feel the secondary zone coverage is much better. Nothing groundbreaking, but I like the changes so far. I'll probably get it

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I downloaded it yesterday morning , but had to work late so I only made some minor tweaks to the rosters before calling it a night.

I admit I didn't follow the updates for 17, but I hope development for young players keeps on improving for Franchise. Also curious about contracts for FAs.

Glad to hear the gameplay got a nice update. Really enjoyed 16 , but hey more improvements the better.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It'll have a couple of the new stadiums like Mercedes Benz.

6_4746871.jpg

6_4746865.jpg

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
I've played about 4 hours so far of franchise and it is pretty much the same as last year. I haven't made it to the off season yet though. The changes that I've seen so far are a few more menus and better graphics. There are a few gameplay changes to player speeds and stamina as well.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
Its hard to play these games anymore because they force you to watch the fake broadcast offline and load and sim times have not improved even a little, gotten worse if anything

It isn't as bad as it was in the past. You are forced to watch a few long cut scenes when you start the game, but there are now options to skip the ingame cutscenes

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

NBA 2K load times are pretty small and the load screens have you setting your lineup and coaching strategies so you're doing something while the game is loading anyway. What more do you want from a load screen than something practical that actually matters in game?

Maybe you're talking about NBA Live, but if you are then you're doing NBA games wrong anyway.

Sep 19, 2008
They had multiple TV's set up last night at the football game with Madden 17 so I was able to try it out.

The game literally looks identical to 16 presentation wise. It's a little insulting. For someone that just comes in and plays it you couldn't even tell the difference, the scoreboard is the same, even the menus are highly similar. The only reason you could tell it was 17 was if you pressed the Xbox logo and it says on the screen "Madden NFL 17"

Not sure if this is new but you can forward through replays now by holding down A. They still have all this crap between plays though, you should be able to press A and immediately skip the video presentation and replays. Also the Redskins scoreboard animations are impressively identical to last season...however they've upgraded them this season and they no longer look like that. Other than that it was fine gameplay wise. I was dropping back to pass and fired to a wide open receiver and the pass wobbled inaccurately and got picked off. :( Lot of pressure too from the computer.

Played about 2 quarters but that's what I saw so far. It's alright. Not sure if it's worth a purchase though but it is a good time waster.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
NBA 2K load times are pretty small and the load screens have you setting your lineup and coaching strategies so you're doing something while the game is loading anyway. What more do you want from a load screen than something practical that actually matters in game?

Maybe you're talking about NBA Live, but if you are then you're doing NBA games wrong anyway.

I played a lot of myplayer so I didn't tweak lineup and the games would end quickly. So that long load time seemed longer, and came up much more often because myplayer games are short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad