Value of: MacKenzie Weegar... the "almost" forgotten man in the big trade?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Everyone is talking about Jonny Huberdeau but there's not much talk going on about 28 year old RD/LD MacKenzie Weegar (8 goals/ 36 assists), arguably a top pairing defenseman. And, between Huberdeau and Weegar, Weegar seems to be the consensus most likely to sign an extension with the Flames.

Last year the Flames had a very good defense with their Hanifin-Andersson, Kylington-Tanev, Zadorov-Gudbranson pairings. Erik Gudbranson (6 goals/ 11 assists) is gone now but Weegar is definitely an upgrade. I don't know which line he'll slide into but I'll be very surprised to see him take Gudbranson's old spot on the 3rd line. Maybe he'll become Tanev's d-man partner with Kylington sliding down to play with Zadorov?

Last year the Flames finished 3rd in league standings in GA and 5th in league standings in SA. With Weegar now part of a stacked D core I don't expect to see any decline in the Flames defensive game. Weegar, a prospect, and a 1st rnd draft pick on its own is probably a decent return for Tkachuk given the spot that Treliving was in and the limited teams that Treliving could work a deal with that was acceptable to Tkachuk as well as the Flames.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He's literally the piece that could win the trade for Calgary long term if both re-sign.
The 1st + prospect were the cherry/extra insurance in case they both left.

Weird thread

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I mean….when your trade involves two 100pt players, they’re probably gonna get mentioned first. However I don’t think anyone has “forgotten” Weegar.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
As a rental at the deadline I assume he's worth at least a 1st and B prospect. If he were traded today I'm not sure why he's worth that much more. Maybe if Calgary retains 50% they could get a major piece from a cap strapped team today that they wouldn't at the deadline. Something like the Tyson Barrie / Nazem Kadri trade.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Good player but the Flames had a solid top-4 last year. I’m guessing this also might mean the end of Mackey as a part of the Flames organization. I thought he might be a decent bottom-pairing guy next year.

I’m wondering if the Flames deal a defenceman now. If not then who gets bumped to the bottom pair? It won’t be Tanev, Anderson, Hanifin or Weegar so I guess Kylington? Seems like a waste to have him there.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He was excellent two seasons ago. Much less so last year. Still a great offensive play driver but pretty mediocre defensively - with bad decisions at bad times creating alarming errors. Spare me the “oh five playoff games doesn’t mean anything” nonsense. Go and review GDT threads in the Panthers section all season long - even when Weegar was stacking up points people were complaining about his play overall.

He’s certainly a top pair guy if two years ago is his standard. Definitely not if last year is who he is moving forward - at least not a guy I’d trust on my top pairing. He needs to reign in his decision making though if he wants to get back to that level. Tanev could be an ideal partner.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yeah, he's recognized by the PHWA and he's been an analytics darling for years now. Everyone knows who he is and how good he is.
He is the surprising player for me in the trade. I haven't watched much of him but totally assumed he was a throw in when I first saw the trade lol

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Good player but the Flames had a solid top-4 last year. I’m guessing this also might mean the end of Mackey as a part of the Flames organization. I thought he might be a decent bottom-pairing guy next year.

I’m wondering if the Flames deal a defenceman now. If not then who gets bumped to the bottom pair? It won’t be Tanev, Anderson, Hanifin or Weegar so I guess Kylington? Seems like a waste to have him there.
While Tanev is recovering from his surgery I think Weegar will play with Kylington. I think Weegar will play the left side with Tanev, when he gets back.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kylington then pairing up with Zadorov.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He was excellent two seasons ago. Much less so last year. Still a great offensive play driver but pretty mediocre defensively - with bad decisions at bad times creating alarming errors. Spare me the “oh five playoff games doesn’t mean anything” nonsense. Go and review GDT threads in the Panthers section all season long - even when Weegar was stacking up points people were complaining about his play overall.

He’s certainly a top pair guy if two years ago is his standard. Definitely not if last year is who he is moving forward - at least not a guy I’d trust on my top pairing. He needs to reign in his decision making though if he wants to get back to that level. Tanev could be an ideal partner.

It's a bit of a problem, that players like Weegar (and Manson) have. They have breakout offensive seasons, and suddenly their game changes, to focus more on the offense. He's a really good D, and one that I'd love to have on my team, but he's probably best simplifying his game, and not being the one to attempt to carry the offense.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Dude finishes 8th in Norris voting and is “arguably” a top-pair defenseman?
There are always fans who want to argue... particularly if they aren't a fan of the team that the player plays for.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think it's important to note how Sutter uses his D. There's no first pairing getting far more minutes. Often our 3 pairings play roughly the same level. I wouldn't be shocked if Weegar starts on the "third pairing", but just ends up getting roughly the same amount of minutes as the other two pairings. Seeing the same pairings as last year, but with Weegar with Zadorov could happen.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I agree and I think that's who he'll end up playing with once Tanev is healthy.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

If anything it's Valimaki who seems more likely to be done

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If anything it's Valimaki who seems more likely to be done
I agree. He just can't seem to get out of the doghouse and I don't think he was that impressive while playing in Stockton or maybe he was... I don't know as I didn't watch any Stockton games last year. I can read a score sheet though and he wasn't exactly dominating in that aspect... or at least not the way he was in the Swedish Hockey League.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00