Recalled/Assigned: Mackenzie MacEachern recalled for playoff run

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not a particularly bold move. If he plays, he probably won't kill them at any time, but probably won't do much either.

I guess we're just bringing him up for the physical presence. He has 30 points in 37 AHL games this year (11G, 19A). Has played 115 games with the Blues with an additional 5 NHL playoff games under his belt. But if he plays, I wouldn't expect much from him offensively at all. Only 19 points in his 120 games in the NHL.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
St. Louis watching MacEachern in the playoffs:

247b35d7-eb86-4234-bc3f-54b2b5ef5a4b_text.gif

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don't mind him as it makes some sense, I just wish they would reward a few youngsters as black aces at least.

Seems like it would make sense to already have a group of 3-5 Wolves already up with the big team, especially since the Wolves not being in the playoffs. With a group already here, they can get in practices, stay in game shape at team facilities, etc.

Was MacEachern still skating a week or so after the AHL season ended? If not, what sort of shape is he in? Right now he’s the only healthy extra they have up front. What happens if they lose another F or 2 tomorrow?

They’re covered a bit better on the back-end with Coghlan and de Haan, but to me, it would seem to behoove them to already have a number of forwards practicing and in shape with the team already, especially if their minor league season is done.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
MACKENZIE MACEACHERN
SCOUTING REPORT

Has a big frame and sound work ethic (few players are able to outhustle him on the ice). However, he can get outmuscled at times at the highest level, so he could stand to add more bulk and strength. A solid scorer in the NCAA ranks, he has become more of a role player since turning pro. Coaches love his workmanlike approach to the game of hockey.

Long Range Potential: Decent depth winger.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

Mackenzie MacEachern

Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Mar 9 1994 -- Bloomfield, MI
[29 yrs. ago]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 193 lbs
Drafted by St. Louis
- round 3 #67 overall
2012 NHL Entry Draft
2012-13Chicago SteelUSHL50Gms8G13A21Pts35-11----------
2013-14Michigan State UniversityBig-1036841214
2014-15Michigan State UniversityBig-103511152610-1
2015-16Michigan State UniversityBig-1037GMs14G16A30Pts20-19
2016-17Chicago WolvesAHL55561189102134
2017-18Chicago WolvesAHL46641025-4----------
2018-19San Antonio RampageAHL339716182----------
2018-19St. Louis BluesNHL29325100----------
2019-20St. Louis BluesNHL51731033250006
2020-21St. Louis BluesNHL2111283----------
2021-22St. Louis BluesNHL140224-1----------
2021-22Springfield ThunderbirdsAHL471213255131867136
2022-23Chicago WolvesAHL37Gms11G19A30Pts128

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Mackenzie's played 115 NHL for the Blues.
He's 29 and a solid checker.
Wiki:

On January 10, 2019, MacEachern was recalled by the Blues.[11] He made his NHL debut that night, skating seven shifts in a 4-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens.[12][13] On January 25, he scored his first career NHL goal in a 4–3 win over the Los Angeles Kings.[14] On February 9, 2019, the Blues signed MacEachern to a one-year, one-way contract extension.[15] The Blues won the 2019 Stanley Cup, although MacEachern did not skate in any playoff games.[16] However, MacEachern did receive his day with the trophy.[17]

On April 17, 2020, the Blues signed MacEachern to a two-year, $1.8 million contract extension.[18]

As a free agent from the Blues, MacEachern was signed to a one-year, two-way contract with the Carolina Hurricanes on July 15, 2022

Reactions: Sigurd

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Seems like it would make sense to already have a group of 3-5 Wolves already up with the big team, especially since the Wolves not being in the playoffs. With a group already here, they can get in practices, stay in game shape at team facilities, etc.

Was MacEachern still skating a week or so after the AHL season ended? If not, what sort of shape is he in? Right now he’s the only healthy extra they have up front. What happens if they lose another F or 2 tomorrow?

They’re covered a bit better on the back-end with Coghlan and de Haan, but to me, it would seem to behoove them to already have a number of forwards practicing and in shape with the team already, especially if their minor league season is done.
yeah this is what has me confused as to why we didn't call up more guys since the AHL season is done.

I like the Mac callup since size and might be a viable fighting fire with fire option. But I think we need guys like Rees, Pono, Suzuki up as well getting reps as a "5th line" in practice right now with the rate of attrition we've had.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Is there a roster number limitation in the playoffs? Only downside in bringing everyone up would be sharing practice ice time.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I get it, he's the SAFE callup to have as the 12/13F with Poolparty...but seriously, I'd rather give Rees, Pono, or Suzuki a chance to make themselves known in the playoffs. Seems better to put one of them in now when we're up 2-0 against the Isles than when we're down 3-2 against someone like NYR/BOS and hanging on for dear life. Chances are minimal they'd "cost" us a game, but you don't want to try one of them out in a do-or-die type game. Put in JP to take some of the defensive/PK responsibility that TT had, and give a youngster the Stastny/Stepan spot for a game, it's not like a rookie could produce much less than those 2 (even combined)

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Dundon so cheap doesn't want to pay ahlers nhl salary.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Is there a roster number limitation in the playoffs? Only downside in bringing everyone up would be sharing practice ice time.
No salary cap, no roster limit
Dundon so cheap doesn't want to pay ahlers nhl salary.

I don’t think they’d be on the hook for any salary. I’ve always thought that players weren’t paid in the playoffs. They get paid their salaries throughout the regular season. They may get some extra bonuses depending on performance and if their contract permits it, but they’re no longer getting a regular paycheck as far as I know.

Maybe they too cheap to pay for a hotel?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No salary cap, no roster limit

I don’t think they’d be on the hook for any salary. I’ve always thought that players weren’t paid in the playoffs. They get paid their salaries throughout the regular season. They may get some extra bonuses depending on performance and if their contract permits it, but they’re no longer getting a regular paycheck as far as I know.

Maybe they too cheap to pay for a hotel?
I believe everything you said there is correct.

I wonder if the ramifications on the tweener's QO might be one reason: if you *play* enough NHL games, at some point you can't be QOed with a two-way contract anymore. Playoff games apparently count (and logically should obviously):

A Club's Qualifying Offer must be a One-Way Qualifying Offer if the applicable Player has: (A) actually played (excluding games missed for injury, illness or disability) 180 or more NHL Games in the previous three (3) NHL Seasons, (B) played at least sixty (60) NHL Games in the previous NHL Season, and (C) not cleared Waivers in the period between the 12th day prior to the commencement of the previous Regular Season and the end of a Club's previous Playing Season. For purposes hereof only, a goaltender is deemed to have played an NHL Game when he was dressed and on the bench as a backup. In all other cases, a Qualifying Offer may be a Two-Way Qualifying Offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad