Maclean's coaching

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
At the end of the day more money = more talent

More talent = more wins

Right now Ottawa is 21st overall spending the 26th most.

If Ottawa was 10th in payroll they could be 5th overall

or they could be last.

I'd love to write a long-winded post about how it's really not at all melnyk's fault but i've done it many times already and no one cares.

basically i agree with BankStreet.

The Fuhr*

or they could be last.

I'd love to write a long-winded post about how it's really not at all melnyk's fault but i've done it many times already and no one cares.

basically i agree with BankStreet.

NHL Standings (Beside the team is how much cap space they have available to them)
Anahiem - 6.0
Chicago - 495K
Pittsburgh - 1.1
St.Louis - 852K
Colorado - 34.4
SanJose - 1.3
Boston - 1.6
Tampa Bay - 3.8
Toronto - 1.6

Other then Colorado who are loaded with talent on ELC... Every other team in the top 10 is close to the cap.

Ottawa is 21st overall and has access to 22.4 million in available space.
http://www.capgeek.com

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
So you don't see any connection between continuing to play Andy to allow him to work himself out of his slump, and Andy playing well from Dec 1st forward?

If I played on this team I would be accountable for my own play. However, being forced to play me because I am cheap is on the budget, and the decision to keep me even though I completely suck is on the GM. In other words, holding players accountable is a different process from the decisions made about which players to keep or how the roster is organized.

Sens player x plays horrible during a 10 game stretch, (can be a defenseman, forward or goalie). What you're saying is, since melnyk is now a conservative spender and doesn't want the GM to trade to add talent (money in this case) to the team, that mac is forced to play player x 19/20+ min a game or if its a goalie just keep feeding him starts.

Who forced him to sit cowen when he was horrendous? Or sit boro/wiercioch/... ect. No one is forcing Mac to play poorly perfoming players beyond an acceptable threshold or play a certain way. Unless the budget has taken his ability of scratching players away or time management then I could forgive him. He is a core problem of this team losing.

Do I want him fired? No. Its just something I'm pointing out.

OP creates post about poor coaching...90% of thread is about salary cap issues with the owner and player acquisition by the GM...

I love this place.

Guess thats why we have mods....

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
NHL Standings (Beside the team is how much cap space they have available to them)
Anahiem - 6.0
Chicago - 495K
Pittsburgh - 1.1
St.Louis - 852K
Colorado - 34.4
SanJose - 1.3
Boston - 1.6
Tampa Bay - 3.8
Toronto - 1.6

Other then Colorado who are loaded with talent on ELC... Every other team in the top 10 is close to the cap.

I don't understand this line of thinking, haven't the rangers always tried throwing money at their problems?

Before this team adds anything we should have a core that should be able to perform at a respectable level. i.e make the playoffs consistently off the backs of the young players. Throwing money at random imaginary complementary players isn't the way you build a contender. If you overpay some scrubs all that happens are budget problems down the road when you are trying to lockup one of your blue chippers (zibanejad) or stars (ryan) ect.

Spend a bunch of money to have a support cast get us into the playoffs and beyond. Flawed and sounds like a perennial loser's way of building a team.

Last edited:

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
If we could spend to the cap we would have been able to resign Alfie and still deal for Ryan. Alfie alone resigning would have this team in a playoff spot today. Having the ability to spend to the cap also allows you to trade picks for players since you can take on their salary. You think teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston and LA would have won the cup on a small internal budget like we have? Another big factor about being able to spend to the cap is being able to lock up your key stars on this team to affordable deals while still being able to improve your team through trades/free agency.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If we could spend to the cap we would have been able to resign Alfie and still deal for Ryan. Alfie alone resigning would have this team in a playoff spot today. Having the ability to spend to the cap also allows you to trade picks for players since you can take on their salary. You think teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston and LA would have won the cup on a small internal budget like we have? Another big factor about being able to spend to the cap is being able to lock up your key stars on this team to affordable deals while still being able to improve your team through trades/free agency.

There is no way to know this. You can assume or make an argument that Alfie might have been the spark the team needed not to spiral out of control in the first third of the season, but you're declaring the hypothetical to be true when it is impossible to prove one way or the other.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anahiem - 6.0
Chicago - 495K
Pittsburgh - 1.1
St.Louis - 852K
Colorado - 34.4
SanJose - 1.3
Boston - 1.6
Tampa Bay - 3.8
Toronto - 1.6

And the common theme of those teams is they developed their core players and paid to keep them rather than spend money to try and get talent. Sure there was some additions from free agency, but for the most part those teams all became good by retaining good players and developing their picks. The money they are spending is the result of having a good team, not the other way around.

The Fuhr*

I don't understand this line of thinking, haven't the rangers always tried throwing money at their problems?

Before this team adds anything we should have a core that should be able to perform at a respectable level. i.e make the playoffs consistently off the backs of the young players. Throwing money at random imaginary complementary players isn't the way you build a contender. If you overpay some scrubs all that happens are budget problems down the road when you are trying to lockup one of your blue chippers (zibanejad) or stars (ryan) ect.

Spend a bunch of money to have a support cast get us into the playoffs and beyond. Flawed and sounds like a perennial loser's way of building a team.

Just because teams like the Rangers are garbage at spending money does not make spending money not important.

Ottawas goal should be to win the cup... To do that have to go through Pittsburgh and Boston... They spend to the cap and stack their teams.

Basically we have to beat them spending significantly less in order to win the cup...

If the team spent more money... The depth would be stronger and the Sens would be able to compete with them... The team would then win more games by being better and thus would be higher in the standings.

Money is important

The Fuhr*

And the common theme of those teams is they developed their core players and paid to keep them rather than spend money to try and get talent. Sure there was some additions from free agency, but for the most part those teams all became good by retaining good players and developing their picks. The money they are spending is the result of having a good team, not the other way around.

The Sens have a good core... An Alfredsson would make all the difference in the world... And Alfie has had success with Spezza

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson

Looks good to me... And then management could obtain a defenseman instead of looking for a top six forward for the trade deadline

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
You're all overreacting. You should all remain calm, the people on the Sens are perfect and don't deserve to be criticized
Thanks for adding that bit after the comma. For a second I thought I'd be forced to agree with you and my world didn't make sense anymore.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

Although you're right, you don't think having Hossa, Oduya, and Roszival would help this team ?(all acquisitions by Chicago). I think that having those three guys would literally solve all our problems.

John Holmes*

MacLean has limited choices to make last year due to all the injuries, and wins the Adams.

MacLean has lots of options this year, and poops almost every game.

Maybe he's just not that smart, or that great of a coach?

John Holmes*

I saw a comedian years ago that did a good bit on Pat Burns winning the Jack Adams. Can't remember his name.

Went something like this:

Powerplay? ok, Dougie, get on the ice. What? The penalty is against us? Ok. Dougie, get on the ice.

If there is a situation where you are not on the ice, you are to get on the ice.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
All that says to me is if the Sens had more money for more talent then they would be much higher in the standings.

Instead of fighting for a playoff spot the team would be fighting for the division.

Your making my point, thx for the leg work.

Or if the sens had more talent, they would be spending more money and be higher in the standings.
Having money with nothing to spend it on is where they sit, unless you think trading for a guy like Clarkson will help, or some other teams mistake

The Fuhr*

Or if the sens had more talent, they would be spending more money and be higher in the standings.
Having money with nothing to spend it on is where they sit, unless you think trading for a guy like Clarkson will help, or some other teams mistake

Re-signing Alfredsson and adding a defenseman at the trade deadline... Those two things and the team would be up there with Toronto for the division

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
They had the money for the Alf, they insulted him and he left, he didn't call back he didn't take a second offer, he said F U i'm out's.
Murray had told Alf they wanted to also add ryan, so the plan was to get them both, Murray tried to lowball the guy and ran him off.

That isn't on anyone but Murray, not money , not a budget, Murray

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Its risky but can pay off. Weiss sucks for Detroit but Filppula is great for Tampa.

Also Murray said he didn't offer such a big contract for Clarkson. Who knows, maybe Clarkson would excel for the Sens?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Well Clarkson still might be alright, his surgery was minor but if he had that issue all season it would seriously reduce power and mobility in his arm

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Is it good that Maclean doesn't choose the shooters because he's not good at it?

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Just because teams like the Rangers are garbage at spending money does not make spending money not important.

Ottawas goal should be to win the cup... To do that have to go through Pittsburgh and Boston... They spend to the cap and stack their teams.

Basically we have to beat them spending significantly less in order to win the cup...

If the team spent more money... The depth would be stronger and the Sens would be able to compete with them... The team would then win more games by being better and thus would be higher in the standings.

Money is important

Stop it. You know and I know, that there must be a basis/foundation/core whatever you want to call it for a team. These players must young and good, its that simple. Lets get those guys before we get the quality and expensive supporting cast. And when I say lets get those guys I mean young players that can essentially carry a team to the playoffs. Otherwise we have a flawed core when crappy players are the reason why this team is in the playoffs. By crappy I mean support players that are core to this team getting into playoffs, those guys should be added to a team to put them over the top not to get them to the dance.

This team as of right now probably is on the outside looking in. Before we commit to any support players or any absurd grandeurs or w.e you want to call it lets have a solid and somewhat proven base of youth. I know your thing is being all doomsday and woe is me/us. Just try being happy with the team on the track that it is now. You look back 3 years ago and u had a declining core and a looming rebuild now we seem to have some good base of youth give it time before jumping the gun.

And the cap space we have I assume is to have the youth locked up down the road and the lack of players available to add to this core.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Although you're right, you don't think having Hossa, Oduya, and Roszival would help this team ?(all acquisitions by Chicago). I think that having those three guys would literally solve all our problems.

This is the worst and yet most common argument on HF.

Players have to want to sign here. We have higher taxes and are a small town in comparison to Chicago. Dont expect us to draw big FAs. And when we do, we have to over pay (Gonchar) and then people ***** that we overpaid.

Spend more! But not too much! OMG guys we should sign Crosby and Ovechkin when they are UFA! SO SIMPLE!

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
They had the money for the Alf, they insulted him and he left, he didn't call back he didn't take a second offer, he said F U i'm out's.
Murray had told Alf they wanted to also add ryan, so the plan was to get them both, Murray tried to lowball the guy and ran him off.

That isn't on anyone but Murray, not money , not a budget, Murray

How is that not on Alfie?

So much for all that character he has. One offer he considers too low and he bolts?

Oh but wait, thats just BS speculation that doesnt match with the story that Murray or Alfie have given. The truth, from both Alfie and Murray, is that Alfie wanted out. He wanted something different. It wasnt on the Sens at all.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
I saw a comedian years ago that did a good bit on Pat Burns winning the Jack Adams. Can't remember his name.

Went something like this:

Powerplay? ok, Dougie, get on the ice. What? The penalty is against us? Ok. Dougie, get on the ice.

If there is a situation where you are not on the ice, you are to get on the ice.

The problem is the Sens/MacLean version is Colin....:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad