MacT's Moves, the Gifts that Keep On Giving

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Eakins also needs to be blamed as Eakins couldn't even coach an underwater hockey team, never mind an NHL team.

I wonder if the guy who hired him on a whim, and then did everything in his power to keep him employed might share in that blame. Any Eakins blame is also MacT blame.

he hired him, he kept him, he kept defending him.

That should have been a firing offense as well.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Assuming no buyouts by tomorrow morning.

$14.55 million will be tied up next year on Nikitin, Purcell, Ference and Scrivens.

That means that we'll have $11.3 million of expiring cap hits at seasons end. Brilliant job MacT, hopefully some other team is dumb enough to hire you as a GM.

This is what an impatient man does that brings impatience to the situation. I still laugh at how when he came in it was "I bring impatience to the situation." and "bold moves" and 2 years later he's like "this year will be a developmental year" and "I'm losing my credibility" lol.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Not for free but he would've taken Fayne's deal at 3-4 years. So for everyone that loves the Fayne signing ask yourselves if you would rather have Fayne or Petry?

Honestly, you have no clue what Petry would have accepted with the Oilers. Nobody does, because it didnt happen.

And, just like MacT, I wouldn't have given him the money last year either.... and neither would have Montreal.

I wish Montreal all the luck in the world with 5.5 M Petry. I think it could work out, but I dont think it would have worked out here.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
MacT's opinion or Petry was low partly because his soul mate in coaching Eakins wasn't a fan of his. How in the **** does MacT still have a job? Let's challenge a soon to be UFA who is disliked by his coach and who doesn't like his coach either? All while signing Fayne, Nikitin and Schultz to money that you won't give to him when he's the best of the 3. Good job MacTurd! :shakehead

Fayne and nikitin were necessary because Petrys camp wasn't interested in a long term extension.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
MacT:

The Good:
Acquiring Perron we were happy
Trading Perron for 16th + Klinkhammer (good value in hindsight) again we were happy
Signing Pouliot good
Signing Fayne good

The Bad:
Acquiring Purcell and his high cap hit contract (however, he's still a decent player. It's just the cap hit that's terrible) Everybody wanted Sam gone

The Ugly:
Giving up draft pick compensation in order to sign Nikitin to a high cap hit contract Everybody had a wait and see attitude towards this
Trading Dubnyk (Vezina finalist; #1 goalie on Minnesota) for Hendricks Everybody wanted Dubey gone
Trading Petry (Now the #3 defenseman on Montreal,) for late 2nd/3rd draft picks Yep...most people wanted this but a higher return
Signing Eakins and expressing his undying love for him This was a genuine mistake...flat out

I'm definitely missing a bunch more but these are the notable ones I could remember off the top of my head
If this was golfing, I would probably give him a +2 or +3. Not the worst GM but the bad/ugly still outweighed the good imo

My thoughts....I swear Mact's moves were based off him reading HF Oil.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Honestly, you have no clue what Petry would have accepted with the Oilers. Nobody does, because it didnt happen.

And, just like MacT, I wouldn't have given him the money last year either.... and neither would have Montreal.

I wish Montreal all the luck in the world with 5.5 M Petry. I think it could work out, but I dont think it would have worked out here.

I have more than a clue, I know more of the situation than you'd ever dream of knowing.

Well then just like MacT your player evaluation skills are poor. That said what would you expect of someone that likes a boring brand of hockey like MacT does?

Fayne and nikitin were necessary because Petrys camp wasn't interested in a long term extension.

BS. Petry's camp wanted term and MacT didn't.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have more than a clue, I know more of the situation than you'd ever dream of knowing.

Well then just like MacT your player evaluation skills are poor. That said what would you expect of someone that likes a boring brand of hockey like MacT does?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe your 'source' isn't always right 100% of the time? Especially about private conversations between a GM and a player?

In any event if you really are so all knowing dont you think a little humility is prudent?

Just saying.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

Petry had to play over his head as he shouldn't have been a #1 pairing but had to play that pairing. Montreal won't be using him as a #1 but a #3 and that's more where he should be.

Some questions that need answering:

-Is Petry worth $5.5M per season?
-Is Marincin so good that some people are whining that he was traded?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Did it ever occur to you that maybe your 'source' isn't always right 100% of the time? Especially about private conversations between a GM and a player?

In any event if you really are so all knowing dont you think a little humility is prudent?

Just saying.

I have knowledge that I cannot share and I am not backing off of this statement regardless of how it may sound. MacT ****ed the Petry situation up badly, Petry wanted to stay and wanted term at a reasonable rate and MacT would have none of it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Petry had to play over his head as he shouldn't have been a #1 pairing but had to play that pairing. Montreal won't be using him as a #1 but a #3 and that's more where he should be.

Some questions that need answering:

-Is Petry worth $5.5M per season?
-Is Marincin so good that some people are whining that he was traded?

Petry wasn't asking for $5.5 million last summer, not even close to it.

As for Marincin, I think that he's overrated but time will tell that story one way or another.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I have knowledge that I cannot share and I am not backing off of this statement regardless of how it may sound. MacT ****ed the Petry situation up badly, Petry wanted to stay and wanted term at a reasonable rate and MacT would have none of it.
What did MacT see in Eakins anyways. Was Eakins the reason Petry didn't want to sign in Edmonton. I sent you a PM.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What did MacT see in Eakins anyways. Was Eakins the reason Petry didn't want to sign in Edmonton. I sent you a PM.

One of the reasons, the other main reason was watching inferior players cash in while he was deemed unworthy of a 3+ year deal by MacT.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
MacT:

The Good:
Acquiring Perron
Trading Perron for 16th + Klinkhammer (good value in hindsight)
Signing Pouliot
Signing Fayne

The Bad:
Acquiring Purcell and his high cap hit contract (however, he's still a decent player. It's just the cap hit that's terrible)

The Ugly:
Giving up draft pick compensation in order to sign Nikitin to a high cap hit contract
Trading Dubnyk (Vezina finalist; #1 goalie on Minnesota) for Hendricks
Trading Petry (Now the #3 defenseman on Montreal,) for late 2nd/3rd draft picks
Signing Eakins and expressing his undying love for him

I'm definitely missing a bunch more but these are the notable ones I could remember off the top of my head
If this was golfing, I would probably give him a +2 or +3. Not the worst GM but the bad/ugly still outweighed the good imo

not getting an actual NHL center (Roy) until it was too late was one of his biggest mistakes IMO

instead he handed it to an 18 year old rookie...and went about as well as we all thought it would

we had 2 NHL centers to start last season...2 (RNH and Gordon)

you cannot win in today's NHL with that paper-thin depth at the most important forward position

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Part of the Petry vs Mact Problem was--leading up to the signing of the slug Nikiten--Mact was telling the Petry camp the oilers can not pay 4 to 5 million for a D man. Petry wanted to sign but not at the money the oilers were offering (there were offering something like 3.5 a year or something) and then when they signed Nikiten--that was the ball game. Oilers were two faced in dealing with Petry

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Part of the Petry vs Mact Problem was--leading up to the signing of the slug Nikiten--Mact was telling the Petry camp the oilers can not pay 4 to 5 million for a D man. Petry wanted to sign but not at the money the oilers were offering (there were offering something like 3.5 a year or something) and then when they signed Nikiten--that was the ball game. Oilers were two faced in dealing with Petry
This is how I assumed it went down. To me it came down to a Mac T guy vs a Tamby guy thing again. The money wasn't going to be there for guys left over from the Tamby regime but it wouldn't be an issue for anybody he wanted to bring in. The guy was so blinded in his belief that Tambellini knew absolutely nothing about how to do that job and that he himself was brilliant. He couldn't get rid of Tambellini's players fast enough for guys who were no better, just more expensive.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

The details are pretty sketchy depending on which source you want to believe but I'm fairly confident this was playing in the background when their eyes met...

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Ference

Nikitin

Purcell (via Gagner's bloated contract given out by MacT)

Between the 3 of them that is $12.25 million or 17.16% of the salary cap and among them there is one semi useful player in Purcell.

It really is amazing that this guy still has a job here. Literally unless he is here because whatever he says you do the opposite of it makes no sense that he's still employed with this organization.

BB:

In 8 years we had 1 D that gave up less than 52.00 CA/60.

Tarnstrom 07-08 fro 38 gm 51.78 CA/60 versus 3rd comp
38 of 3722 D man games.

Most of our D was 55.00+ CA/60

Ference is a 62.16 CA/60 D
he needs to go.

Nikitin
W/ Fayne 1st comp 52.75
w/ J. schultz 3rd comp 60.13
W/ Petry 2nd comp 54.97
w/ Ference 2nd comp 53.01

he was 50.95 against 2nd comp in CBJ.

I have repeatedly stated our Right side with Schultz and petry was an interstate to our goal.

Plus looking at the Ca/60 to EVGA/60 curves for our goalies.
Scrivens EVGA is .50EVG/60 higher than Talbots for any any given Ca/60.

Fayne in NJ 1st comp 41.62
Sekera 1st Comp 50.50
Klefbom 2nd comp 54.40 but sub 50 w/ a decent NHL d
Nikitin 2nd comp 50.95
Gryba 2nd comp 51.20
Nurse 2 games 45.38
Reinhart 3 gm wit a NHL D. 3rd comp 44.03
---------------------------------------------------
Schultz 3rd comp 54.40
first 2 seasons 63.95
Ference 1st/2nd 62.16

Here are some D for reference.
Hjarlmasson 1st comp 47.47
Oduya 1st comp 48.47
Keith 2nd comp 50.38
Seabrook 2nd comp 56.19
Leddy 3rd comp 46.32

Chara 1st comp 48.61
Hamilton 1st comp 49.21
Boychuk 2nd comp 51.81

Muzzin 1st comp 42.19
Doughty 1st comp 45.24
Voyonov 2nd comp 48.65
Reghr 2nd comp 50.58
Mitchell 2nd comp 48.79
martinez 3rd comp 42.39
M. Greene 3rd comp 46.63

A greene 1st comp 45.41
37.36 w/ Fayne
Larsson 2nd comp 45.35

Hedmann 1st comp 49.28
Stralmann 1st/2nd comp 46.23

Pietrangelo 1st comp 49.03
Bouwmeester 1st/2nd comp 53.60
Shattenkirk 2nd 45.15
Jackmann 2nd 48.24
Gunnarson 2nd/3rd 51.92

Enstrom 49.80
Chariot 50.50
Byfuglien 56.89

Phanuef 1st comp 67.89
Franson 60.52
Gardiner 57.56
Rielly 63.72

Sub 50.00 D get you into champoinship games.

55.00+ get you in the Lottery.

Though the elite Ca/60 Vs EVGA/60 goalie can get a lottery CA/60 D in the playoffs.
2 of the 5 best goalie Ca/60 curves are Hiller; Talbot.

MacT brought in:
Ference (macT did not understand diminishing Production concept)
Gordon
Fayne
Pouliot
Nikitin
Purcell for Gagner
purcell's reults are way better away from Yakupov the boat anchor!
Drafted nurse

This year Chiarelli completed the building of a sub 52.00 d set.
And added one of the 5 best Ca/60 goalies.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Do fans actually look at term? Jesus, we only have to wait a year. People make it sound like we have David Clarkson on the team.

This is a lousy way to look at it if you ask me. You plan a team and its' cap management for a variety of reasons. On of them is to be able to act at any point in time to better your club. Will some of these deals be off the books next year? Yup, and we will have more cap space. In the meantime at this trade deadline or before the season we get the opportunity to get a higher end player or extend a player. Oh wait....we can't do anything big until next year when the lousy contracts come off the books.

Cap compliancy is not all about just being under the cap at any given time, it is also about having flexibility to make moves almost any time you want to and as a young team with some entry level deals and a history or being a non playoff team there is no excuse for being squeezed even for one year.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
you are consistent

No real facts!

Petry was 58.39 Ca/60 last 3 years.

that is bottom lottery D.

Are you properly taking into account zone starts and QoC? Most of our good players had better CA with Petry than without him. Last season, adjusted for zone starts Hall/Ebs/Nuge are all pushing 60 CA/60 without Petry last season, but 53 or below with him. Ference was significantly worse without Petry and Petry was significantly better without Ference. Ference was a significant drag on Petry's CA and Petry has had to play with someone like that for a long time, as well as always drawing the hard matchups and zone starts. Just looking at his raw CA/60 is very unfair given the circumstances.

Also, your sample size for Nikitin/Petry playing together is so tiny, it's barely worth bringing up, and not sure about how you're calculating QoC. Nikitin played half his minutes with Fayne last year and you're saying those were all against 1st line comp? I have to question that...I don't remember Nikitin getting that kind of trust consistently from the coaches.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
This is how I assumed it went down. To me it came down to a Mac T guy vs a Tamby guy thing again. The money wasn't going to be there for guys left over from the Tamby regime but it wouldn't be an issue for anybody he wanted to bring in. The guy was so blinded in his belief that Tambellini knew absolutely nothing about how to do that job and that he himself was brilliant. He couldn't get rid of Tambellini's players fast enough for guys who were no better, just more expensive.

Yep. Jshark nailed it.

I think mact intended, from day 1, to change out the entire lineup (save the precious core)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad