Maclean's coaching

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Oh but wait, thats just BS speculation that doesnt match with the story that Murray or Alfie have given. The truth, from both Alfie and Murray, is that Alfie wanted out. He wanted something different. It wasnt on the Sens at all.
wait what did I miss something?

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
This is the worst and yet most common argument on HF.

Players have to want to sign here. We have higher taxes and are a small town in comparison to Chicago. Dont expect us to draw big FAs. And when we do, we have to over pay (Gonchar) and then people ***** that we overpaid.

Spend more! But not too much! OMG guys we should sign Crosby and Ovechkin when they are UFA! SO SIMPLE!

Wow, use hyperboles much? It's a fair argument, untwist the knickers. I never said anything about Crosby and Ovechkin. Specifically regarding the players I mentioned, Hossa DID sign with us as an FA, but we traded him away, and Oduya and Roszival type players are not that tough to acquire. I'm not saying we can or should, I was just pointing out the fact that the best teams do it. It is absolutely by far not the worst argument on HF, hyperbole or not.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Wow, use hyperboles much? It's a fair argument, untwist the knickers. I never said anything about Crosby and Ovechkin. Specifically regarding the players I mentioned, Hossa DID sign with us as an FA, but we traded him away, and Oduya and Roszival type players are not that tough to acquire. I'm not saying we can or should, I was just pointing out the fact that the best teams do it. It is absolutely by far not the worst argument on HF, hyperbole or not.

Hossa was drafted and developed by Ottawa. Completely different situation.

The reality is, yes, Ottawa does have issues attracting marquee free agents.

elicw10

Mar 19, 2007
Perhaps I'm naïve, but I think Mario is doing fantastic.

He has a young team, with injury prone veterans. He is essentially a minor-league coach, or a junior coach. Likeable, someone you play your heart out for, and most importantly for a team that relies so heavily on youth (both for opening day roster and for ALL of the call-ups) MAKING A BUNCH OF YOUNG KIDS OVERPERFORM.

Sure, the veterans haven't been incredible, but his work with the kids (in particular with a young defense mostly six to ten years away from their prime but playing with relatively advanced defensive positioning considering their age) has been excellent.

He isn't an X's and O's coach, that's what the assistants do on this team. But he's great with the media, great with the personality management of a young emerging team and, perhaps most importantly to the business side of the game, a great ambassador for the club.

The great thing about professional sports is that the extensive coaching staff means the head coach is able to serve different functions (namely allowing them to focus on the personalities rather than systems). And as a personality manager, a figurehead, and an ambassador he is suiting these functions well.

His in game management, and line combinations, seem fine to me. He is adopting what I call (as I'm from Peterborough so let my biases be known) a "Dick Todd" system, where the lines are nearly all able to be rolled in order (they aren't) and have quality all the way through. His concentration on chemistry, not skill, deserves praise. As does his deflection of attention away from Spezza during post-game conversations. As well as his decision to ride Anderson (a work horse) to protect his young rising star from fatigue (keep in mind the number of minutes Lehner has seen thus far in his career at all levels). This allows a fresh Lehner for the playoffs or stretch run, with an established veteran #1 if he falters.

But I think the thing I like the most about his coaching, despite his being faulted by some on these boards for not employing a more rigid structure, is that he hasn't coached the creativity out of the kids just yet. Sure we trap with the best of em, and grind away at better opponents, but while the kids are learning the rigid structure of the NHL he is allowing them to make boom-or-bust mistakes. He's letting them play the best they can play RIGHT NOW, while teaching them systematic hockey that, once established NHLers. is the best system for the NHL. It's that room for growth, ultimately, that I think will pay off.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Perhaps I'm naïve, but I think Mario is doing fantastic.

Wait... Who is Mario?

He has a young team, with injury prone veterans. He is essentially a minor-league coach, or a junior coach. Likeable, someone you play your heart out for, and most importantly for a team that relies so heavily on youth (both for opening day roster and for ALL of the call-ups) MAKING A BUNCH OF YOUNG KIDS OVERPERFORM.

I can't think of any young kids overperforming other than Ceci, and Richardson deserves a lot of the credit for that. I guess Turris is another one, but he has been in the league for 5 years.

Other than that, Zibanejad has been up and down the lineup, Da Costa has struggled to get minutes despite playing well, Wiercioch is in and out, Cowen has looked completely lost at times, and Conacher has struggled.

If anything, a major source of complaint for MacLean is his favouring of the veterans over the young guys.

Sure, the veterans haven't been incredible, but his work with the kids (in particular with a young defense mostly six to ten years away from their prime but playing with relatively advanced defensive positioning considering their age) has been excellent.

Disagree. Did you watch the first 25 games of the season? The defense was horrible. They have been better since December but we still consistently see boneheaded decisions, especially in terms of positioning.

As well as his decision to ride Anderson (a work horse) to protect his young rising star from fatigue (keep in mind the number of minutes Lehner has seen thus far in his career at all levels). This allows a fresh Lehner for the playoffs or stretch run, with an established veteran #1 if he falters.

I really don't understand this part. You're saying Anderson is playing because MacLean doesn't want to tire out Lehner? Anderson is playing because he came into the year as the established number 1 and MacLean has loyalty to that.

elicw10

Mar 19, 2007
How old are these inconsistent defensemen you speak of? Like 20-25? Years away from their peak. Years away from understanding positioning perfectly.

Anderson was the #1 at the beginning of the season. Lehner should start now.

He's playing the vets cause the kids are young. Like I've said before.

Way to completely skip over my central points, the personality and creativity...

elicw10

Mar 19, 2007
Disagree. Did you watch the first 25 games of the season? The defense was horrible. They have been better since December but we still consistently see boneheaded decisions, especially in terms of positioning. QUOTE]

... we are talking about the same, young, inexperienced line-up... I wonder why they look better near the middle rather than the beginning of the season...

Never intended to say the positioning was good. Just to say that they have learned a lot, considering their age and experience.

oh... and Mario is my pet name for MaClean. My bad ;)

elicw10

Mar 19, 2007
slightly off topic, but the comparison between our current goalie scenario and Boston's a few years back with Rask and Thomas is remarkably similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad