Value of: Mackenzie Weegar

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What I can see being on the table from Ottawa

2023 first round pick (top ten protected)
Connor Brown
Austin Watson
Nick Holden
Erik Brannstrom
Lassi Thomson
Jacob Bernard Docker
One of our many young forwards who aren’t full time nhl players yet (Sokolov, Jarventie, Kastelic etc.)

I‘m not sure what Florida’s needs are, but I’m assuming Ottawa doesn’t trade for Weegar without an extension in place.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
leave Edmonton out unless Weegar is coming to Edmonton. I like Brown but no way would Edmonton give up a 1st + Puljujarvi for Brown and a 2nd in 2024.
Well ok that wasn't the deal I proposed. Edmonton fans are dreaming about what they think Connor Brown is worth. Welcome to being dissapointed.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Well ok that wasn't the deal I proposed. Edmonton fans are dreaming about what they think Connor Brown is worth. Welcome to being dissapointed.
Don’t want Brown anyway. We just got Kane back and should have room to add a solid middle 6 guy in FA tomorrow for nothing but money. What we do need is a solid top 4 dman… Weegar fits the bill perfectly.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Why is Florida considering this?

Many of us Panthers feel like a long term deal / a lot money for Weegar will be a mistake.

He has a lot brainfarts and they are getting more freaquent. We fear we'd have another Yandle / Matheson pylon in the makings.

Major problem dealing Weegar is that our defense is thin already.

We got two good dmen in Ekblad + Forsling. Montour is solid bottom pair dman. Then nothing

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
What I can see being on the table from Ottawa

2023 first round pick (top ten protected)
Connor Brown
Austin Watson
Nick Holden
Erik Brannstrom
Lassi Thomson
Jacob Bernard Docker
One of our many young forwards who aren’t full time nhl players yet (Sokolov, Jarventie, Kastelic etc.)

I‘m not sure what Florida’s needs are, but I’m assuming Ottawa doesn’t trade for Weegar without an extension in place.
Formenton likely available as well.

If Weegar comes with an extension to Ottawa, something like 5x5, Florida can probably get:
Brannstrom- Young top 6 D, probably can be resigned at 1.2M AAV or less, could develop into top 4 role.
Formenton- young great 3rd liner, can fill in 2nd line as well, should be signed at 2.5M aav or less
2023 2nd
Money in equivalent to money out for Florida, while adding an additional roster player at the same time.

If Florida insist on a 1st, then I think the following might work:
2023 1st top 10 protected/or 2024 1st+ Brannstrom + maybe a later round pick if needed to seal the deal.

If neither of those packages do it, then I'd rather just shoot for Chychrun

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Formenton likely available as well.

If Weegar comes with an extension to Ottawa, something like 5x5, Florida can probably get:
Brannstrom- Young top 6 D, probably can be resigned at 1.2M AAV or less, could develop into top 4 role.
Formenton- young great 3rd liner, can fill in 2nd line as well, should be signed at 2.5M aav or less
2023 2nd
Money in equivalent to money out for Florida, while adding an additional roster player at the same time.

If Florida insist on a 1st, then I think the following might work:
2023 1st top 10 protected/or 2024 1st+ Brannstrom + maybe a later round pick if needed to seal the deal.

If neither of those packages do it, then I'd rather just shoot for Chychrun

Weegar gonna want 6x6 at minimum imo

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
If this was all the extension cost, it would have been signed already with the Panthers...
Ok so 6aav? for 5 years? Not sure what his ask is, but I thought Florida had no cap space for much of a raise and that's why he could be dealt. Anything more than 6 is not worth it for him, especially with term.

Weegar gonna want 6x6 at minimum imo
If we can't get Chychrun I'd still do that, as long as we can fit it under our cap.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ok so 6aav? for 5 years? Not sure what his ask is, but I thought Florida had no cap space for much of a raise and that's why he could be dealt. Anything more than 6 is not worth it for him, especially with term.

If we can't get Chychrun I'd still do that, as long as we can fit it under our cap.

Florida gets Chych
Ottawa gets Weegar + something
Arizona gets picks + prospects

Everyone goes home happy

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Weegar been absolutely terrible in the playoffs, thought last year was due to Ekblad being out and that he was out of his depth, but was same story now again. Bad decision making and often out of position. If Panthers get paid like suggested by some here, they should accept it and run off with it.
He is not the smartest character…know a few people who went to high school with him

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He is not the smartest character…know a few people who went to high school with him

Most people are not the same at 28 as they were in High School either keep in mind. Most mature and develop. I don't know Weegar personally at all, but high school may be an interesting tidbit but definitely not a full character evaluation.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
You could say this about most of the players in the NHL.
Hockey IQ including the lack thereof is a big deal, especially in the POs. I thought this would sink the Avs in the POs after Girard went down and they had to play Jack Johnson but Bednar really managed how they used him and limited his minutes. Between that and Byram’s emergence, it was enough. But with a top 4 D-man like Weegar, that’s a really tough sell.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A 1st round pick would be absolutely necessary plus something else. A good prospect or good player. Maybe a 1st plus Brannstrom would be fair?

That trade is a good proposal to me

2023 1st round pick (OTT) (top-5 protected) + Erik Brannstrom

The protection would just be by principle. Adding Weegar would definitely make the Sens a very serious team for next season. Normally, nobody would be looking to trade a 2023 first but past incompetence makes it that they have to take big risks now. Can't afford to stay in the bottom. Have to make the playoffs or at least be very damn close.

Guess he’s not worth Weegar.

Worst timing of the year to get value in a trade (see : Pacioretty). GMs are still looking to get free wallets to improve their team. and with so many teams already against the cap and others rebuilding, it creates a buyer's market.

Most GMs care about assets (prospects/picks), so they will try to get a UFA before making a trade. Apparently Dorion is just not one of them. I doubt he has any notion of that actually. Which is weird for someone who has a manager position. lol I know.

Lololol sub 40 point forward versus top 15 Norris Trophy point getter

Sub 40 point forward? He has paced for 50+ pts (while being a matchup forward, so mostly ES+PK production) in each of the last 3 seasons. Covid is obviously a reason why full NHL seasons weren't completed... and Brown got his first injury in the NHL last season. I think it's fair to look at "pace" in his case...

Reactions: andora

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Weegar is pretty good, didn't like his playoffs. I'd rather get Chychrun, Marino, or Girard, but Weegar will cost less than them as he's UFA in 1 year.
The cost is probably Thompson or JBD plus a 2nd rounder. D always cost more than F.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Weegar is pretty good, didn't like his playoffs. I'd rather get Chychrun, Marino, or Girard, but Weegar will cost less than them as he's UFA in 1 year.
The cost is probably Thompson or JBD plus a 2nd rounder. D always cost more than F.
Guy has gotten Norris votes the past two years. He’s a top 35ish D-man in the NHL. A rough playoffs doesn’t change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad