MacKinnon for the Hart

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I've looked, not as much as the gap between MacKinnon and his teammates (depending on how you look at it)....but if you look at it in totality, it's pretty similar. Kucherov has a bigger gap between himself and #2, but Mackinnon has the bigger gap when you look at top 5-6. If you look at goals and points scored by the whole team Kucherov vs. rest of team and Mackinnon vs. rest of the team are pretty similar.
Point gap between x teammates is less of a valuable stat then simply percentage of team goals in on. Kucherov has a goal or assist on 50.8% of Tampa’s goals while MacKinnon is at 46.2%. As mentioned by someone else Kucherov has 52 points in 25 games vs top 10 teams compared to Mackinnon who has 32 years in 23. These 2 stats tip the scales in favour of Kucherov for the Hart in my opinion. Regardless of if you believe MacKinnon has been a slightly better player, there’s no doubt Kucherov has been slightly more valuable to his team.

Reactions: AppreciateHockey

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's fine....but I think if MacKinnon wins and Kucherov finishes 2nd, I don't think we can really point to media bias too much as there are perfectly good reasons MacKinnon should win, etc. If Kucherov finishes 3rd or 4th or 5th, then yeah, maybe that starts too look strange. For now, I'll withhold judgment.

Personally I don’t think finishing 3rd would look strange. 5th would. But we’ve got 4 guys who are all playing out of their minds of which he is one.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Doubty

Mar 25, 2021
If the vote was today MacKinnon would win because the Art Ross race is trivially close, and MacKinnon leads in goals, 5v5 points, and non-EN points. I don't think it would be all that close, because his name is Nathan MacKinnon and he doesn't have one yet. Anybody on the fence between the two, would likely fall that way.

MacKinnon is deserving. If you had a blind vote with players x, y and z, the one with MacKinnon's stat line would still take it. It'd just be closer.
Tampas point leaders: Kuch 141, Point 88. Difference between these guys: 53 points.
Avs point leaders: Mackinnon 137, Rantanen 102. Difference between these guys: 35 points.
Yeah I'll give hart for Kuch.

Reactions: geebster

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I wasn’t one of those , I gave kuch props and congratulated him. I was happy someone other than mcdavid was gonna win it. Only to see Tampa fans just being generally obnoxious… why? I’m gonna guess because we beat them in the Stanley cup finals. @CanadianShark do you understand how?

And I’ll repeat myself here I don’t care about individual awards. I want a Stanley cup
You're drunk dude, go to bed.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Tampas point leaders: Kuch 141, Point 88. Difference between these guys: 53 points.
Avs point leaders: Mackinnon 137, Rantanen 102. Difference between these guys: 35 points.

Again, Kucherov’s lead is in assists, not unassisted goals. So he obviously is playing with guys that are scoring. Yes, he has a bigger gap to the #2 scorer on his team but he has a smaller gap down to the #4 and #5 scorers which negates it. If anything, he has a slight advantage here. Game isn’t played 2v2.

MacKinnon - 137
Rantanen - 102
Makar - 87
Drouin - 56
Mittelstadt - 56 (TDL acquisition and most of these points were in Buffalo)
Total - 438

Kucherov - 141
Point - 88
Stamkos - 77
Hedman - 76
Hagel- 72
Total - 454

Reactions: obZen and gary69

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Again, Kucherov’s lead is in assists, not unassisted goals. So he obviously is playing with guys that are scoring. Yes, he has a bigger gap to the #2 scorer on his team but he has a smaller gap down to the #4 and #5 scorers which negates it. If anything, he has a slight advantage here. Game isn’t played 2v2.

MacKinnon - 137
Rantanen - 102
Makar - 87
Drouin - 56
Mittelstadt - 56 (TDL acquisition and most of these points were in Buffalo)
Total - 438

Kucherov - 141
Point - 88
Stamkos - 77
Hedman - 76
Hagel- 72
Total - 454

Yea the number 2 scorer is such a lazy argument. Also, Rantanen’s production advantage on Point at ES is basically just a few secondary assists, and while he’s more productive on the PP, Kucherov also gets to play with Stamkos on the PP, who has clearly regressed at ES but is still an elite PP finisher.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
At this point I’d love to see Mathews win it just for Edmonton, Colorado and Tampa fans reactions. If he doesn’t then give it to Mcdavid to watch all other fan bases freak out.

No matter who wins it this year they deserve it.

• Wow
Reactions: TheStatican

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
He is not dealing with any injury. It is called load management
Why are you so intent on lying?

At this point I’d love to see Mathews win it just for Edmonton, Colorado and Tampa fans reactions. If he doesn’t then give it to Mcdavid to watch all other fan bases freak out.

No matter who wins it this year they deserve it.
I wouldn’t mind. I’d love to see Avs and Tampa reactions if that happened.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Geez.....I'm too tired to get back into this debate other than to say that's super lazy argument.....so maybe I'm the one being lazy

Reactions: TheStatican

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Thats one of the single most misleading and possibly even meaningless metrics I've ever seen. When Kucherov steps out on the ice does he only play with Point? Because last I checked hockey is a game that is almost always played with 5 positional players and never solely 2.

Just because the gap between and first and second leading scorers on a team is greater does not automatically mean that player had less offensive support. You need to consider the contributions of ALL of a players linemates not just one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad