Friedman: Mackinnon injury might force Avs to go big game hunting sooner rather than later ( Toews, Horvat)

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I like guys like Newhook but i doubt they can be dealt…. Jsut think LA such a better fit with their surplus’s of d men

Whats the book on Newhook so far? is he projecting well? i know he is only 21 so there will be lots of ups and downs but wasnt he in the doghouse this season?

I'm not convinced that Newhook would be the player the Canucks should target in a return for one their biggest trade assets in 20 years in Horvat

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
ROR to the Avs for a 2023 1st and 2nd

He's having a tough tough year. trading for him and giving up that kind of value would be stricty be based on reputatio and a huge huge gamble for the Avs that he can regain form in a short amount of time.

Wasnt there also bridges burned between ROR and Avs? maybe im wrong

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He's having a tough tough year. trading for him and giving up that kind of value would be stricty be based on reputatio and a huge huge gamble for the Avs that he can regain form in a short amount of time.

Wasnt there also bridges burned between ROR and Avs? maybe im wrong

He’s fine. The Blues are just sucking right now. He’s still a beast, especially in the playoffs

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He’s fine. The Blues are just sucking right now. He’s still a beast, especially in the playoffs

The blues are sucking cuz ROR is sucking or ROR is sucking cuz the blues are sucking?

chicken or egg

ROR is a team worst minus 19 when it comes to forwards for the Blues.

He is also going to be 32 yrs old by the time the playoff comes in spring.

Avs would have to be take a huge huge gamble to give up a 1st and 2nd for what looks like a big dip and decline in RORs play.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
MacKinnon is about that most competitive guy in the league. Zero chance he’d agree to sit while healthy so they could add a middling player like Toews.
MacKinnon doesn't strike me as the type of guy to stir up a grievance between the PA and Joe Sakic just because he had an extra month of paid vacation time a year after winning the cup, all to muddle the team's best chance at pursuing its its second-in-a-row by adding a quality piece with his regular season salary.
It's not likely that he competes for any individual awards if he's out until February or March anyway.
If it's a short injury he'll be back, but if it's the difference between coming back with 5-10 games in the regular season and adding a quality piece, I think Mackinnon's agent will make sure he understands what's happening.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They really need something if they wanna defend the cup.

I can’t get over some of the forwards they’ve been icing.

A lot of AHL players like Dryden Hunt, Jason Megna, Galchenyuk, Blidh, Hudon and busted first round pick Martin Kaut.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I’m not expecting a trade soon. Nuke is in full contact now, Helm in no-contact and Landeskog is skating. The Avs hopefully just have to ride out a couple more games before they start getting guys back in the lineup

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The blues are sucking cuz ROR is sucking or ROR is sucking cuz the blues are sucking?

chicken or egg

ROR is a team worst minus 19 when it comes to forwards for the Blues.

He is also going to be 32 yrs old by the time the playoff comes in spring.

Avs would have to be take a huge huge gamble to give up a 1st and 2nd for what looks like a big dip and decline in RORs play.

ROR is the last person I’d worry about when the playoffs start. He has another playoff gear. Now, If you asked me how a 4-5 extention would age, I’d give you a completely different answer.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder if the Avs might be interested in adding a depth player who might well be a useful addition for the medium term.... thinking specifically of Dvorak, who'd be a useful 2/3C once McK is back but might also help fill the gap in the meantime. I guess cap-wise this only works if McK is out long-term.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
It's weird how the media keeps pretending that Toews is still a good player

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
They really need something if they wanna defend the cup.

I can’t get over some of the forwards they’ve been icing.

A lot of AHL players like Dryden Hunt, Jason Megna, Galchenyuk, Blidh, Hudon and busted first round pick Martin Kaut.
I know it blows. Kind of amazing that no one has claimed Martin the legend Kaut from waivers, right Beauchamp?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Toews is a non starter without retention due to the current cap space the Avs are holding. Roughly $6-$7 million with injury space.

I don't think they can fit toews in, but Horvat yes. Unsure what the ask/return could be but that would be a pretty awesome centre depth for the Avs

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It's possible but unlikely. Colorado's front office is meticulous; they don't make panic moves, and certainly not with 60 games left.

As bad as things are health wise, Helm and Nichushkin are close to returning, Byram and Landeskog (both LBI's) are skating, and Lehkonen is only day-to-day.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It's possible but unlikely. Colorado's front office is meticulous; they don't make panic moves, and certainly not with 60 games left.

As bad as things are health wise, Helm and Nichushkin are close to returning, Byram and Landeskog (both LBI's) are skating, and Lehkonen is only day-to-day.

I'm sure AVS dont want to over-exert and their players by asking them to play roles they are not used or capable of. They would be gassed by playoffs.

Adding "big game" pieces now will help reserve some gas in the tank plus they will avoid the auction and crazyness of the trade treadline.

Reactions: shadow1

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I think everyone will be surprised how well toews will play if he goes to a contender this year. "Rejuvenated" if you will
That's quite possible. Postseason success has been in short supply lately so i'm sure he'd appreciate another taste.

Reactions: hurdemz

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Fans are funny

2021/2022: Avs don't want Miller, Miller is old, a UFA a bum, they want to much
2022/2023: ROR though hey? Maybe ROR, hey ROR might be available

:laugh:

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
So in response to losing Mackinnon the avs will essentially commit suicide by acquiring Toews? What terrible speculation.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I wonder if the Avs might be interested in adding a depth player who might well be a useful addition for the medium term.... thinking specifically of Dvorak, who'd be a useful 2/3C once McK is back but might also help fill the gap in the meantime. I guess cap-wise this only works if McK is out long-term.
he's no better than compher, rodrigues. newhook.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So in response to losing Mackinnon the avs will essentially commit suicide by acquiring Toews? What terrible speculation.

Horvat is the other speculated player that was thrown out.

Mac- Horvat 1,2 down the middle in the playoffs would be very very hard to stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad