Mackenzie to Florida

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Out of curiosity, what's his CORSI numbers. Surely an irreplaceable guy who does everything right will have a high one, correct?

Whatever.

If the value of the stat of goals per minute escapes you, then so be it.

Last edited:

IHeartZherdev*

Acting like goals per minute is some advanced stat makes you look like a fool. It's goals per minute, get it? It's a better indicator of goal scoring ability than goals are, for ***** sakes.

So we should have doubled D Mac's ice time and cut Brandon Dubinsky's and we would've beaten the Pens right?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So we should have doubled D Mac's ice time and cut Brandon Dubinsky's and we would've beaten the Pens right?

Moving-The-Goalposts.jpg

thebus2288*

Nice, more numbers that "prove" something that completely isn't true. Like I've said in the past about other players and points per minute played and whatever. The amount of ice time(both little TOI and high TOI) have a huge role in these "numbers". To suggest that Mackenzie is better at ANYTHING over Dubinsky or Calvert(-faceoffs) is simply ridiculous. Nevermind talking about point production or offensive impact. Also there seems to be some myth that Mackenzie and Letestu were out the for all these defensive zone starts and PK time...that also not true at all. If anything these guys had easier matchups with other teams 3rd and 4th lines.

There's all this talk about having no need for Boll because we have toughness throughout the lineup. Its actually more true when it comes to Mackenzie and what he brings to the team. He can skate fast and wind up for slappers whenever he gets to the puck and that's what WOW's all you guys? His missed checks have to be on par with Boll, I don't have the /60 numbers I'll leave that to you guys. Sure he's good defensively, but is he really any better defensively than our other 3-4 centers who are clearly better than him offensively. I'd take Dubi, Johan and AA all ahead of him on the PK. Maybe Letestu, him and Mack are completely different players though. Not to mention Foligno, Calvert, Jenner are all capable to provide what Mackenzie does on both ends of the ice. Besides speed, Chaput is also an upgrade at this point over Mackenzie. More so than Boll's toughness, the things Mackenzie brings are spread all throughout our lineup.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Besides speed, Chaput is also an upgrade at this point over Mackenzie. More so than Boll's toughness, the things Mackenzie brings are spread all throughout our lineup.

Not at all.

The 4th line center position is an important position that has its job requirements just like 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line center. It's not just "less talented" individuals who play on the 4th line.

The 4th line brings speed, physicality, forecheck, and sometimes secondary scoring. Derek Mackenzie did all of those things. Michael Chaput in his time up did none of those things. Chaput looked weak on the puck, he didn't play physically, he lost face-offs, and frankly even if Mackenzie were here I don't feel like he belongs in the NHL. He looked like a guy who tops out at the AHL.

I feel better about now having Gibbons, but we don't want to have to spread out the responsibilities that Mackenzie carried through the rest of the roster. It's better to have one guy who takes care of those things. Every minute that Mackenzie got was another hard minute that guys like Johansen and Anisimov didn't need to take so they could focus on offense.

When talking about 4th line center, there's a prototype you want and Mackenzie is exactly that to a tee. Letting him go over a million dollars or so is an unnecessary risk that Jarmo took.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not at all.

The 4th line center position is an important position that has its job requirements just like 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line center. It's not just "less talented" individuals who play on the 4th line.

The 4th line brings speed, physicality, forecheck, and sometimes secondary scoring. Derek Mackenzie did all of those things. Michael Chaput in his time up did none of those things. Chaput looked weak on the puck, he didn't play physically, he lost face-offs, and frankly even if Mackenzie were here I don't feel like he belongs in the NHL. He looked like a guy who tops out at the AHL.

I feel better about now having Gibbons, but we don't want to have to spread out the responsibilities that Mackenzie carried through the rest of the roster. It's better to have one guy who takes care of those things. Every minute that Mackenzie got was another hard minute that guys like Johansen and Anisimov didn't need to take so they could focus on offense.

When talking about 4th line center, there's a prototype you want and Mackenzie is exactly that to a tee. Letting him go over a million dollars or so is an unnecessary risk that Jarmo took.

well 1st off Chaput is 22.... 2nd Letestu took more faceoffs then MacKenzie and was basically % on the draw

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If Chaput forced his way on the team I think that might simply move Letestu to wing and provide two.players who can take draws on the 4th line. DMac will certainly be missed but I believe we can replace his value on and off the ice. There will be an adjustment but this team is solid. Still wish he were signed but....

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Nice, more numbers that "prove" something that completely isn't true. Like I've said in the past about other players and points per minute played and whatever. The amount of ice time(both little TOI and high TOI) have a huge role in these "numbers". To suggest that Mackenzie is better at ANYTHING over Dubinsky or Calvert(-faceoffs) is simply ridiculous. Nevermind talking about point production or offensive impact. Also there seems to be some myth that Mackenzie and Letestu were out the for all these defensive zone starts and PK time...that also not true at all. If anything these guys had easier matchups with other teams 3rd and 4th lines.

Goals does not take into account ice-time. Goals per minute does.
It's the exact opposite of the point you're making.:laugh:

There's all this talk about having no need for Boll because we have toughness throughout the lineup. Its actually more true when it comes to Mackenzie and what he brings to the team. He can skate fast and wind up for slappers whenever he gets to the puck and that's what WOW's all you guys? His missed checks have to be on par with Boll, I don't have the /60 numbers I'll leave that to you guys. Sure he's good defensively, but is he really any better defensively than our other 3-4 centers who are clearly better than him offensively. I'd take Dubi, Johan and AA all ahead of him on the PK. Maybe Letestu, him and Mack are completely different players though. Not to mention Foligno, Calvert, Jenner are all capable to provide what Mackenzie does on both ends of the ice. Besides speed, Chaput is also an upgrade at this point over Mackenzie. More so than Boll's toughness, the things Mackenzie brings are spread all throughout our lineup.

Yeah we have other guys who can do what he does, but so what? Its still a good thing to have, and at little cost at $1.3m. When other teams complain about not being able to get away from the tenacious rats on the Jackets, they're talking about Mackenzie, Calvert, etc.. That's a good thing to have throughout the lineup. If a few other guys are like Mackenzie, that doesn't replace him, because you want everyone to have his positive qualities.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Hate to see D-mac go. A guy that busted his tail and was productive in his limited minutes (we've had plenty of guys in our teams history of guys that could get minutes and not play hard, or would play hard and just flat out not be productive).
But at same time I realize guys like D-mac are a dime a dozen. It's nothing against him, I wish him well and I hope whoever takes his spot can play hard AND be productive.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Hate to see D-mac go. A guy that busted his tail and was productive in his limited minutes (we've had plenty of guys in our teams history of guys that could get minutes and not play hard, or would play hard and just flat out not be productive).
But at same time I realize guys like D-mac are a dime a dozen. It's nothing against him, I wish him well and I hope whoever takes his spot can play hard AND be productive.

In price, yes. Is it easy to find a fourth line c/w who is as effective as he is? No. We've learned that over the last 15 years.

IHeartZherdev*

Not at all.

I like how you are saying Chaput has "topped out" at the AHL level at age 22 when your boy D Mac didn't even crack a regular NHL lineup until he was around 30.

Also, the argument that "Every minute that Mackenzie got was another hard minute that guys like Johansen and Anisimov didn't need to take so they could focus on offense" is beyond ridiculous. Fourth liners get fourth line minutes, first liners get first line minutes. Trying to give D Mac any sort of credit for Johansens ice time or success is reach at best.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
In price, yes. Is it easy to find a fourth line c/w who is as effective as he is? No. We've learned that over the last 15 years.

$1.3M per year for 3 years for an aging player? Sorry I like Dmac but glad we didn't pay that.
Maybe he's worth that for 1 year, maybe even 2 but no use in tying up any 4th line spot for multiple years. That was an IDWT type of move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad