Movies: Madame Web

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The Madame Web you're talking about is Cassandra Webb, the original who was featured quite a bit in the '90s Spider-man animated series. The movie will centre around Julia Carpenter, the 2nd Madame Web and current (?) version in the 616 comics. I think she was originally a Jessica Drew Spider-woman replacement. I have a hard time keeping track of all the Spider-people.

Seems more like they're amalgamating the 2 versions of Madame Web into one
This movie is going to have both characters, Dakota Johnson is a Cassandra Webb, Sydney Sweeney is Julia Carpenter

Last edited:
Reactions: barriers

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This was directed by SJ Clarkson. She's a TV director. This is her first theatrical release. Previously she had been attached to Star Trek 4, but it never materialized.

It looks like a TV show honestly.

The reported budget is 80M. Which is very reasonable. A 200M box office would likely break even.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Had to look up Madame Web's powers after watching the trailer.
So it's clairvoyance, precognition, telephathy, astral projection...yep...definitely the powers of a spider.
Oh no, not telepathy. There are already 6,247 of telepaths in the X-verse.

This was directed by SJ Clarkson. She's a TV director. This is her first theatrical release. Previously she had been attached to Star Trek 4, but it never materialized.

It looks like a TV show honestly.

The reported budget is 80M. Which is very reasonable. A 200M box office would likely break even.
Everyone is attached to it for a week.

No need for it to happen. The Kelvin-Verse declined in fandom and it'll be nearly a decade by the time they get it out.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
She was featured in the Amazing Spider Man issues in the early 80's when I was buying every month off the rack. EXCELLENT two part story with Juggernaut, in ASM 229/230.

1700600356887.png

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The issue with this again is, who is this movie being targeted to? Most people 35-50 grew up with Julia Carpenter as Spider-Woman who was on the West Coast Avengers, and then there was Jessica Drew before that who was loosely associated with the X-Men.

The bad guy is from the J. Michael Strazynski Spider-Man run in the early 2000s.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The issue with this again is, who is this movie being targeted to? Most people 35-50 grew up with Julia Carpenter as Spider-Woman who was on the West Coast Avengers, and then there was Jessica Drew before that who was loosely associated with the X-Men.

The bad guy is from the J. Michael Strazynski Spider-Man run in the early 2000s.
People who want to look at Sydney Sweeney for 2 hours like myself

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
People who want to look at Sydney Sweeney for 2 hours like myself
She's not that big a star yet, and the character's history is confusing to anyone who isn't very familiar with the comics.

It's going to probably not even reach Morbius, The Flash, or The Marvels level.

Even Margot Robbie it took many many years from Wolf of Walstreet until Barbie.

Second to third tier superhero movies won't stand a chance until there's a break, Marvel finally does X-Men, and James Gunn redoes DC.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Even this guy, who usually tries to find something good in all Marvel movies, says it sucks...it seems to have been a good idea but so many changes were done while filming it is a total mess.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
This can't be surprising to anyone who saw the trailer, it looked absolutely dreadful and I'm usually pretty generous with most comic book movies as well.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Lots of people saying it's worse than Morbius. While that may be true since you at least get to look at Sydney Sweeney here I can't imagine it's less enjoyable even if that's the case

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Studios need to stop making feature films about deep cut characters without the character they're associated with.

Same deal with Kraven. If he's not burying Spider-Man alive, how is he going to gain heat with the audience?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Shouldn't surprise anyone. Trailers looked awful. Morbius was dreadful. Both Venom movies are "saved" by a few redeeming qualities but it still suffers from a lot of issues not least of which that they feel produced by the same people responsible for early 2000s superhero junk like Daredevil and Catwoman.

Outside of Spiderverse, which I'm convinced is produced by a totally different team than the people who work on the live action stuff, Sony Marvel is completely inept at making good superhero movies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lots of people saying it's worse than Morbius. While that may be true since you at least get to look at Sydney Sweeney here I can't imagine it's less enjoyable even if that's the case
If you need to bank on an attractive lead...I just don't think to me that's enough to move the needle from shit to less stinky turd. If Madam Web has, say, worse pacing, shittier writing, shittier dialogue, and worse action sequences than Morbius, I don't think "Sydney Sweeney wearing a leotard is hawt" is enough to make those issues forgivable.

Halle Berry was super attractive in Catwoman. Didn't help prevent it from being a steaming pile.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Studios need to stop making feature films about deep cut characters without the character they're associated with.

Same deal with Kraven. If he's not burying Spider-Man alive, how is he going to gain heat with the audience?

Sony needs to keep making movies about these characters every 2/3 years to retain their movie rights IIRC.. otherwise Marvel gets them back

BullyHockey

Dec 26, 2023

The Spider-Man 2 game nailed Kraven; Sony is not doing themselves any favors. Can't see that film living up that game which is so popular right now amongst just general fans.

Reactions: John Price

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I feel bad for the lead actresses. I don't think they knew what a mess they were getting into. There should be a good movie here, but it needs Spidey to anchor it, and needs to be made under Marvel's supervision.

I also think that Sony is poisoning the Spider-Verse with these live action movies. There is such great potential, if every project was given the love that the animated features receive.

I hate to admit that I'll probably go to the theater to watch this steaming pile, but I am a massive Spider-Nerd. At least no one will be kicking my seat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad