News Article: MacT gets into shouting match with fan, insists success is coming

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Kreuger had a record of 19-22 with a worse team and no TC not to mention very few practices in a compressed schedule. His PK and PP were in the top half of the league. All this while only playing against the tougher WC. How anyone can deny he was a better coach than Eakins has been so far boggles my mind.

Kreuger already spent the previous two seasons as associate coach. It's not like he came in cold and didn't know the players. Kreuger's Oilers were the worst 5 on 5 team in the NHL since the last CBA. How anybody can defend that he was a good coach boggles my mind.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Also I should say I'm not surprised to hear Kreuger got phone calls after he was fired. I liked him as Renney's associate coach and I was disappointed when Renney was fired. You notice that nobody has called Kreuger about any vacant head coach jobs though? Wonder why that is.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
We shouldn't forget that MacT also offered Clarkson an even worse contract than he accepted.

Pierre LeBrun assumption at the time. No one knows for sure except Clarkson and the Oil.

All that was said for sure is Clarkson said the Oilers made it difficult to turn down..Didn't necessarily mean more money per year.

Just the media and some fans jumping to conclusions, as usual.

Sloth Slothersons*

Pierre LeBrun assumption at the time. No one knows for sure except Clarkson and the Oil.

All that was said for sure is Clarkson said the Oilers made it difficult to turn down..Didn't necessarily mean more money per year.

Just the media and some fans jumping to conclusions, as usual.

No, we definitely offered more money.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Kreuger already spent the previous two seasons as associate coach. It's not like he came in cold and didn't know the players. Kreuger's Oilers were the worst 5 on 5 team in the NHL since the last CBA. How anybody can defend that he was a good coach boggles my mind.

I dont think people are defending him they are saying regarding Kreuger:

1. He was better than Eakins.
2. Things were improving i.e. PK PP and im sure the 5x5 would be better this year.
3. Hes apparently smart enough for Babcock to want him and Renney for the RedWings/Team Canada.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
This seems too crazy to be true. Got proof?

I read it during a twitter conversation sometime yesterday or today. I'm trying to remember who made the claim (it was posted with a link, I was on my phone and didn't read it).

Keep in mind I'm talking from a corsi stand point, I don't know how you feel about that.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I read it during a twitter conversation sometime yesterday or today. I'm trying to remember who made the claim (it was posted with a link, I was on my phone and didn't read it).

Keep in mind I'm talking from a corsi stand point, I don't know how you feel about that.

Extra skater site gives corsi ratings by team for this year and last. Toronto was still worse than us in 5 on 5 and 5 on 5 close last year. Maybe numbers were massaged eliminating some situations to argue the Oilers were actually worse? Them are the hazards being a poor team playing on vs the west I suppose. This year with a better and healthier team no doubt we are around the same numbers only counting our games vs the west. Eakins numbers with his bad team are elevated by getting to play the east and eastern teams get more pain with more games vs the west and we're still 4th from the bottom in both categories.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yeah it might have been ExtraSkater that was referenced. Maybe not the worst, but one of the worst anyway.

Okay, but you could probably take Corsi with a grain of salt, considering that our collapse defence and toedrag offence both inflated shots against and deflated shots for. Proficiency on the PP meant there times we could get lethargic 5-on-5.

I'll settle for "one of the worst", though. Krueger made the best of a bad lineup. Something MacT used to excel at as a coach.

Oct 15, 2008
Feel free to point out anywhere that I've said that 4v5 and 5v4 that Eakins was doing a better job.

On the contrary, you are trying to represent that Dubnyk's "bad goals" are the reason for poor 5v5 numbers this year under Eakins, which is funny because you started out stating that the Oilers were better 5v5, which is funny because you still seem to be holding onto that by a unicorn hair with your reasoning being that Doobie lets in bad goals.

Apparently the bad goals are only 5v5, as to effect the goal diff, which doesnt seem to jibe with the Corsi, which you seem to put more stock into rather than actual GF/GA when deciding if the team is better/worse under Eakins as opposed to Krueger.

Also of note, one must also assume that the bad Doobie goals are a recent phenomena as Krueger must not have suffered the same bad Doobage, or his 5v5 numbers would also likely be affected.

Do you have any evidence that the bad goals are happening 5v5 vs 4v5 or 5v4?

Fact of the matter is you are trying, although not very successfully to propagate the myth that the Oilers are a better 5v5 team this year. They simply are not. And its going to get worse, not better.

In fact it has gotten worse, not better. Bryzgalov has an almost identical Sv% as Doobie since his arrival. And here you would have us believe it is Doobie's fault? The team is 3-5-2 in its last ten games. Where is the improvement since we have been spared the wrath of bad Doobie goals?

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
No, we definitely offered more money.

No, they didn't.

Yes, they did. End of discussion.

I'd be impressed if a single one of you provided some 100% concrete proof to back up your claims.

Nothing personal, I just find it annoying how often people on here post theories as absolute fact without even attempting to back them up. I'm familiar with the Clarkson offer rumours, but whether they are true or not posts like this just take the board further and further away from quality hockey discussion.

Factual evidence, go!

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Kruegers team was built on special teams and was never going to last. I'm pretty sure they lost what, 10 out of the last 13 to close out the season? I think Eakins will prove to be better, but I'm seriously re-thinking that.

Deus

Jul 28, 2011
I'd be impressed if a single one of you provided some 100% concrete proof to back up your claims.

Nothing personal, I just find it annoying how often people on here post theories as absolute fact without even attempting to back them up. I'm familiar with the Clarkson offer rumours, but whether they are true or not posts like this just take the board further and further away from quality hockey discussion.

Factual evidence, go!

A number of insiders said MacT offered more for Clarkson than the Leafs did. That's the closest thing to factual evidence you'll get.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Kruegers team was built on special teams and was never going to last. I'm pretty sure they lost what, 10 out of the last 13 to close out the season? I think Eakins will prove to be better, but I'm seriously re-thinking that.

I'm willing to give Kreuger's pp ability a little bit of slack because the breakdown happened at the end of the season where they stop calling penalties.

The simple truth is that the Kreugers and the Renneys can play to the strengths of these skilled pansies and squeek out some extra wins. However, when the **** gets difficult or the PPs stop coming, there is no amount of babying that can help these guys. I believe Eakins was brought in to be the hardass that teaches these guys work ethic, two-way play, and an aggressive gameplan. Problem is the players have too many bad habits, too much money, and no history of winning mentors. I'm beginning to think no one could get through to them anymore. Eakins obviously can't at the moment.

AssistantCaptain*

A number of insiders said MacT offered more for Clarkson than the Leafs did. That's the closest thing to factual evidence you'll get.
Well one could always apply some logic. He was born in Etobicoke, played for the Kitchener Rangers and grew up a die hard Leafs fan. To think that we offered the same amount is beyond stupid if especially since we were in the running til the end.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Nicely put. MacT has done some good but his negatives outweigh the positives .

Pros
Peron
Gordon
Ference
Belov
Gazdic
Trading Horc and actually getting a return without retaining salary

Cons
Garbagkov
Firing Krueger
Joensuu
Trading Smid for magic beans
MacT also offered Clarkson a Horcoff esq contract

The biggest most perpetual mistake/con/negative of them all

Hiring Eakins

Let's get this straight! He fired a rookie coach and replaces him with another rookie coach! *How **** **** is that?
*in turn Eakins made collateral damage
- Stunting Schultz/Yakupov/Gagner/Arco
-Destroying both the PK/PP
-5v5 is at best just as poor as it was under Krueger.

As an Oilers fan you should be used to tanking by now. The guys you mentioned were clearly holding back the Oilers from another successful year at the Draft, and having Eakins only reinforces it, heh.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Nicely put. MacT has done some good but his negatives outweigh the positives .

Pros
Peron
Gordon
Ference
Belov
Gazdic
Trading Horc and actually getting a return without retaining salary

Cons
Garbagkov
Firing Krueger
Joensuu

His negatives outweigh the positives if you really reach on some of the cons. Gebsehkov was depth signing that ultimately cost the team nothing but money. Joensuu was move the was widely applauded as a way to add some size to the lineup. Both are minor, low risk moves that didn't really pan out (unlike the Belov and Arcobello moves), but those are the kind of moves have the GMs in the league make on a regular basis. If you're going to knock him for those moves, credit him for turning the Mike Brown trade into a wash and for ditching Labrabera when it was clear that was a bad fit.

IMO, MacT made two, maybe three major blunders. Clarkson, Smid and Eakins (if you lean that way; I'm on the fence).

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
His negatives outweigh the positives if you really reach on some of the cons. Gebsehkov was depth signing that ultimately cost the team nothing but money. Joensuu was move the was widely applauded as a way to add some size to the lineup. Both are minor, low risk moves that didn't really pan out (unlike the Belov and Arcobello moves), but those are the kind of moves have the GMs in the league make on a regular basis. If you're going to knock him for those moves, credit him for turning the Mike Brown trade into a wash and for ditching Labrabera when it was clear that was a bad fit.

IMO, MacT made two, maybe three major blunders. Clarkson, Smid and Eakins (if you lean that way; I'm on the fence).

They had to trade smid to get cap room to go after the goalie so no the Grebs move was not 'oh just money' and with a team like the oilers no mover is low risk oh well it didn't pan out.

Everyone and their dog thought the Grebs move was foolish from minute one, the jonesu move did not work out but hey isn't that the object of the game for these moves to work out? his off season is actually as bad as Tambo off season move as far as ancilliary players are concerned.

Grebs - very dumb move, the guy was playing horrible in russia so mact remembers that he liked him 5 years ago.
Jonesu - he is just what the islanders fans said he was.
Larseen - garbage
Lolberara - Joke move, no he gets no huge pat on the back for dumping a guy he went out to be the back up.

Perron was a decent move though we haven't finished paying for him yet and that 2nd rounder is going to be a high 2nd rounder.

The Gordon move was a good move. This guy has been as advertised.

The biggest need for this team this year, last year, the year before, the year before, the year before... has been a decent Dman with size that can move the puck and a decent top 6 forward with size.

Of all his moves his boldest one though was his worst mover by a lot, that being a coaching change when there was no need at all for one at that time. If he loved Eakins then he should have stuck to the plan, hired the guy as an associate and watched him for a year or so and then he'd have his guy ready to go when he canned Krueger if Krueger failed.

MacT has made some poor moves and made some rookie moves and there was no reason in the world to have a rookie GM with 1/2 of a year of front office experience take the reigns of this team. Kevin Lowe rides again!

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

I seem to recall we were decimated by injuries at center. And Tambo waited until the last minute to bring in reinforcements. Smithson anyone?

Also we managed to claw our way into a playoff spot for one glorious day.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
Cons
Garbagkov
Firing Krueger
Joensuu

The biggest most perpetual mistake/con/negative of them all

Hiring Eakins

Let's get this straight! He fired a rookie coach and replaces him with another rookie coach! *How **** **** is that?
*in turn Eakins made collateral damage
- Stunting Schultz/Yakupov/Gagner/Arco
-Destroying both the PK/PP
-5v5 is at best just as poor as it was under Krueger.

Cons
Garbagkov -not sure what the damage is here, it was worth a chance and good for depth
Firing Krueger -debatable & too early too tell, IMO
Joensuu -not sure what the damage is here, it was worth a chance and good for depth
Trading Smid for magic beans - too early to tell
MacT also offered Clarkson a Horcoff esq contract - speculation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad