MacKinnon vs McDavid (speed with the puck)

Who is faster with the puck?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We all know McDavid is the faster player of the two without the puck, but with the puck I'm curious to see who people think is faster because I'm thinking its MacKinnon. I'm an Avs fan and in no way trying to be a homer, I just think MacK can absolutely fly with the puck on his stick and perhaps faster than McDavid.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
Mackinnon might have a similar first few steps in terms of explosiveness, but McDavid's top gear speed is definitely on another level.

Mackinnon's skating reminds me of young Ovechkin in that he's explosive and powerful (i.e. can muscle his way through defenders at times).

McDavid reminds me of Pavel Bure, explosive and an unreal top speed too (and relatively less power).

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
We all know McDavid is the faster player of the two without the puck, but with the puck I'm curious to see who people think is faster because I'm thinking its MacKinnon. I'm an Avs fan and in no way trying to be a homer, I just think MacK can absolutely fly with the puck on his stick and perhaps faster than McDavid.

MacKinnon can fly with the puck. He is super fast, so you're not wrong. However there is still a difference imo.

Actual visual representation of the difference (taken Sept 14, 2018):

NATE MACKINNON SPEED WITH THE PUCK

CONNOR MCFALCON SPEED WITH THE PUCK
tenor.gif

As you can see, Mack is very fast (faster than most), but McDavid as a slight edge.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
MacKinnon can fly with the puck. He is super fast, so you're not wrong. However there is still a difference imo.

Actual visual representation of the difference (taken Sept 14, 2018):

NATE MACKINNON SPEED WITH THE PUCK

CONNOR MCFALCON SPEED WITH THE PUCK
tenor.gif

As you can see, Mack is very fast (faster than most), but McDavid as a slight edge.

Brent Burns is McDavid's wingman?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Not just being a fanboy but eichel is faster then mackinnon, better in transition.

Eichel even bested mackinnon at speed skating this year at the all star game despite stumbling at the beginning. Only Brayden point finished less then a millisecond better outside mcdavid.

When jack returned from a serious high ankle sprain in December 2016 (an injury known to linger for months) right away he got back into form and lead the league in transition zone rushes with mcdavid second, in that latter half of 16-17 which is all he played. Despite missing those two months and it being just his second year he out-scored an older mackinnon who was healthy and played a whole year. Mack has one godly season and now he’s just the best at everything I guess. My opinion of him will go up big time if he does it again but as of now the majority of the time shows him to be very meh for a number one overall. However recency bias may suggest he found his game so he is still on the same tier.

So few have watched him due to buffalo sucking an injury but it’s a sight to behold. I sound like just a super fan hit this is an arena where eichel is second or third best in among forwards. Larkin and point are great as Is Barzal, mackinnon is too, there’s a number of them now.

Mcdavid
Eichel
Mackinnon
Larkin
Barzal

Are all very good at this.

To answer the thread question it’s obviously mcdavid.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not just being a fanboy but eichel is faster then mackinnon, better in transition.

Eichel even bested mackinnon at speed skating this year at the all star game despite stumbling at the beginning. Only Brayden point finished less then a millisecond better outside mcdavid.

When jack returned from a serious high ankle sprain in December 2016 (an injury known to linger for months) right away he got back into form and lead the league in transition zone rushes with mcdavid second, in that latter half of 16-17 which is all he played. Despite missing those two months and it being just his second year he out-scored an older mackinnon who was healthy and played a whole year. Mack has one godly season and now he’s just the best at everything I guess. My opinion of him will go up big time if he does it again but as of now the majority of the time shows him to be very meh for a number one overall. However recency bias may suggest he found his game so he is still on the same tier.

So few have watched him due to buffalo sucking an injury but it’s a sight to behold. I sound like just a super fan hit this is an arena where eichel is second or third best in among forwards. Larkin and point are great as Is Barzal, mackinnon is too, there’s a number of them now.

Mcdavid
Eichel
Mackinnon
Larkin
Barzal

Are all very good at this.

To answer the thread question it’s obviously mcdavid.
I agree with most of your post.

Eichel has one hell of an awkward skating stride though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad