Value of: MacKenzie Weegar... the "almost" forgotten man in the big trade?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I was looking at teams that would maybe be interested in acquiring him...

DET - Hronek + , only if they want to extend him and/or DET is a playoff team seeking a deadline rental

OTT - something based around Zaitsev + (Calgary says no) or Bernard-Docker +

TBL - Foote + . I made a thread, Tampa prefers to stick with Foote probably.

TOR - Muzzin + assets is what Toronto wants to do... Calgary maybe prefers Brodie? Toronto says no. Bad fit, I think

CBJ - something around Peeke + or Boqvist, probably only happens if Jarmo wants to extend Weegar

WAS - maybe Jensen+ ? Not sure if Washington actually has interest or not

DAL - They would want him but I don't know how to make the roster work. Hakanpää+ ? Colin Miller + makes more sense but they JUST signed him. Stars probably won't move Lindell here, MAYBE if Weegar is extending.

NAS - They would want him but cap would be tight and IDK what Nashville would be willing to give for only one year of Weegar.

WIN - Something around Dillon or mayyyybe Schmidt? Pionk? probably Dillon. I would even think Wheeler could be available here, but the Calgary likely doesn't want to add that much cap.

ANA - Interest from a roster perspective, especially if he extends, but I doubt they wamna spend picks and prospects for players at this stage. It's too early.

EDM - Something around Bouchard (Weegar extends) or Barrie. Just imagine that...

SEA - something around a forward, but Seattle is only interested if Weegar is extending.

VAN - Canucks are all over this if Flames are willing to do Myers + .

VGK - Maybe they want to add something to Martinez to upgrade? Or maybe not.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
To follow up my above post...

Teams NOT interested in Weegar

BOS is happy with McAvoy and Carlo at RHD in their top 4. Won't want to mess with it.

BUF could use a RHD, but they'd be looking to acquire one without giving up futures, or they would trade for a younger player with several years of team control.

FLO could use a guy like Weegar. LHD wjld be preferable though. I really doubt they trade for him after just trading him away this offseason.

MON roster needs a good RHD but Habs aren't interesting in building a roster right now. Tear it all down and build through youth. They could maybe look at signing Weegar as a UFA if they had the cap, but no trade will happen unless Calgary is silly enough to trade Weegar for Anderson or Gallagher or Dvorak. Which Treliving will not do.

CAR is comfortable with Pesce Burns at RHD in their top 4, at least for now.

NJD have Hamilton Marino Severson at RHD and Nemec signed his ELC. They don't need RHD at all.

NYI have Pulock Dobson Mayfield at RHD and no need whatsoever to add upgrade it or add a RHD at this time.

NYR have Fox Trouba Schneider at RHD amd no need to change it.

PHI have Ellis Ristolainen DeAngelo at RHD. They might wanna do Ellis or Ristolainen +, but Calgary won't have interest in that.

PIT have Letang Petry Rutta at RHD and no desire at this time to modify that

ARZ need RHD to be competitive, but they have no interest in trading picks or prospects to solve that right now. Also don't have any non-core forwards that Calgary would want for Weegar.

CHI has Jones and Murphy at RHD in their top 4. They could look at upgrading Murphy, but Calgary won't want that contract and Chicago won't spend picks or prospects on a one year contract at this time.

COL has Makar Manson and E Johnson at RHD. Even if they move Johnson out, which they might not, they'll be happy with Makar Manson in their top 4.

MIN has Dumba Spurgeon in their top 4. Dumba may or may not stay in Minnesota, but moving Dumba for Weegar seems like something neither team would likely want to do.

STL has Faulk Parayko in their top 4 and perfectly happy to keep it that way.

LAK have 5 RHD that should be playing every night, and only Spence is waiver exempt. They won't trade for RHD right now.

SJS could maybe use Weegar on their roster, but they won't spend big cap OR assets on adding a veteran D right now. Karlsson and Vlasic contracts and their current re-tool / rebuild ideology means they won't want Weegar.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dude finishes 8th in Norris voting and is “arguably” a top-pair defenseman?
Previous season lead NHL d men in even strength points. He has also played more LD the last two seasons than RD. So saying a team wont want him because they are set on RD is erroneous. Another aspect that makes him incredibly valuable. I can't imagine Calgary trades him he will be at the very least the 2nd best d man on the team. I'd take him over Anderson personally.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
BUF could use a RHD, but they'd be looking to acquire one without giving up futures, or they would trade for a younger player with several years of team control.
Buffalo's talent pipeline is pretty deep and they're ready to exit the asset acquisition phase of their rebuild. I think they'd be interested in Weegar, but they already have Dahlin, Power who each project to earn more than $8M+ in a couple of years, plus Samuelsson who projects at around $5M. If Weegar was looking for $7M long-term, he's more likely to get it somewhere else.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I was looking at teams that would maybe be interested in acquiring him...

DET - Hronek + , only if they want to extend him and/or DET is a playoff team seeking a deadline rental

OTT - something based around Zaitsev + (Calgary says no) or Bernard-Docker +

TBL - Foote + . I made a thread, Tampa prefers to stick with Foote probably.

TOR - Muzzin + assets is what Toronto wants to do... Calgary maybe prefers Brodie? Toronto says no. Bad fit, I think

CBJ - something around Peeke + or Boqvist, probably only happens if Jarmo wants to extend Weegar

WAS - maybe Jensen+ ? Not sure if Washington actually has interest or not

DAL - They would want him but I don't know how to make the roster work. Hakanpää+ ? Colin Miller + makes more sense but they JUST signed him. Stars probably won't move Lindell here, MAYBE if Weegar is extending.

NAS - They would want him but cap would be tight and IDK what Nashville would be willing to give for only one year of Weegar.

WIN - Something around Dillon or mayyyybe Schmidt? Pionk? probably Dillon. I would even think Wheeler could be available here, but the Calgary likely doesn't want to add that much cap.

ANA - Interest from a roster perspective, especially if he extends, but I doubt they wamna spend picks and prospects for players at this stage. It's too early.

EDM - Something around Bouchard (Weegar extends) or Barrie. Just imagine that...

SEA - something around a forward, but Seattle is only interested if Weegar is extending.

VAN - Canucks are all over this if Flames are willing to do Myers + .

VGK - Maybe they want to add something to Martinez to upgrade? Or maybe not.
Why are the Flames doing any of these junk trades. They all involve Weegar for a worse and older dman.

Calgary is either signing him or trading him for a large futures package or possibly one really nice forward, that is equally young. Lol Muzzin. Almost all of these dmen you've listed Calgary would not take unless a 1st+ was added.

Reactions: Bond

Bond

May 10, 2012
Why are the Flames doing any of these junk trades. They all involve Weegar for a worse and older dman.

Calgary is either signing him or trading him for a large futures package or possibly one really nice forward, that is equally young. Lol Muzzin. Almost all of these dmen you've listed Calgary would not take unless a 1st+ was added.
Lol all cap dump trades

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lol all cap dump trades

A cap dump trade is fine, as Calgary may be rebuilding. But if a team is asking for Weegar plus sending back a cap dump, the price is going to be massive. The cost of unloading cap is immense right now.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area

Those aren't trade proposals,, they're players that would need to be involved for roster and or cap reasons for the other team to have interest. I didn't mention anything about what the other team would add... it could be four 1st round picks for all we know. Depending on the add, Flames could be interested in a lot of those frameworks.

The purpose of the post was to figure out which team Weegar could go to and which D might come back the other way in a package.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Those aren't trade proposals,, they're players that would need to be involved for roster and or cap reasons for the other team to have interest. I didn't mention anything about what the other team would add... it could be four 1st round picks for all we know. Depending on the add, Flames could be interested in a lot of those frameworks.

The purpose of the post was to figure out which team Weegar could go to and which D might come back the other way in a package.

I just don't see it happening. No team is going to pay the price to move out a multi year $5+ million contract and the price for Weegar, which should be similar to what Hampus Lindholm received. You're talking about multiple firsts and 2nds. Yes. The Flames would be interested in that. if they are rebuilding.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Flames would be interested in that. if they are rebuilding.
Flames could also move Weegar out and then use their now-deeper prospect pick pool to add Provorov, Sanheim, Chychrun, Girard or Martinez. There are multi-trade scenarios where Flames do this but also aren't rebuilding.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Flames could also move Weegar out and then use their now-deeper prospect pick pool to add Provorov, Sanheim, Chychrun, Girard or Martinez. There are multi-trade scenarios where Flames do this but also aren't rebuilding.
If the Flames aren't rebuilding, they are likely holding onto Weegar. The idea that they can move him out and just easily replace him with another top 4 is not really easily feasible. If it was that easy, the Flames should just move out everyone for futures, and replace them all in a year.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If the Flames aren't rebuilding, they are likely holding onto Weegar. The idea that they can move him out and just easily replace him with another top 4 is not really easily feasible. If it was that easy, the Flames should just move out everyone for futures, and replace them all in a year.
It's not extremely easy but it's quite possible. Weegar is likely not a Dman that Treliving was specifically targeting to bolster the blueline. More likely, it was a valuable and low-commitment moveable asset that he couldn't say no to. For all we know, Treliving thinks Provorov or Girard (who both have more than 1 year left on their deals) are a good partner for Andersson / Tanev, and would make more sense in trying to go for a multi-year deep playoff run. Might be the case, might not be, but I see it as being very possible.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
You're barkong at the wrong tree. The forgotten man of the summer is hands down Dylan Coghlan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad