• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Mack just went off in November while playing with guys like Burakovsky and Donskoi. I have little doubt that he’s the 2nd best player in the league.

Reactions: Dominance

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Can't forget that Kucherov just put up the highest scoring season in nearly 20 years...and he's coming in hot again lately (19 points in 11 games).

I think this one is really close.

Reactions: Gains

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Kucherov just came off a 128 point season. Do people forget that? I dont understand....

He has 30 points in 24 games. Last year he had 32 in 24 games. Started slow too..

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Kucherov just came off a 128 point season. Do people forget that? I dont understand....

He has 30 points in 24 games. Last year he had 32 in 24 games. Started slow too..
No one forgets that. It's just that most of us look at the bigger picture regarding Kucherov.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Bigger picture - meaning?

Last year Kucherov easily had the better season even considering linemates. The year before and this season currently it's clearly MacKinnon. MacKinnon is also a center, drives the play more and just generally appears to be a much more dominant, faster and skilled player. So unless Kucherov outscores him again this year which I predict he won't, or any season going forward, I believe MacKinnon is our answer.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I seriously doubt anyone forgot what Kucherov did last season. Just ask yourself if you had to pick between Mackinnon and Kucherov starting a franchise from scratch who are you taking? It is pretty straight forward decision in my mind even with how great Kucherov is.

Reactions: Dominance

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Last year Kucherov easily had the better season even considering linemates. The year before and this season currently it's clearly MacKinnon. MacKinnon is also a center, drives the play more and just generally appears to be a much more dominant, faster and skilled player. So unless Kucherov outscores him again this year which I predict he won't, or any season going forward, I believe MacKinnon is our answer.

2 years ago their seasons were very close. Kuch actually led the league in scoring most of the year - then slowed a bit down the stretch after his team was very securely in playoffs spot. Still finished 3rd in scoring and above Mack. He also had a strong playoff leading his team to conference finals. Mack had a strong year too and maybe they're close or maybe you can give slight edge to Mack - but it's close.

Last year was a blowout for Kuch.

This year its been 25 games. Its not what we should be basing our opinions on. I expect Kucherov will outscore him yet again.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
2 years ago their seasons were very close. Kuch actually led the league in scoring most of the year - then slowed a bit down the stretch after his team was very securely in playoffs spot. Still finished 3rd in scoring and above Mack. He also had a strong playoff leading his team to conference finals. Mack had a strong year too and maybe they're close or maybe you can give slight edge to Mack - but it's close.

Last year was a blowout for Kuch.

This year its been 25 games. Its not what we should be basing our opinions on. I expect Kucherov will outscore him yet again.

I base my opinions on watching them play. Kucherov is also on the most stacked team in recent history.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

MacKinnon is right there with him in points per game with more goals in less games the past 3 seasons and has mostly played with considerably worse linemates overall. Both also have pretty close playoff points per game their past 3 appearances too but again based on what I've seen I'll take MacKinnon everytime.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
if I had to rank their seasons in order it would probably be

Kucherov 18-19
Mackinnon 17-18
Kucherov 2016-17 / 2017-18
Mackinnon 2018-19

For now, edge Kucherov. This season might change things though.

Also, people keep bringing up Mackinnons linemates. But Kucherov's team in 2016-17 didn't even make the playoffs. Mackinnon's teams did last year and the year before. He had Hedman with 72 points, better than any player Mackinnon plays with atm. But the next highest scoring player on that team was Jonathan drouin with 53 points. Kucherov had 85 in 74 and was 2nd in goals, gpg, 5th in points and 4th in PPG. That's a better stat line than any of Mackinnon's seasons excluding Mackinnon's hart season.

And in that season. Scoring was noticeably lower. 40 goals in 2016-17 was good for 2nd. in 2017-18 39 goals was good for 9th, and the year after 41 goals was good for 6th. Kucherov's ppg finish in 2016-17 is the same in 2017-18

Point is, Kucherov is likely a top 5 to 2 point producer, regardless of linemates.

And same with Mackinnon

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The guy who's broken 100 points back to back vs the guy who hasn't.

Easily Kucherov, MacKinnon is coming off a hot streak and people are short sighted but Kucherov will pass him as he always does.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
If this question was asked literally 2 months ago then everyone would have said Kucherov. Since Kucherov's first full season (14/15), he has been better in 4/5 seasons (MacK was better in 17/18). Yes MacK has been better this season but Kucherov tore him a new one last year (29pt gap). The line mate argument doesn't work because MacK plays on the best or 2nd best line in the league. Both are top 5 players and going forward I'd take MacK, but based on what they've done so far Kucherov is better.

Reactions: User9992

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Mackinnon. Not close. To me he's the 2nd best player in the league.

Its tough to firmly put players ahead of Crosby (even McDavid until atleast a year or 2 ago) but Mackinnon's proven it at this point.

He's been top 3 for a bit now but to me he's the guy right behind Connor. It feels like Stamkos was in 2012, just an incredible player.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
If this question was asked literally 2 months ago then everyone would have said Kucherov. Since Kucherov's first full season (14/15), he has been better in 4/5 seasons (MacK was better in 17/18). Yes MacK has been better this season but Kucherov tore him a new one last year (29pt gap). The line mate argument doesn't work because MacK plays on the best or 2nd best line in the league. Both are top 5 players and going forward I'd take MacK, but based on what they've done so far Kucherov is better.

I feel like from 17/18 on Mac has been better. Even with Kuch having the advantage last year its still 2 of 3 for Mackinnon.

Before that Mackinnon was underachieving but he's really come into a differ stratosphere since. His ability to take over a game is so rare. Maybe being a C helps him over Kuch but I just feel like this is Mackinnon very easily. Guy can literally win games by himself regularly.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I feel like from 17/18 on Mac has been better. Even with Kuch having the advantage last year its still 2 of 3 for Mackinnon.

Before that Mackinnon was underachieving but he's really come into a differ stratosphere since. His ability to take over a game is so rare. Maybe being a C helps him over Kuch but I just feel like this is Mackinnon very easily. Guy can literally win games by himself regularly.

How is it 2/3? This season is ~30% done, anything can still happen. And anyway, MacK was slightly better, if at all, in 17/18. Kucherov was WAY better in 18/19. That gives Kucherov a huge lead, 25 games of this season doesn't change that.

If MacK was underachieving that's too bad for him, it doesn't take away from what Kucherov did.

Reactions: User9992

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
How is it 2/3? This season is ~30% done, anything can still happen. And anyway, MacK was slightly better, if at all, in 17/18. Kucherov was WAY better in 18/19. That gives Kucherov a huge lead, 25 games of this season doesn't change that.

If MacK was underachieving that's too bad for him, it doesn't take away from what Kucherov did.

No it doesn't but we are talking about now. What happened within the last 3 years is more relevant to the comparison, especially considering Mackinnons age.

This season is 30% done but Mackinnon is as good right now as he's ever been, including 17/18. Its almost like he's reached another level since then.

Mackinnon's got a pretty clear disadvantage in the team he plays for, on an individual basis was Kucherov really "WAY better" last year? I don't think Mackinnon's play took a huge hit, Tampa Bay did get much much better though. Swap them teams & is Kucherov leading Mackinnon by that many points? He might still lead but I doubt its by a "WAY better" margin.

I'll say it again. Mackinnon single-handedly wins games for his team right now. In a rare fashion. This guy is surpassing Crosby right now.

I have no love affair for the Avalanche but Mackinnon is simply an incredible player. Reminds me of Stamkos in 2012 the way he's taking over the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad