MacKinnon for the Hart

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Its pretty close between MacKinnon and Kucherov and either one could be the "deserving" winner.

The amount of narrative pushing from both sides to discredit the other on this site is pretty hilarious. Both guys will go for 140+ and have been absolutely otherworldly. I am a bigger fan of MacKinnon personally so I hope he does win, but I also see the argument for Kuch. It should be a close vote

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
I'm sure this will be an insightful thread, and not one where the same things are regurgitated from the other thread.

Anyways, here's some crazy stats that kind of shows that Mackinnon seems to be impacting the Avs more than Kucherov is to the Lightning. (Numbers not counting last nights games):

Now obviously Mack plays more at 5v5 which can lead to better numbers, so here are the rate stats breakdown

And now the mind-boggling one. Goal differential at all strengths relative to the team (yes this will be heavily influenced by the fact that Mack plays PP but not PK, but it's the same for Kucherov. Also Tampa has a better PK% than Colorado):

So what Kucherov is doing, being so many points ahead of his next closest team is impressive, Mackinnon seems to be impacting the Avs when it comes to on/off splits.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If this is truly for the most valuble ”sadly” it’s easily Kucherov

Would like to see Mackinnon win though

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022

Easily Kucherov, based on what metric exactly? I can understand a subjective type argument, but if it’s “easily”, there must be some statistical metric to make it that obvious

Reactions: Sundinisagod

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007

I agree. Except they don’t give the Hart to someone that actually fits the definition.

For that reason, it’s gonna be Mac.

And I’m ok with that. Kuch is having an amazing season on paper but when you use the hated “watch the game” standard…my god he looks terrible often.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
MacKinnon had the lead on the last polling of the writers by a fairly decent margin. Since then, he’s expanded his goal lead a bit. I think Kucherov is running out of time to change their minds.

But in this race, you never know. Guys can score 4/5 per night.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I think you can't go wrong picking either one but of course as a Lightning fan I'm pulling for Kucherov. Having over 50 points more than the next guy on a playoff team, or any team, shouldn't happen. He's had 23 games with 3+ points while he's had 12 games with 0.

This team isn't even close to a playoff team without him.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I think you can't go wrong picking either one but of course as a Lightning fan I'm pulling for Kucherov. Having over 50 points more than the next guy on a playoff team, or any team, shouldn't happen. He's had 23 games with 3+ points while he's had 12 games with 0.

This team isn't even close to a playoff team without him.

This logic was wrong when Hall got it over Mack. Kuch is much better than Hall ever was, but Mackinnon has still been slightly more impactful overall this year

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Easily Kucherov, based on what metric exactly? I can understand a subjective type argument, but if it’s “easily”, there must be some statistical metric to make it that obvious

Because if this is truly for the most valuable player then it’s Kucherov hands down

Colorado is a superior team vs Tampa, Rantanen has +100 points in Colorado and Makar once again is in the Norris race

Meanwhile in Tampa Kucherov has a 53 points difference to 2nd best in Point, (Makar has more points than Point)

But this rarely goes to the player who’s truly the most valuable for his team and just who wins the points race wins the MVP

So no player has carried their team more than Kucherov this season (out of playoff teams)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad