MacDermid-Need or Liability

Is he more of a need, liability, or somewhere in between?

• Total voters

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think Big Mac is more of a need this year than not.

7th dman-selective starts
Locker room glue guy
Protection-Especially for rookies

Seems to be the new whipping boy. Just curious where most of us stand on him.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
He is fine as a 7th D to rotate in once in a while, but I would rather give playing time to Clague who a better puck mover and is young with potential. MacD is a pylon out there and is only good for fighting. Or if someone can go on their off wing I would like to see Strand in the lineup.

Reactions: funky and LAKings88

rc838

Sep 27, 2019
He's doing exactly as needed this season as he did last being a tough-guy 7th d-man. Difference being last season we had Ryan and Hutton to bash on and this season people want all the prospects in, anything else be damned. Not saying Clague and Strand haven't earned their looks but there's obviously a plan regarding asset management/expansion draft that influences the lineup. As a result, MacD has seen either direct or indirect blame for this despite giving us no more and no less than what he's always provided.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
This topic has been beaten to death but I suppose another place to have it doesn't hurt.

Had Maata not been so awful from the drop we wouldn't have needed to see him as much. As it is, he plays a role for the time being but is seemingly the reverse of previous year where they had a winning record with him in the line up. Coincidence they're losing now but finally starting to stand up for each other? Who knows, I don't lose sleep over him being in the line up but the GAA will get old as they have for some already. Clague and Strand will have their chance again but I'm fine seeing MacD in the lineup when needed since this team can't seem to gather their own balls without him.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I’m too lazy to look it up but I’m interested in seeing how many times Mac is paired with Quick this year. What the records are in relation to both goalies.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I’m too lazy to look it up but I’m interested in seeing how many times Mac is paired with Quick this year. What the records are in relation to both goalies.
At even strength, MacDermid has been on the ice for 10 goals for and 9 goals against the Kings while Cal Petersen is on the ice, but 1 goal for and 10 goals against while Jonathan Quick is in net (in 69 minutes!). Wrap your head around that last stat.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
At even strength, MacDermid has been on the ice for 10 goals for and 9 goals against the Kings while Cal Petersen is on the ice, but 1 goal for and 10 goals against while Jonathan Quick is in net (in 69 minutes!). Wrap your head around that last stat.
About even for Cal and a shit show with Quick. Even isn’t good either. Management needs to weigh that. I know the players love him but does that justify poor performance.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

That's pretty wild. One could argue that this is still more of a MacD stat than a Quick stat, if they wanted.

He is a liability but he is also an accepted liability for the other things he brings to the table. Intangibles get mocked a lot--and they deserve to be sometimes--but he brings a lot to this culture rebuild off the ice with the coaching staff and Management going out of their way to say so.

Another guy that was spoken of similarly was Lizotte. I respect him for making it to the NHL at his size and for the effort he puts in but I've never been high on him as a guy that will be part of this team once it is legit. His season is f***ing horrible but everyone loves the plucky small guy that tries hard--although every small guy looks like they are tying harder since they have more strides than everyone else--but everyone hates the giant because he looks bad doing anything even when it is a good play. That said, I'm not going to lose sleep that Lizotte is getting minutes and a guy like Lias A isn't even though I'd rather see the latter in the lineup: I know that this team still has some placeholders on it. MacD is one of them and he will be removed from the lineup in time: everyone needs to stop dreaming of Cup contention this season and chill out on the huge #6/7 defenseman problem. We've got bigger issues like 5v5 play, secondary scoring, blueline offense etc.

Reactions: LAKings88

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
This topic has been beaten to death but I suppose another place to have it doesn't hurt.

Had Maata not been so awful from the drop we wouldn't have needed to see him as much. As it is, he plays a role for the time being but is seemingly the reverse of previous year where they had a winning record with him in the line up. Coincidence they're losing now but finally starting to stand up for each other? Who knows, I don't lose sleep over him being in the line up but the GAA will get old as they have for some already. Clague and Strand will have their chance again but I'm fine seeing MacD in the lineup when needed since this team can't seem to gather their own balls without him.
The quality of this post is only surpassed by your awesome username.

Well said Squirties!

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think there's something to be said for having a physical presence on the blueline. The rest of the roster is completely devoid of what MacDermid brings to the table. He's fulfilling his role getting games in here and there. I certainly don't think we should pin the loss against the Sharks the other night on him, but we also can't look past his deficiencies in his foot speed and decision making.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nothing new from me, he's not on the roster of a competitive team at all.

But on this team, his presence is a welcome boost, even when the butterfly effects result in Ls.

I will continue to criticize him in accordance with the first and praise him in accordance with the second.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Think about it though. Petersen stays deep, plays angles, doesn't make poor decisions with the puck and generally leaves the defense to mop up around him.

With Quick you have a guy who challenges hard, makes unbelievably athletic last ditch saves, but isn't the most positionally sound and isn't the strongest puck handler. He is also more prone to redirection goals because his initial positioning on shots from distance is to drop low then rise up to the puck. Its why his saves often look more spectacular than most.

It is easier to play in front of a Petersen than a Quick, its more logical for a defender. You have to think well, quicker, with Quick in net because he does so many things that most goalies don't do. Defenders with limited experience or slow feet and/or reactions will always have it a little bit tougher because their comfort zones are a little smaller.

When you factor in MacDermid's um, modest skill set, he will perform better in an easier to read situation.

Plus lets not gloss this over, Quick has not played particularly well this year either.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Think about it though. Petersen stays deep, plays angles, doesn't make poor decisions with the puck and generally leaves the defense to mop up around him.

With Quick you have a guy who challenges hard, makes unbelievably athletic last ditch saves, but isn't the most positionally sound and isn't the strongest puck handler. He is also more prone to redirection goals because his initial positioning on shots from distance is to drop low then rise up to the puck. Its why his saves often look more spectacular than most.

It is easier to play in front of a Petersen than a Quick, its more logical for a defender. You have to think well, quicker, with Quick in net because he does so many things that most goalies don't do. Defenders with limited experience or slow feet and/or reactions will always have it a little bit tougher because their comfort zones are a little smaller.

When you factor in MacDermid's um, modest skill set, he will perform better in an easier to read situation.

Plus lets not gloss this over, Quick has not played particularly well this year either.
Well explained

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I have not seen very much of the physicality he is supposed to be bringing to the lineup during the actual run of play. Smashing someone on the boards or using that size and strength to dislodge someone from the crease would be nice. Absolutely punish players like Regher did on the Kings. Problem is MacD is rarely in position to do so.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
He's both. Im fine with him on the team if he fights. It's his best asset by far. Having the ability to keep other teams honest is very important. When he's not fighting and playing small, his inabilities at defense make it easy to scratch him.

It's up to him, if he can improve his speed, decision making, and defensive awareness, that'd be great. If there is one thing keeping him on the team it's because he's top 5 heavy weight in the NHL, maybe even top 3 after wilson and reaves.

How would I play him?

Play him against hardnosed teams, and maybe teams lower than the Kings in my opinion. And sit him out against teams higher in the standings and or soft teams that tend to be more skill based anyways.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I have not seen very much of the physicality he is supposed to be bringing to the lineup during the actual run of play. Smashing someone on the boards or using that size and strength to dislodge someone from the crease would be nice. Absolutely punish players like Regher did on the Kings. Problem is MacD is rarely in position to do so.
This. He seems to only be good for staged fights.

Reactions: cyclones22

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think he is a good 7-8th defenseman to have around, but he is a little bit of a liability. If our defense had more experience it wouldn't be an issue.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Well explained
Don't get me wrong, I am sure guys love knowing that there is someone behind them capable of bailing them out over and over again, making saves he has no right to make. But just in general there are likely far more situations where signals get crossed with a goalie like Quick, and a player of MacDermid's caliber needs as much help as he can get.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I would agree for the most part, but he has been noticably much more aggressive over the past few games.

Reactions: BigKing

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
He’s a fine player and brings a willingness to do a tough job. The only issue is overuse due to a lack of depth. If the spot Maata is taking up had better results, then MacD slots in nicely as a #6/7 defenseman.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
This. He seems to only be good for staged fights.

Who is the director of this stage show? Do they run through a dress rehearsal the day before?

The term "staged fight" is stupid. What's worse is that it seems to be applied whenever a tough guy gets into a fight that doesn't take place immediately following a big hit or cheap shot. Even then, if two HW's fight, many call it "staged".

The audio is clear as day in the last MacDermid fight: bench is shouting and banging their sticks even before a punch is thrown. They don't seem to think it is staged and the only ones that disparage it are those with zero skin in the game.

@bland Agree that he has been better with the physicality lately. I'm obviously a fan of his but I have been down on his play more this season than in year's past because he hasn't been lining guys up at the blueline and taking runs at key players. He has to provide that or else he should play even less than he does now. His hitting game goes much farther to keep team's honest than his fighting skills: he has KO'd more guys with hits than he has with fists.

@cyclones22 It's just a much different game than when Regher was putting guys in the tunnel of death by grabbing them before the goal line and driving them into the corner glass. Hell, I feel like the game was called different during Regher's final years but the refs kind of looked the other way on him and let him keep playing the same way. If this was 10 years ago, MacD is abusing guys in front of the net but they will call the slightest stuff now. That's why he has to be looking for those big hits and needs to connect on them from time-to-time.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I have no issue with MacD as the 7th defenseman. The Kings need a physical guy to prevent other teams taking liberties. This is something the younger players on the team don't have yet.

He's also insurance in case something happens to Maatta. MacD is at 64 games played and 70 is the min. requirement for the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad