MacKinnon vs Makar

Who is Better?

• Total voters

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Besides the oblivious positional difference, there are contracts to consider. Makar is signed longer term of course but a team for a team near the cap, adding a top 3 superstar center for $6.3 million for the rest of this year and next is absolutely a bargain.

I’m not ready to declare Makar definitively“better” than MacK. MacK has struggled initially on return from injury this season and yet is 6th in the NHL in PPG. Once his shooting percentage normalizes (at 5% right now compared to 25% for Leon and 16-17% for guys like Kadri, MaxPac and McD), he’ll be right back towards the top of the scoring heap.

Reactions: SkeeterPumpkinEater

TheRarestDangles

Oct 1, 2019
Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
Besides the oblivious positional difference, there are contracts to consider. Makar is signed longer term of course but a team for a team near the cap, adding a top 3 superstar center for $6.3 million for the rest of this year and next is absolutely a bargain.

I’m not ready to declare Makar “better” than MacK. MacK struggled initially on return from injury this season and yet is 6th in the NHL in PPG. Once his shooting percentage normalizes (at 5% right now compared to 25% for Leon and 16-17% for guys like Kadri, MaxPac and McD), he’ll be right back towards the top of the scoring heap.
I should have mentioned this but contracts won't factor in the decision. It's based purely upon who is better/more valuable.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I should have mentioned this but contracts won't factor in the decision. It's based purely upon who is better/more valuable.

Mmmkay, your poll :)

I do think contracts are an interesting wrinkle though…

My gut tells me Makar is going to win this by a significant margin because he’s “so hot” right now and the HFB motto tends to be “younger = better” and MacK has had a slow (by his standards…1.40 PPG while shooting 5% and admittedly not looking in peak form…is almost more testament to how good he usually is).

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Its hard to compare dmen to forwards but I'm confident enough in Makar at this point to say him

Makar is a higher ranked dman than Mackinnon is a forward

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Makar is a higher ranked dman than Mackinnon is a forward

I mean…maybe…it’s pretty close though. MacK is usually between 2 and 4 for forwards…Makar similar among defenders. If you personally have MacK as the 4th best forward and Makar as the 2nd best defenseman, aren’t we kind of splitting hairs?

I guess the argument can be made that Makar is a lot closer to #1 than MacK can be at their respective positions because of the presence of McDavid and that Makar is more likely to at some point have a legit claim to #1 at their respective positions.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I mean…maybe…it’s pretty close though. MacK is usually between 2 and 4 for forwards…Makar similar among defenders. If you personally have MacK as the 4th best forward and Makar as the 2nd best defenseman, aren’t we kind of splitting hairs?

I guess the argument can be made that Makar is a lot closer to #1 than MacK can be at their respective positions because of the presence of McDavid and that Makar is more likely to at some point have a legit claim to #1 at their respective positions.
I think Makar has a quite strong argument for #1dman in the league, and it will only grow stronger over the next few years.
I don't think Mackinnon has any argument for best forward in the league and I don't see that changing.

So yes kinda splitting hairs but we kinda have to when we're choosing between players of this caliber that are very comparable in talent

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I think if you took them and put them on a different team, MacKinnon would probably have more success. Both are perfect fits right where they are tho so imo this poll is almost too close to call. Would've voted for that option

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

I’m not ready to declare Makar definitively“better” than MacK. MacK has struggled initially on return from injury this season and yet is 6th in the NHL in PPG. Once his shooting percentage normalizes (at 5% right now compared to 25% for Leon and 16-17% for guys like Kadri, MaxPac and McD), he’ll be right back towards the top of the scoring heap.
Contracts have nothing to do with who is better.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Contracts have nothing to do with who is better.

Thanks for the enlightening Ted Talk on the meaning of better. Here's the first line of the poll:

Simple: who would you rather have on your team/who is better?

Seems to leave it up to us what the actual question is until the OP gives further explanation after my post.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Those are actually two questions.

Who is better?

Who would you rather have on your team?

I think it’s MacKinnon/MacKinnon but I could see a team like the Leafs going with Makar.

It’s close either way with Makar earning the recency bias.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheRarestDangles

Oct 1, 2019
Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
Those are actually two questions.

Who is better?

Who would you rather have on your team?

I think it’s MacKinnon/MacKinnon but I could see a team like the Leafs going with Makar.

It’s close either way with Makar earning the recency bias.
It's kind of like drafting though--usually you draft by BPA, not by positional need (i.e. if you think Makar is better, then you would probably still rather have him on your team, even if your team is thin at forward).

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Listen I love Makar and he is definitely the 'cool' vote. Makar has been better than MacKinnon this year, there is no question about that.

But if it's game 7 and we're down a goal with a minute left, I want the puck on 29's stick.

I think Makar has a quite strong argument for #1dman in the league, and it will only grow stronger over the next few years.
I don't think Mackinnon has any argument for best forward in the league and I don't see that changing.

So yes kinda splitting hairs but we kinda have to when we're choosing between players of this caliber that are very comparable in talent

I will argue at length that Makar is the best defenseman in the league. That is irrelevant though for this comparison since Makar is not better than McDavid either.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I mean, the Avs fans are saying Makar, so hard to dispute that. Guess that shows you how good Makar is, because Mackinnon is filthy.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I mean, the Avs fans are saying Makar, so hard to dispute that. Guess that shows you how good Makar is, because Mackinnon is filthy.
So far we haven't seen the Mack we've used to. That's probably why Avs fans are picking Makar here while also playing way better when Mack is out. Creating more chances and shooting the puck more. Defensively breaking plays he's damn good at it but what he needs to improve is zone coverage.

Reactions: majormajor

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
If I had to choose 1 I’d take Makar. Best d man I’ve seen since Ray Bourque. But I’m glad I don’t have to choose.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Makar. I think a lot are getting MacKinnon fatigue. Very talented player, but hasn’t put up many accolades in his career. At some point, you have to produce in the accolades columns in your career. Makar is no worse than the second best defenseman in the league.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Interesting how close this is. Couple of seasons ago MacKinnon was often considered to be the 2nd best player after McDavid.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
MacKinnon is more of an athletic freak but Makar definitely has higher hockey IQ.

That said, even when MacKinnon is having an underwhelming start of the year he has 21 points in 15 games so he's a very steady producer of points. But the underwhelming start might tilt this poll as well since it's easy to forget how dominant he can be when playing well.

Reactions: Weast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad