Value of: MacDermid to Montreal

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Both Reeves and Lucic are easily top 5 fighters in the league. Please tell me who is better.

Lucic just destroyed the guy who most people thought was the toughest player in the league.

Brian McGrattan was the best fighter in the league from 2012 until his last game in 2015 when he was 34 years old. Age didn't seem to slow him down much fighting wise.

Since that time Lucic has pretty much taken over, besides losing a close fight to McDermid last year he's practically unbeaten. Reeves has very few losses as well. They are feared as much as anyone else in the league. To say different is simply ignorant.

Xhekaj is a pretty tough kid, I'll guess we'll find out if he can handle Lucic and/or Reaves in a few months.

Lucic is useless. Reeves probably even more useless. They are on their respective teams to ensure players don't take liberties on their stars. They are there to keep players like Xhekaj honest. Not the other way around.

Xhekaj doesn't need to fight unless he's standing up for a teammate. Lucic / Reeves are too slow to cause any havoc. I doubt either plays more than 6 minutes / game.

Bruins signed Lucic for nostalgia reasons - he will retire after this season.
Leafs overpaid for Reeves out of panic because Marner / Matthews were getting abuse. But that won't change with Reeves in the lineup.

Enforcers like Macdermid / Lucic / Reeves who are useless are pointless. Enforcers who can actually play the game are valued. Xhekaj falls in the latter category.

Reactions: 12ozPapa

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Most Avs fans would probably give you MacDermid for a Big Mac, Large order of fries and a medium soda
I'd take the empty used bag after the GM is done eating.

Way too often MacDermid was the primary cause of a goal being scored. His skating is just awful and I have no clue why a team would expose themselves on D like that. In one game he let something named Karson Kuhlman just cruise by him and score a GWG. You could see it coming, in every shift in the second half of the game he was just panic defending and having guys cruise around him. Why was he in the game? So he could go fight Oleksiak in the first period. Just worthless ECHL quality stuff.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Lucic is useless. Reeves probably even more useless. They are on their respective teams to ensure players don't take liberties on their stars. They are there to keep players like Xhekaj honest. Not the other way around.

Xhekaj doesn't need to fight unless he's standing up for a teammate. Lucic / Reeves are too slow to cause any havoc. I doubt either plays more than 6 minutes / game.

Leafs overpaid for Reeves out of panic because Marner / Matthews were getting abuse. But that won't change with Reeves in the lineup.

Enforcers like Macdermid / Lucic / Reeves who are useless are pointless. Enforcers who can actually play the game are valued. Xhekaj falls in the latter category.
That's hilarious coming from someone who has Michael Pezzetta on their team. Lucic just won the World Championships with Canada playing lots of minutes and has multiple 20 goal seasons. Not to mention he along with Reaves and McDermid win most of their fights, too bad you can't say the same for Pezzetta.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Wrong. Enforcers even if they are terrible hockey players offer protection for the young players and stars. Habs aren't winning anything this year. it is completely irrelevant if they have an enforcer on the 4th line who is a poor hockey player as long as the goon can win a fight and will protect his teammates. Pezetta can't beat up a pillow so unless Laracque trains him well he is useless in that role.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think Xhekaj has any concerns whatsoever about dropping the gloves with Reeves and Lucic. They are both old men and they are not bigger than he is.

I suspect Reeves and Lucic are more concerned about having to deal with Xhekaj than the other way around.

Reeves and Lucic are at the end of their careers well past the date where they were the feared fighters in the league, get serious.
You're kidding, right?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Wrong. Enforcers even if they are terrible hockey players offer protection for the young players and stars. Habs aren't winning anything this year. it is completely irrelevant if they have an enforcer on the 4th line who is a poor hockey player as long as the goon can win a fight and will protect his teammates. Pezetta can't beat up a pillow so unless Laracque trains him well he is useless in that role.
Enforcers who can’t play hockey are liabilities.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Maybr the first post i mentioned this is invisible...

Mailioux can chuck them and he's a big guy. If he's in the lineup it wont because he can fight, it will be for his offensive prowess.

Anderson can fight too.

That's 4 bonafied fighters of which two are pretty big, one real heavyweight and a middleweight pest. More importantly, they are there to play, not fight.

This is a useless thread that really doesn't apply to the Habs.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Habs could use a face puncher in a beefed up Atlantic to keep Xhekaj away from the biggest dogs. What would it take to get him out of Colorado? Wideman + depth prospect? Late pick?
Send the Avs a 4th (yours or another teams you own) and we’re good.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
That's all well and good, and probably nobody would deny that he's a good story. And it's certainly possible he develops into something more, as by all accounts he's a very hard worker. But *right now*, he is not a good NHL defenseman, and no amount of fan love because he hits and fights changes that.
Right now he's twice as good as Lucic/Reaves and can also drop them when he needs to.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The people who watch him play hockey think he's good yes
People who watch hockey, or Habs fans? These are clearly not the same thing...

Horrific xGF%, second worst on the team, so it's not just about being on a bad team. He's possibly one of the most sheltered D-Men in the NHL last year and nearly everyone on the team is better when they are not on the ice with him.

1692568544775.png

1692568701361.png

1692568673677.png

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Maybr the first post i mentioned this is invisible...

Mailioux can chuck them and he's a big guy. If he's in the lineup it wont because he can fight, it will be for his offensive prowess.

Anderson can fight too.

That's 4 bonafied fighters of which two are pretty big, one real heavyweight and a middleweight pest. More importantly, they are there to play, not fight.

This is a useless thread that really doesn't apply to the Habs.
Are they? Funny they were comfortably top 10 in fights. Lots of legit fights and then some swinging down fights due to clean hits and whatnot. I did like seeing Gudbranson manhandle Pezzetta and even going back to watch it again after he tried to act tough against a non fighter with concussion issues in Byram

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Are they? Funny they were comfortably top 10 in fights. Lots of legit fights and then some swinging down fights due to clean hits and whatnot. I did like seeing Gudbranson manhandle Pezzetta and even going back to watch it again after he tried to act tough against a non fighter with concussion issues in Byram
If Byram did something wrong then he deserves what he gets.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you have a complaint about how a fight went on, send a complaint email to Hughes.

The thread is about adding a useless plug to a team that has no need for one.

This isn't the Midget Habs team of the esrly 2000s.

Reactions: ole ole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad