MacKinnon vs. Barkov

Who would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
His offensive game is nowhere near as dynamic as Datsyuk’s. He’s a Jumbo Joe/Kopitar hybrid. He has the exact same cerebral playmaking game & ability to shield the puck that Jumbo does; and his defensive game is already matching Kopi’s.

Kid’s an absolute beast but other than being a high scoring selke candidate, Datsyuk is a weird comparison

Barkov is one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league. As for creativity, check out his shootouts. Pair that with his defense and the comparisons to Datsyuk are entirely reasonable.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
His offensive game is nowhere near as dynamic as Datsyuk’s. He’s a Jumbo Joe/Kopitar hybrid through & through. He has the exact same cerebral playmaking game & ability to shield the puck that Jumbo does; and his defensive game is already matching Kopi’s.

Kid’s an absolute beast but other than being a high scoring selke candidate, Datsyuk is a weird comparison
He's like Kopitar with Datsuyks filthy mitts!

Reactions: cgf and authentic

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Barkov is one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league. As for creativity, check out his shootouts. Pair that with his defense and the comparisons to Datsyuk are entirely reasonable.

He's one of the best playmakers, but I wouldn't use the word dynamic to describe his creativity. When I think dynamic I think McDavid, I think Forsberg. Barkov is much more cerebral & Thornton-esque than that. Just a very different style offensively from Sasha than that of Datsyuk.
Is Barkov now the frontrunner for Selke this season?

With Bergeron's injury it's between him & Kopi. Though I'd give it to Sasha.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
His offensive game is nowhere near as dynamic as Datsyuk’s. He’s a Jumbo Joe/Kopitar hybrid through & through. He has the exact same cerebral playmaking game & ability to shield the puck that Jumbo does; and his defensive game is already matching Kopi’s.

I see what you are saying with your Thornton and Kopitar comparison but he has Datsyuk's fancy dangles and creative shootout moves. Also a very long stick for his size which at his height must have him up there with the best reach in the game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I see what you are saying with your Thornton and Kopitar comparison but he has Datsyuk's fancy dangles and creative shootout moves. Also a very long stick for his size which at his height must have him up there with the best reach in the game.

His shootout moves are definitely Datsyukian. That part of the comparison I have no disagreements with

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
not saying this will happen but he has the chance to

1. win the Selke
2. be the highest scoring Selke winner relative to the rest of the league since Ron Francis. And I believe Francis would be the only one since the award's inception (correct me if I'm wrong).

He'd have to score at a 1.15-1.2 pace from now until game 81

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sasha is better than Backstrom & Getzlaf. seguin’s defensive transformation this season makes that one tough, but the other two? Not so much.
You haven't seen Getzlaf this season I am assuming.

Reactions: SotasicA

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Barkov > Getzlaf > Seguin >> Backstrom

This Season.

I'd take Seguin over Getzlaf as well. Radu drives the Stars offense now, but Seguin has pulled a Modano with his two-way play this year...while still being an elite goalscorer.
not saying this will happen but he has the chance to

1. win the Selke
2. be the highest scoring Selke winner relative to the rest of the league since Ron Francis. And I believe Francis would be the only one since the award's inception (correct me if I'm wrong).

He'd have to score at a 1.15-1.2 pace from now until game 81

This just bums me out all over again that Joe didn't win the Selke in 2001. 2nd in points to Jagr (by 3) for the Ross, 2nd in goals to Bure (by 5) for the Rocket, 2nd to Madden for the Selke, won the Lady Byng, won the Pearson and won the Hart. Joe was 5 goals and some Selke votes away from having the best season this century is likely to see, in the very first season of the new millenium.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I'm not going to take MacK after 1 great season. Barkov right now, and we'll see if MacK keeps it up.
That's the part of the fun that you take who will be better now and in the future and stick with it, not plan to change it every time other gets hot and other gets cold, for example if I was starting a franchise and had that first OA pick, I'd go w MacKinnon but I would try to make a significant trade proposal to acquire that 2nd OA and take Barkov from that draft. There's your future Stanley cup caliber centers right there..

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
That's the part of the fun that you take who will be better now and in the future and stick with it, not plan to change it every time other gets hot and other gets cold, for example if I was starting a franchise and had that first OA pick, I'd go w MacKinnon but I would try to make a significant trade proposal to acquire that 2nd OA and take Barkov from that draft. There's your future Stanley cup caliber centers right there..

If Avs actually had the top two picks, I wonder if they would have selected Barkov or Drouin, and keep that Moosehead pairing together.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Avs actually had the top two picks, I wonder if they would have selected Barkov or Drouin, and keep that Moosehead pairing together.

They would have taken Barkov. They loved him an were heavily debating him over MacKinnon.

The interesting question in that scenario is if they would have taken one of the centers & Seth Jones, or gone with the two franchise centers.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
MacK's "unproven" scoring touch and Barkov's "injury issues" aside

two top 10 Cs signed for under 12.5M for the next several years. That team would be the next dynasty

helps that both teams are attractive to FA. I'd expect at least 1 cup

Reactions: cgf

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Mackinnon is the better player if he can continue his current level or at least somewhat close for another year. Barkov has a far better track record so I'll take him for now

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
I am still voting Barkov (one of my fav players in the league ) when comparing these two but McKinnon is very very close, So basically a coin toss were you win regardless of wheter its head or tails.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
lol then don't bother bringing up career stats

what makes it more sustainable?
are you one of those guys who tried telling laine fans that his shooting isn't sustainable?
No actually I was one of those who knew that his shooting percentage was sustainable due to his elite shot which can beat any goalie no matter how much goalies would study it.

We have seen players who have played over PPG but it has only lasted a season or so. Barkov has been almost PPG for three seasons now. It was expected that he would have that pace if he stayed healthy as he has now.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I honestly can't decide which one is "better" but aren't they kind of a fantastic duo for #1 & #2 picks in the same draft year? MacKinnon could be the perfect offensive dynamo a la McDavid lite and Barkov is your prototypical winning #1C with defensive game off the charts and those dirrrty mittens too. That was a good draft year for sure!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad