Movies: Madame Web

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Just left the theater. If you aren’t insulted because you paid for a ticket expecting to see a real movie you will find this hilarious. I was laughing my ass off in the theater. It’s so bad it’s honestly unbelievable that something like this can get made and released in what is now the year of our lord 2024. Way more enjoyable than something like Morbius which is just so boring it hurts.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I saw a review that described the plot as the bad guy trying to kill three girls because he had a dream in which they killed him and Madame Web trying to stop them because she had a dream in which he kills them. :whaaa?:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I saw a review that described the plot as the bad guy trying to kill three girls because he had a dream in which they killed him and Madame Web trying to stop them because she had a dream in which he kills them. :whaaa?:
The movie won't make any sense to anyone that sees it. It is insanely surface level

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It's crazy that Sony green lights great movies like the animated ones with Miles Morales while simultaneously giving the green light for movies like Morbius and Madame Web.

The Venom movies are also trash but at least a person like Tom Hardy makes them somewhat watchable. There is no such thing in this movie.

Reactions: MMC

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's crazy that Sony green lights great movies like the animated ones with Miles Morales while simultaneously giving the green light for movies like Morbius and Madame Web.

The Venom movies are also trash but at least a person like Tom Hardy makes them somewhat watchable. There is no such thing in this movie.

Basically a modern version of this for movies if I had to guess. "Comic book universes are in! Lets make as many movies as we can!"

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
What I have heard from a few online reviewers is that this isn't even one of those so bad it's good type of movies. It's so bad it's bad with nothing enjoyable about it. They were saying Morbius had some fun bad moments but Madame Web, not so much.

Apparently there is little actual action in this movie with barely any fight scenes. The three young Spider-Women only appear in costumes near the very end of the movie. I have also heard the characters have zero personality and no character arcs. Their dialogue largely consists of exposition dumps throughout the movie.

As for the writers, how these guys continue to have jobs writing for big budget movies is beyond me. All their movies have been panned and outside of Dracula Untold, all of their movies have flopped at the theatre losing substantial amounts of money.

Their duds include The Last Witch Hunter, Gods of Egypt, Power Rangers and Morbius.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What I have heard from a few online reviewers is that this isn't even one of those so bad it's good type of movies. It's so bad it's bad with nothing enjoyable about it. They were saying Morbius had some fun bad moments but Madame Web, not so much.

Apparently there is little actual action in this movie with barely any fight scenes. The three young Spider-Women only appear in costumes near the very end of the movie. I have also heard the characters have zero personality and no character arcs. Their dialogue largely consists of exposition dumps throughout the movie.

As for the writers, how these guys continue to have jobs writing for big budget movies is beyond me. All their movies have been panned and outside of Dracula Untold, all of their movies have flopped at the theatre losing substantial amounts of money.

Their duds include The Last Witch Hunter, Gods of Egypt, Power Rangers and Morbius.
I was laughing just because the dialogue and editing are so bad it honestly feels unreal. I seriously don't think I can think of a worse movie I've seen in the movie theater.

There's definitely very little action in the movie. I definitely don't think this is a film that can be given the superhero genre. The 3 Spider-Women only wear their suits in 2 visions, the one the main villain has of them killing him, and then another one in the final scene of the movie, probably for less than a minute combined. Showing them in their suits in the advertising should be illegal. Absolutely nothing about this movies plotlines make any sense, nor is it ever explained at all. They never explain why the villain is a villain at all, why the spider-women want to kill them, how they become spider-women, or really anything else about the central characters.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bad actors + bad script + no real connection to Spider Man + skeptical attitude towards female led superhero movies = what did you think would happen?

Sep 19, 2008
Bad actors + bad script + no real connection to Spider Man + skeptical attitude towards female led superhero movies = what did you think would happen?
Audiences like

1708354824205.jpeg

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
You'd think that the lesson that Sony should've taken from Venom and Morbius is that you can make a nice profit off of a bad movie, but it has to involve a character that the general public has to actually care about first.

People like Venom. Nobody cares about Morbius (other than the meme) or Madame Web outside of small comic book circles.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Certainly not alleviating any skeptical attitudes of said female led superhero movies.

To be fair, I think that skepticism has bled over into just plain all superhero movies over the past couple years....

Last edited:

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007

They're just the best people for the job. It's that simple. Every job in Hollywood is based on merit.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They're just the best people for the job. It's that simple. Every job in Hollywood is based on merit.
They've written 5 movies and 25% is the highest RT critic score of the lot. The rest averaged 15%. To say that they were the best people for the job suggests that no one else could've done a better job.

writers.png
Not even the audience liked any but one, and only one (their first) actually made any money. These guys are clearly not continuing to get major writing jobs on the basis of merit.

Last edited:

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
They've written 5 movies and 25% is the highest RT critic of the lot. The rest averaged 15%. To say that they were the best people for the job suggests that no one else could've done a better job.

View attachment 823372
Not even the audience liked any but one, and only one (their first) actually made any money. These guys are clearly not continuing to get major writing jobs on the basis of merit.
I imagined you would have picked up on the clear bait that I put out there.

"The best person for the job" or something along those lines isn't a thing that's real in any field. I long for never hearing that phrase ever used when someone is announced for a movie but I know I will. Under certain circumstances at least.

All that being said, I can't believe anyone actually went to see this movie as it was a clear attempt at a money grab by Sony.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I imagined you would have picked up on the clear bait that I put out there.

"The best person for the job" or something along those lines isn't a thing that's real in any field. I long for never hearing that phrase ever used when someone is announced for a movie but I know I will. Under certain circumstances at least.

All that being said, I can't believe anyone actually went to see this movie as it was a clear attempt at a money grab by Sony.
I considered that you were being sarcastic, but I didn't want to laugh at it or ask if you were serious on the off chance that you were, so I just replied as if you were to see if you doubled down or not. I'm glad that you weren't serious.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmytheKing

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce