Value of: MacKinnon to Edmonton

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Lucic would need to be included to balance the salaries.

Maybe swap their third round picks and then call it a day

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think Milan Lucic would do it :sarcasm:

They have similar contract

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
cost would be huge.

Draisaitl to start, then add another significant piece. (Nurse maybe)

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
lol. nothing except mcdavid. difference between drai and mackinnon is massive. not a couple first round pick difference.

Reactions: north49er

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Without McDavid? Draisaitl + Bouchard + 2019 1st + 2020 1st + 2021 1st

With McDavid and Nurse? MacKinnon + Ottawa 1st + Barrie + Anybody not named Makar, Landeskog, or Rantanen

Reactions: RandomAvsFan

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Mack's value is very close to McDavid because he literally makes half the money McD makes. If I'm Colorado, I'm not trading Mack under any circumstances.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Colorado already tried this. They fleeced the Sens and dumped Duchene. Be sure the Avs would dump MacKinnon if they got Duchene Deal +++. Do the Oilers have enough assets to get this deal done? McDavid has great chemistry with MacKinnon.

So what assets would the Oilers have to give up to make this deal happen?

Oilers do not have the assets or cap space

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
lol slow day in hockey huh? The Oilers only have one piece we'd want in return and McDavid isn't getting traded. As 'idiotic' as it seems to some people, the AAV/points is a real discussion. Mack isn't going anywhere.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Mack's the most valuable player in the league. For the last year and a half he's played as well or probably even better than McDavid, and that's not counting contracts.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Are they going to pay him with sweat pants and concrete strip malls? How can they afford that? They are already in cap hell

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Without delving into why the idea of Mack > McDavid due to contracts is idiotic - one dynamic i'll bring up that rarely gets discussed when comparing the 2 players is this:

1. Put McDavid on any team in the league - Montreal, Arizona, Tampa, Toronto....i'm confident he produces as much as he does now, maybe a bit less/bit more.

2. Put MacKinnon on any team in the league - like Montreal, Arizona or Detroit for example - and i'm not sure how he does. It took him a few years to get going, and his chemistry with Ranta obviously has helped propel him to a new level. I'd have much less faith in Mack's ability to replicate that level of play outside of Colorado than I would McDavid in a similar situation.
So put McDavid on Colorado's top line and he'll score 200 points?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Yes, really. I've seen this time and time again on here saying X player is not for sale because their team would not deal for any price. Heck, Sens fans on here once said Jared Cowen was not for sale and nothing would get the Sens to move him.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Drai (50% retained)
Klefbom
2019 first

Would get the conversation started, but I don’t see the Oilers wanting to do that and I’m still not certain the Avs would either just due to chemistry.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Yes, really. I've seen this time and time again on here saying X player is not for sale because their team would not deal for any price. Heck, Sens fans on here once said Jared Cowen was not for sale and nothing would get the Sens to move him.
Well in order to do it the guy McD has great chemistry with would be with Edmonton and McD would be with Colorado.

BeastMode97

Jan 4, 2015
As an Oiler fan, after McDavid, IMO Mackinnon is the most valuable player in the league. His contract is just ridiculous and his skill and speed is insane.

I remember after MacKinnon had his down year, and there was a contract delay with Draisaitl after his big breakout season, I wanted to see if we could flip the two players. I think some Avs fans were interested at the time.

Now though, Avs would be stupid to even listen to offers for MacKinnon.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
if you aren't looking to deal McDavid, it would probably take Drai and an unprotected 1st plus Nuge or Klefbom

this or equivalent at min
not likely, but if Avs really want to get out ahead, I could MAYBE see it

the drool line would be
Kreider-McD-MacK
too much to defend against

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
Both Avs and Oilers agree there is no trade to be made because of the bigger picture. Cap issues, contracts, team needs, team future plans etc. Individual posts poiting out this and that is just this and that and nothing more.

No trade to be made involving Mackinnon to the oilers.

There are potential theoretical fits between Edmonton and Colorado in the near future as Colorado can eat cap space or give up a RD defenceman that suits Edmonton. Also either team might desperately want to move up the draft this summer to get a certain guy, so I think the teams can be suitable trade partners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad