News Article: MacT gets into shouting match with fan, insists success is coming

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
EDMONTON - Craig MacTavish knows better. But the GM of the Edmonton Oilers managed to get himself in a shouting session with a fan outside the Oilers dressing room Tuesday night.

“Ah, the usual stuff, I’d just had enough,” said the former player, coach and first-year general manager of the short-lived shouting session.

“It was not a good night to have it,” MacTavish added of the incident after a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues.

While the GM watched the game in the press box, he entered the dressing room from the front near where the players return from the ice.

It’s amazing there have been so few incidents in the area. The Oilers are the only team in pro sports that effectively has to walk through a bar six times a game to get on and off the ice.

“It’s not a good setup under the current circumstances,” said MacTavish, who walked the gauntlet as an Oilers glory gang player and eight seasons as the head coach.

More at-
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/...ting-match-with-fan-insists-success-is-coming

:laugh:

Last edited:

Terrifyer

Oct 9, 2013
The headline was about a shouting match. The first sentence was dedicated to that, the rest was an interview with Mac T, and nothing to do about the incident. Holy christ, the media in this city is absolutely spineless and pathetic.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Insists success is coming? Anything is more successful than what we are seeing now. So, he is absolutely correct. Eventually someday it will move out of absolute failure (I hope).

This tension with fans at Rexall is great. Something actually somewhat entertaining!

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Gotta respect the fan for saying something to MacT's face. Someone has to humble these losers in management and none of them are going to listen any other way. Too bad Lowe wasn't there with MacT. If this fan rattled MacT hard enough to get him yelling Lowe might have literally exploded.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Makes me wonder if we'll see the same close fan access to the players/dressing room in the new Arena.

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008
Ah!!! Edmonton Sports Media at its finest. Misleading title, with no substance, but a guarantee that after (insert any player, coach, gm) is chased out of town they'll write piece absolutely bashing them.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
nice tag team boys, Lowe goes after the tier 2's, Mac-T takes on the tier 1's...next, they will send Joey Moss after the media??

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
@fatterryjones leaves a little to be desired in that story. Are we sure it wasn't just Jason Chimera?

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I'll take away a few positives, sounds like he's working hard to find the right deal, and he understands that we need size on the roster. I'm not like most on here, and I like how MacT has been so far. He's a ton pro-active (rather than non-active, like Tambo). He's made a great move, ok moves, and a couple questionable/bad moves. The fact that's he's looking for size, and unhappy himself shows a few things.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
What keeps on bothering me is that MacT and Eakins goes on about these improvements they see but they don't really give any hard evidence. MacT says he sees development, that "We’re seeing core players becoming much more competitive in difficult match-ups." But where is the hard evidence? This Bagdad Bob style of just saying "this is the way it is" and then hope people will just eat it up isn't working anymore. What are MacT and Eakins seeing that the fans are missing? They are basically claiming they know hockey at a level the fans could never understand. And sure while they're likely more knowledgeable than the average fan, to believe you're outsmarting every hockey fan in a hockey crazy town like Edmonton is plain arrogance.
A truly knowledgeable person knows there's always someone out there who is smarter.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Team record of the previous four seasons: 30th, 30th, 29th and 24th. It looks like this year will be another finish in the 26th-to-30th range. How does Lowe keep his job? Where is the accountability when it comes to Kevin Lowe? Head coaches keep getting axed, a couple new GMs in that time span, and we're still getting nowhere. Lowe is in a position to overlook those positions and if they fail it also falls on him because he's the one who has a huge say in who's hired in those roles. Unbelievable; this organization is such a ****ing joke.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
All that ****-talking about Tambo on his way out, and he'll end up with a worse record than any of Tambo's years with his first season as a "bold" general manager. Now he's getting into it with fans.

I'd feel bad for Mact if I didn't dislike him so much :laugh:

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Not that I'm defending Terry Jones here, but it says if the first Mac T quote "just the usual stuff" - so either TJ wasn't present for it & MacT wasn't willing to go into it, or it probably wasn't stuff you can print in the newspaper...

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Doesn't sound like much. How I wish this team was in a state where stuff like this would make major headlines :baghead:

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
at least the reporter is realizing this team needs some size to be able to compete with bigger Western conference teams like the Sharks, Blues, Ducks and Kings....i am worried that MacT doesn't get this and that he'd trade Gagner and acquire another 5'9" player to compliment Arco! :baghead::baghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad