MacT's Moves, the Gifts that Keep On Giving

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
All the cap space opening next year will be a blessing in disguise.

Good thing neither Lowe nor MacT run the team or else we'd get "Golly, we sure have a lot of cap space. I'm not sure what to do with it" statements

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Good thing neither Lowe nor MacT run the team or else we'd get "Golly, we sure have a lot of cap space. I'm not sure what to do with it" statements

Not only that, they probably wud hav just straight up blown it. Just give it some Nikitin II.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They'd have spent it as fast as they could just to make it look like they were doing something. Plan be damned. That's what happened in the summer of 2006 and last summer too. Pretty much the last two off seasons where this team had both cap room and a willingness to spend it.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I have more than a clue, I know more of the situation than you'd ever dream of knowing.

Well then just like MacT your player evaluation skills are poor. That said what would you expect of someone that likes a boring brand of hockey like MacT does?

BS. Petry's camp wanted term and MacT didn't.

Unless the signature is to the paper, you have no idea.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
If we still had Petry and didn't have Ference or Nikitin:

Sekera-Petry
Schultz-Klefbom
Reinhart-Fayne
(I don't care who plays what side, just throwing it together)

Its still amazing that MacT went and got two guys who were NOT top four D on their previous teams but thought he could drop them into those roles on the worst defensive club in the NHL and they'd be fine. Unbelievable.

Then again, this is the guy that claimed Schultz was, 'developing through failure' as if they actually planned it like that.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
MacT:

The Good:
Acquiring Perron
Trading Perron for 16th + Klinkhammer (good value in hindsight)
Signing Pouliot
Signing Fayne

The Bad:
Acquiring Purcell and his high cap hit contract (however, he's still a decent player. It's just the cap hit that's terrible)

The Ugly:
Giving up draft pick compensation in order to sign Nikitin to a high cap hit contract
Trading Dubnyk (Vezina finalist; #1 goalie on Minnesota) for Hendricks
Trading Petry (Now the #3 defenseman on Montreal,) for late 2nd/3rd draft picks
Signing Eakins and expressing his undying love for him

I'm definitely missing a bunch more but these are the notable ones I could remember off the top of my head
If this was golfing, I would probably give him a +2 or +3. Not the worst GM but the bad/ugly still outweighed the good imo

Your post takes a measured approach. There were good and bad moves during MacT's tenure. I think more good than bad, actually. At the time, the Dubnyk for Hendricks move looked like a genuine steal.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
People seem pretty positive about the Fayne signing but that's still up in the air for me. Right now I don't think he's worth 3.65 for 3 more seasons, but his signing is certainly not Ference/Nikitin level of bad.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Nice cherry picking, but MacT's moves were as good as he could make at the time.

Even if that isnt the conventional wisdom on this board.
At the time? The timing of his trades is what makes him such an idiot.

In case you forgot, in Krueger's 1 year here key players like RNH, Ganer, Hall, Eberle, Dubnyk, Yakupov etc were developing very well.

Enter idiot MacT with his plan to ride this team to glory, he just needed to use his own coach to make it look like the development of these kids into winners happened because of him.

Lo and behold the team sucked under the new coach. To say that any of the rookies plateaued would be a compliment. Development of every key asset in the org stalled or regressed, and super-idiot MacT just started selling them off instead of admitting his coaching hire was a mistake.

Instead of having a vezina contender for a goalie we have some wannabes trying to establish themselves. That's 100% on MacT and he didn't do the best he could at the time, he did the absolute worst he could at the time.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^this! not many people i know would stay with their employer if they were demoted.

They might if they're on a salary of over a million dollars and know they will never see that kind of payday again.

Well...it could be worse. Clarkson could have taken MacT's offer.

They might if they knew nobody else would hire them.

this. Lowe and Mact both know this is their last NHL employer
as an aside, I'm not sure if I'll ever get tired of dissing/b----ing about the Lowe/Mact years. I know its warped, but I enjoying talking about it.

^can't say i disagree with any of this.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I liked Petry, but I think he made off like a bandit as a FA:

Jeff Petry: 15-16 7M $, 16-17 7M$, 17-18 6M$, 18-19 5M$, 19-20 4M$, 20-21 4M$ (no trade)

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
People seem pretty positive about the Fayne signing but that's still up in the air for me. Right now I don't think he's worth 3.65 for 3 more seasons, but his signing is certainly not Ference/Nikitin level of bad.

I'm with you.
Not ridiculous but definitely an over pay on money and term.
To my eye, anyway.
Eakins factor though...

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Great guy, but Nilsson outplayed him. The right decision.

I'm glad to see management willing to cut big contract players and not keep them around just because of what the team is paying them. That said, Nikitin and Scrivens were MacT signings. I hope in the future, management is willing to do the same to players that Chia signs or trades for.

I continue to be surprised that MacT remains with the organization. Other than one good draft, his moves have been mostly terrible, and who knows who is responsible for that draft.

MacT's top 10 worst 'calls':

1) Eakins,
2) Calling out Dubnyk then letting him lose
3) Nikitin
4) Ference
5) Scrivens and Fasth acquisitions
6) Taking on the Purcell contract for Gagner
7) Schultz has Norris Potential
8) The 2014 Draft after Draisaitl
9) Cutting Petry lose
10) Lander on waivers??? Seriously??

Ad