MacDermid-Need or Liability

Is he more of a need, liability, or somewhere in between?

• Total voters

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I was gonna say 'how much do they hate clague that he hasn't been back' but I like BigKing's theory better

I mean, I think there have been some deviations like keeping Bjornfot up here since they ripped off a six game win streak or whatever it was. Things like that lead to some raised expectations and you sometimes have to reward your players as a GM. Much like DL getting Sekera after a seven game win streak in 2015, Blake sticks with Bjornfot because it is important that he rewards these guys and has them keep trying to make the playoffs v. mailing it like we've seen the past two seasons. They won't make the playoffs and they will have wound up burning a year off the ELC but it is worth it in the long run for the reason I mentioned plus Bjornfot's development in general.

When you see rumors of wanting to upgrade LD with some awesome talent, sure...who doesn't want to do that. But that doesn't sound like a TDL type move unless Blake gets crazy value. Roll with what they have the rest of the way and if they make the playoffs then that is gravy. Keep all of your powder dry and acquire some more powder via a Top 10 draft pick (hopefully) if they miss. Go into the offseason flush with cap space, assets and some of the veterans one year closer to contracts that will soon be over.

Exciting times. It's going to all be up to Blake now to put this thing together correctly. I love dumping on the guy but I hope to be praising him next season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, I think there have been some deviations like keeping Bjornfot up here since they ripped off a six game win streak or whatever it was. Things like that lead to some raised expectations and you sometimes have to reward your players as a GM. Much like DL getting Sekera after a seven game win streak in 2015, Blake sticks with Bjornfot because it is important that he rewards these guys and has them keep trying to make the playoffs v. mailing it like we've seen the past two seasons. They won't make the playoffs and they will have wound up burning a year off the ELC but it is worth it in the long run for the reason I mentioned plus Bjornfot's development in general.

When you see rumors of wanting to upgrade LD with some awesome talent, sure...who doesn't want to do that. But that doesn't sound like a TDL type move unless Blake gets crazy value. Roll with what they have the rest of the way and if they make the playoffs then that is gravy. Keep all of your powder dry and acquire some more powder via a Top 10 draft pick (hopefully) if they miss. Go into the offseason flush with cap space, assets and some of the veterans one year closer to contracts that will soon be over.

Exciting times. It's going to all be up to Blake now to put this thing together correctly. I love dumping on the guy but I hope to be praising him next season.

I'm in total agreement, a deadline move is futile. A FUTURES move, I could see--but no one is going to cough those guys up willingly/without a high price, never mind what that means for the expansion draft, never never mind what that means for a prospect pool still defining themselves as players. For all we know Cole Hults goes full Brian Leetch or something. I think it's too early for those megamoves given the bulk of our best prospects have barely put their blades on Staples Center ice.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020

Spot on. I like Blake. I am excited for the same reasons you listed. We all know how I feel about Tmac though lol. What are your feeling on him? I wouldn't be mad if we got rid of him sooner rather than later, but I also wouldn't mind eating crow and praising him a year from now.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Spot on. I like Blake. I am excited for the same reasons you listed. We all know how I feel about Tmac though lol. What are your feeling on him? I wouldn't be mad if we got rid of him sooner rather than later, but I also wouldn't mind eating crow and praising him a year from now.

T-Mac feels like a guy that has been at the helm for some teams that didn't meet expectations, IMO. He's also coached two of the biggest playoff chokes of the last decade in the 2014 Reverse Sweep and then the Oilers blowing that game in Anaheim and then losing in seven games. He got replaced by an asshole in San Jose who then took them to the SCF the next season but Edmonton can't say anything great after dumping him.

I'm not sure if he is "the guy" that puts them over the top but I think he is more-than-competent enough to coach this team during the rebuild. I feel like he is an offensive minded guy that usually has a good PP and we're seeing that this season. I think he is a player's coach which is apparently important for the vets and maybe for these prospects but there will come a time when they might need a hard-ass back there again.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
T-Mac feels like a guy that has been at the helm for some teams that didn't meet expectations, IMO. He's also coached two of the biggest playoff chokes of the last decade in the 2014 Reverse Sweep and then the Oilers blowing that game in Anaheim and then losing in seven games. He got replaced by an asshole in San Jose who then took them to the SCF the next season but Edmonton can't say anything great after dumping him.

I'm not sure if he is "the guy" that puts them over the top but I think he is more-than-competent enough to coach this team during the rebuild. I feel like he is an offensive minded guy that usually has a good PP and we're seeing that this season. I think he is a player's coach which is apparently important for the vets and maybe for these prospects but there will come a time when they might need a hard-ass back there again.
Wonder if when the Kings need a hard-ass again Sullivan will be coming towards the end of his time with Pittsburgh

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I like him, sure he gets beat on the outside more times than not, but I LOVE the character he brings to the lineup. Him crossing the Red Line during warmies the other night in San Jose was classic!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
You know what would be awesome? If it was possible to switch MacDermid to wing LOL. He could be a huge disrupting winger who fights and throws big hits, albeit the chance of that happening, let alone working, is about 0.05%
at some point with the reign, he did play a game on wing.. this actually came up a week or two back and i couldn't find the article mentioning it, it's probably buried on LAKI or reign insider somewhere though

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You know what would be awesome? If it was possible to switch MacDermid to wing LOL. He could be a huge disrupting winger who fights and throws big hits, albeit the chance of that happening, let alone working, is about 0.05%
We’d become a 3 line team. It’s a non starter, it’s effectively going 11-7 and we’d almost be on the PK every time he took a shift on wing... actually, I guess it’d be like playing Wagner, so I might have a rethink... :sarcasm:

I’m playing obviously (re: Wagner). I am completely serious when I say it wouldn’t work.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
They should stop trying to turn him into a respectable d-man and instead have him be a loose cannon. Tell him to put the fear of god into the other team and talk mad shit. Let him take a couple of instigator penalties and just beat the snot out of some pests. Who is gonna stop him other than maybe the department of player safety? He'd be a terror out there.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
They should stop trying to turn him into a respectable d-man and instead have him be a loose cannon. Tell him to put the fear of god into the other team and talk mad shit. Let him take a couple of instigator penalties and just beat the snot out of some pests. Who is gonna stop him other than maybe the department of player safety? He'd be a terror out there.
So in other words, move him to wing?

Reactions: VILARGOD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->